Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great Seeedling Stock for Forests and Field Growing

4 posters

Go down

Great Seeedling Stock for Forests and Field Growing Empty Great Seeedling Stock for Forests and Field Growing

Post  Ryan B Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:30 pm

Hello all, I just got in a huge batch of bare root seedlings of Japanese classical species, and I'm very happy with them. He's got like 12 or 13 species, and they're way cheaper than other places I've gotten them. Thought our share where to get them before he sells out(he always does!) Use the promo code "bonsai" for 20%off.

http://kaedebonsai.com/2011/09/26/201112-seedlings-for-bonsai-availability-list/

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Great Seeedling Stock for Forests and Field Growing Empty Re: Great Seeedling Stock for Forests and Field Growing

Post  drgonzo Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:37 pm

this guy has caught my eye as well, could you take a couple pics of what you got from him Ryan, I'd love to see what his stock looks like. I've been looking around for some bare root stock this winter for forest plantings next spring
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Great Seeedling Stock for Forests and Field Growing Empty Re: Great Seeedling Stock for Forests and Field Growing

Post  Guest Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:19 am

I just recieved a 4" pot trident maple from him. Great packaging and wonderful price ($8 + $10 flat shipping)

BTW- (I'm new to Bonsai) This is my first seedling, at what point should I repot this? What type of soil mix should I use to repot it in? I understand this is going to have to grow for many years before I can do anything with it.

Great Seeedling Stock for Forests and Field Growing Triden10

It is about a foot tall with a bit more than a 1/4" caliper

Thanks!

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:57 am

What you could do, Is buy about 8 more of these guys, and do a nice forest planting with them in the spring. For now, take this guy and stick him in the ground, use your time in winter to learn about Bonsai soil and cultivation techniques, field growing for trunk caliper and the care of Maple trees in general. This is in my opinion is at least 7-8 years away from a bonsai pot at the very earliest. Thats why a forest planting is so satisfying for a beginner (or anyone) its a bit more of an instant gratification.. Tridents make Jim dandy forests too.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:03 am

Or buy a bunch and do something like this:

http://www.dugzbonsai.com/tridenttour1.htm

That would require a large amount though Laughing

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:48 am

kmeng wrote:I just recieved a 4" pot trident maple from him. Great packaging and wonderful price ($8 + $10 flat shipping)

BTW- (I'm new to Bonsai) This is my first seedling, at what point should I repot this? What type of soil mix should I use to repot it in? I understand this is going to have to grow for many years before I can do anything with it.
Thanks!

Nice hat and are those Yellow Jacket Colors?

Visit the Monestary in Conyers and get a more established specimen to practice on.
Remember though, bonsai are like potato chips, no one can have just one, or since you are in Atlanta, like Chili dogs from the Varsity.

Regards,
Rob otherwise known as the Bonsai Golfer
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:58 pm

@Rob,
Thanks for the compliment! And no those are not Yellow Jacket colors. Those are my Fraternity colors- I bleed Red & Black (Go Dawgs!!). I work in the conyers area so I do need to stop by the monestary there, I have a few other boxwoods I picked up from a nursery that I am going to be working on. But I love the maple trees and I can't wait for it to grow a nice trunk and nebari.

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:30 pm

I'm taking the time to add my voice in praise of the high quality seedlings I received today from Matt Ouwinga at Kaede Bonsai-en. All had excellent roots, Nice healthy buds, obviously very healthy stock. He even took the time to custom grade them at my request for forest plantings, and boy did he ever hook me up!

I ordered 14 Zelcova he sent me 19
I ordered 10 Hornbeam he sent me 15
i ordered 12 Trident's he sent me 25!!!!

He's also a very nice fella to work with!
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down