Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

checking topics

+4
Poink88
JimLewis
Ryan
moyogijohn
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

checking topics Empty checking topics

Post  moyogijohn Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:37 am

Why is it when i read a new topic or respond to it,,,the same thing goes to my yahoo mail account ???? please tell me how to stop this because i follow the topics here...it also makes me think i have mail to read....thank you john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

checking topics Empty Re: checking topics

Post  Ryan Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:39 am

Hi John,

You should be able to unsubscribe to the thread if you follow a link in the email that you receive.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:43 am

Thank you Ryan,,, I tried to find out how....take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:47 am

For example, for some reason I just got an email saying you replied to this topic, here is what the email said:

"Hello ,

You receive this e-mail because you are watching the topic, "checking topics" at "Internet Bonsai Club". This topic has received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to view the newly posted replies, no more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t8881-checking-topics#92989

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the "Stop watching this topic link" located at the bottom of the topic above, or by clicking the following link:

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t8881-checking-topics?unwatch=topic

--
Internet Bonsai Club"

I clicked the second link and I will no longer be notified.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:01 am

Maybe there was another software update. I noticed that my Gmail account had a dozen or two IBC notifications of watched topics. Since I have NEVER marked a topic to be watched, it's obviously a glitch somewhere.

I just checked my profile. There are two areas that offer to have the site notify you by e-mail when you have a message or replies. They were checked YES. I'd never done that, either. That's probably why I suddenly got all those notifications. So I'd guess a software change had a couple of new defaults. They are now checked NO.

So check your profile too.

Last edited by JimLewis on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:08 am; edited 3 times in total
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:04 am

Same here. Actually, I still get notification even after I unsubscribed.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:05 am

Agree...I get notices that I am watching threads, but have never selected that option. Maybe Kev can chime in. Question
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:38 am

Hi,

you need to go into your Profile settings and click 'preferences' and then you get a row of tick boxes where you choose what happens ie to add a signature, recieve an email, and loads of other choices etc etc, default settings mean you get an email, untick the box and then you dont.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:00 am

Not always, Marcus. I too am getting email notifications for threads I have posted in DESPITE having tried on many occasions to uncheck the relevant box in Profile. Kev has been alerted to the situation and I suspect it'll just be one of the occasional glitches thrown up by forumotion.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:00 pm

hi Fiona,
i'm only getting that happen on the american thread we are playing with at the moment, doing virts of a bit of raft material. I know if i re tick the box i get emails on every post so at least it is mostly working.

like you say, it sounds like a little glitch in the machine somewhere.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:44 pm

fiona wrote:Not always, Marcus. I too am getting email notifications for threads I have posted in DESPITE having tried on many occasions to uncheck the relevant box in Profile. Kev has been alerted to the situation and I suspect it'll just be one of the occasional glitches thrown up by forumotion.

That's funny, I have the exact opposite problem. Even though all of my appropriate preferrences boxes are checked, I RARELY receive an email notifying me that someone else has commented. I'll have to pay more attention to the "watch topic" choice at the bottom of the page, maybe thta's my problem...
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:03 pm

What seems to be happening is that when you respond on a thread for the first time you automatically generate the Watch this Topic function and it will remain there (even with clicking on the relevant bit in Profile) unless you click the Stop Watching function.

I've been playing around with things and that seems to be the general case - at least on Chrome. Kev is on the case however and no doubt will wave his magic wand at some point soon.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:23 pm

Thank you FIONA ,, Like i posted i follow all the topics here... how are things going for you this winter ??? i am tired of it now !!!! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:15 pm

Winter? What winter?

We've had temperatures of 11Celsius (51Fahrtigrade) in the last week. That's practically summer for us in Scotland. Smile
I've had to take off five layers of sweaters and my sealskin underwear. Cool
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:19 pm

PS to get that Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion I used a conversion chart that rather optimistically goes up to 50C. We usually have to sit in the oven to get that warm.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:26 pm

Thank you for the reply ..maybe I Should NOT know all you have taken off !!!!!! take care JOHN

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:32 pm

thanks FIONA,,, MAYBE I should not know ALL you have had to take OFF !!!!!! You take care HA HA HA John

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:05 pm

Try this:

go into Profiles. Go to the Topics Being watched tab. Unselect all you find there that you do not want to "follow" (there's a "select all" button at bottom of page. See if that does it. I've had no more messages since I zapped the 2 dozen of "watched" topics I found there.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:04 am

Thank you JIM ,,,I WILL LOOK THERE ALSO...TAKE CARE JOHN

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:18 pm

My inbox is clear this morning, so I think it works.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:49 pm

Please ,,Is anyone still haveing the topics from our internet bonsai club that you read and reply to going right to your e mail account ????? I STILL DO and have looked in my profile to change this...No luck yet....thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:46 pm

John, you probably have a relic from a couple of weeks ago when the system went mad. To get rid of it you need to do three things:

first and second: go to Profile and make sure you have checked the box for not receiving notifications under Preferences. Then while you're in Profile, move along the drop-down menus to Topic(s) being Watched. If it's showing any, check the boxes then go down the page and click on the Stop watching the selected topics button. It will prompt you to confirm Yes or No to this.
third: after you have finished writing a response and posted it, go to the bottom right of the topic page (should be just under the latest post on the thread) and if it says Stop Watching Topic for Replies, then click on that. (It normally reads Watch This Topic for Replies and that should be the default)

If any more present themselves in your email inbox, do any or all of the above again.

Eventually you will get to the point where the system gives up trying to send you emails. At that point raise a flag and hope your victory is not short-lived. cheers
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:46 pm

fiona wrote:John, you probably have a relic from a couple of weeks ago when the system went mad. To get rid of it you need to do three things:

first and second: go to Profile and make sure you have checked the box for not receiving notifications under Preferences. Then while you're in Profile, move along the drop-down menus to Topic(s) being Watched. If it's showing any, check the boxes then go down the page and click on the Stop watching the selected topics button. It will prompt you to confirm Yes or No to this.
third: after you have finished writing a response and posted it, go to the bottom right of the topic page (should be just under the latest post on the thread) and if it says Stop Watching Topic for Replies, then click on that. (It normally reads Watch This Topic for Replies and that should be the default)

If any more present themselves in your email inbox, do any or all of the above again.

Eventually you will get to the point where the system gives up trying to send you emails. At that point raise a flag and hope your victory is not short-lived. cheers

I, too, am still getting the emails. I did the above the first time I was having the issue, and it went away for a few weeks. However it is back again and keeps sending me emails from the same thread, even after I uncheck the box multiple times.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:56 pm

Did you go back into your profile and check the other two locations?

That fix immediately stopped all the unwanted mail for me.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:09 pm

And for me. It seems you have do all three to make it effective.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next