Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Field Specimen!

2 posters

Go down

First Field Specimen! Empty First Field Specimen!

Post  briddell Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:07 pm

Greetings IBC!

I recently ( today, 30 minutes ago ) looked around my apartment complex and found some trees. I have a nice "Cedar" tree that is actually a juniper. In Kentucky, everyone calls it a cedar for some reason. I also have a Maple of unknown variety seedling. The seedling itself is rather boring, but I am hoping to use it as a graft for the other maple I collected. The other maple had a nice thick( ish ) trunk so I started digging and discovered a curve in the trunk buried and then, some semi radial root spread. By semi-radial I mean it was radial root spread, but only on 1 half.

I hope the trees make it, but if they don't, they were FREE by definition. It was hard work.
Very Happy

Briddell
briddell
briddell

Back to top Go down

First Field Specimen! Empty Re: First Field Specimen!

Post  Jim Doiron Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:52 pm

Were these just volunteer seedlings or landscape stuff? Keep those moist (but not wet) and in some shade and hopefully they will make a full recovery. I am planning on trying to collect some large bushes tomorrow (depending on the weather) to see if I can get them settled in before the winter. Come to think of it are you in town and how strong is your back? Very Happy

These are the ones I'm going to attempt to dig. There will be come-alongs and ropes doing most of the work so hopefully I will get large root balls.
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t6941-good-time-in-the-fall-to-dig-ilex-crenata
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  briddell Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:12 am

I am in Louisville now, but will not be in town next weekend. However, on the 27th ( 2 weekends from now ) I wil be back. I would love to come help, as long as I get one Smile I hope I can come!

As for the field specimens, right now I have them in gallon bags with some water to keep it moist. After I collected the trees, I got 2 identical glazed pots roughly 2 - 4/5 inches for the dimensions. I will be putting the maple sapling in one and the the Juniper in the other. My larger maple I will just put in a plastic pot until next year, or until I get a large pot.

I hope I can help you, if you will be digging them up when I am back again.

Briddell Very Happy
briddell
briddell

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down