Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Humidity trays really needed?

4 posters

Go down

Humidity trays really needed? Empty Humidity trays really needed?

Post  remist17 Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:15 pm

I am just starting to put my trees into ceramic pots. Prior to this I had plastic pots with tryas. I watered the plants on the table. Now with the new pots I either have to buy new trays or take them to the sink on by one.

What do some of you do to water inside Bonsai plants and not carry them back and forth?
remist17
remist17

Back to top Go down

Humidity trays really needed? Empty Re: Humidity trays really needed?

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:19 pm

I don't have inside Bonsai. Humidity trays are bad for your trees. If you water over a tray, dump the tray each time. Bonsai isn't meant to be easy.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:42 pm

remist17 wrote:

What do some of you do to water inside Bonsai plants and not carry them back and forth?

I dont do anything, I carry them back and forth and learn to live with it, some of the larger stuff goes in the bathtub and gets shower watered.

Except for the boston Ivy I've been growing out, he's so entangled with everyone else for the winter that I just lift the gallon nursery pot he's in and put it in a stock pot and water him where he is. The stock pot catches the water, I let him soak for half an hour then lift him out and empty the pot.

My BIG Benjamina is lifted up onto a plant stand with a mixing bowl underneath and watered that way, till I fill and empty the bowl at least 6 or 7 times.

Pain in the neck. But if you want tropicals in the cold north without a heated greenhouse...there you go
-Jay
This is one half of what my wife calls "the jungle window" and is about 1/3 of the total vegetation that is growing inside my house right now.
Humidity trays really needed? Img_3815
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Bunsen Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:32 pm

I use an old aquarium, with a glass top. Generally, the trees transpiration takes care of watering. I periodically check and will add water when I add fertilizer. The pots sit on a bottom layer of rock and charcoal.
Bunsen
Bunsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down