Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to take this Ficus benjamina 'Kiki'

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Where to take this Ficus benjamina 'Kiki' - Page 2 Empty Re: Where to take this Ficus benjamina 'Kiki'

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:01 pm

Please don't misunderstand this. But, how many trees do you have? Sometime when people have only a few they tend to worry the tree to death, as opposed to those of us who have too many and then to neglect certain trees to death.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Where to take this Ficus benjamina 'Kiki' - Page 2 Empty Re: Where to take this Ficus benjamina 'Kiki'

Post  Ryan Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:Please don't misunderstand this. But, how many trees do you have? Sometime when people have only a few they tend to worry the tree to death, as opposed to those of us who have too many and then to neglect certain trees to death.

Laughing I've got probably close to 50 trees, all, if not most, being Ficus.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:13 pm

That is probably enough to keep you busy.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:That is probably enough to keep you busy.

It most certainly is Smile

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:09 pm

ryan, I had a few comments. I know this is a kiki and they are known for more compact growth and smaller leaves but it is still a benjamani so its chances at success are still lower than a retusa (especially if you are going for a shohin) I believe to keep leaves close to the trunk on something that dies back if no green growth is left, you will have to be continually cutting it back which is not good for the long term health of the tree. Also as an owner of several old kiki, 2 of them have reverted back to standard benjamani appearance over time, so just be aware that it can happen. I would really recommend if you are going to use any variety of the benjamani species you would have them be larger trees, for appearance reasons as well as health reasons (as stated above). I would would STRONGLY recommend using willow leaf or retusa if you want a shohin. Also, this is just my personal opinion, but please resist the urge to style a ficus like a pine tree as your picture shows above. If you like deciduous and tropical trees I would advise you to get robert stevens book Mission of Transformation, it is wonderful for styling advise on the tree species you seem to like to grow.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:05 pm

bucknbonsai wrote:ryan, I had a few comments. I know this is a kiki and they are known for more compact growth and smaller leaves but it is still a benjamani so its chances at success are still lower than a retusa (especially if you are going for a shohin) I believe to keep leaves close to the trunk on something that dies back if no green growth is left, you will have to be continually cutting it back which is not good for the long term health of the tree. Also as an owner of several old kiki, 2 of them have reverted back to standard benjamani appearance over time, so just be aware that it can happen. I would really recommend if you are going to use any variety of the benjamani species you would have them be larger trees, for appearance reasons as well as health reasons (as stated above). I would would STRONGLY recommend using willow leaf or retusa if you want a shohin. Also, this is just my personal opinion, but please resist the urge to style a ficus like a pine tree as your picture shows above. If you like deciduous and tropical trees I would advise you to get robert stevens book Mission of Transformation, it is wonderful for styling advise on the tree species you seem to like to grow.

Thanks for the reply!

I've always had good luck with back bud on benjamina, so I'm not too afraid of it not backbudding. I've got plenty of retusa and Willow Leaf and a good portion of those are shohin. And I know all the criticisms about styling a tree a certain way, and yada yada yada, but yeah it's all personal opinion so I'll just let the tree style itself and just let it grow Cool

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:31 pm

old kiki, 2 of them have reverted back to standard benjamani appearance over time, so just be aware that it can happen.

I have had that happen also. I tried to remove the larger growth, but the tree would not cooperate and the entire tree reverted.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:03 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:old kiki, 2 of them have reverted back to standard benjamani appearance over time, so just be aware that it can happen.

I have had that happen also. I tried to remove the larger growth, but the tree would not cooperate and the entire tree reverted.

Thanks, so then should I watch out for, and remove, larger leaves?

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:21 pm

Ryan wrote:
Billy M. Rhodes wrote:old kiki, 2 of them have reverted back to standard benjamani appearance over time, so just be aware that it can happen.

I am not sure you can do anything to prevent the tree reverting. It might be age related, the one I had was probably 10 to 15 years in my collection.

Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:56 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:
Ryan wrote:

I am not sure you can do anything to prevent the tree reverting. It might be age related, the one I had was probably 10 to 15 years in my collection.

Thanks Billy.

Yep, it's a benjamina all right. I move it from one area to the next and it's dropping leaves like you wouldn't believe Rolling Eyes

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2