Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Elm forest

+2
moyogijohn
quatrefi
6 posters

Go down

Elm forest Empty Elm forest

Post  Guest Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:18 am

Hi IBC.
It's been a few months now since I made a forest tree planting, today my hands feels doing a forest planting again and Chinese elms are my victims today.
The ones in the foreground below are the little elms with long extended shoots.
Elm forest Dsc_1518

After:
Elm forest Dsc_1519

Elm forest Dsc_1611

I still feel the pot is quite small, but I got no wider pot at the moment. any suggestion is welcome too. feel free to criticize.

Regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Elm forest Empty Re: Elm forest

Post  quatrefi Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:53 pm

Hello Jun, nice forest.
Maybe you could incline a little bit the last tree on the right?
He seems a little bit "straight"
JF

quatrefi

Back to top Go down

Elm forest Empty Elm forest

Post  moyogijohn Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:15 pm

JUN ,,I like your new forest,,my kind of trees !! must be nice to be able to work trees all year... hope all is well take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:49 am

quatrefi wrote:Hello Jun, nice forest.
Maybe you could incline a little bit the last tree on the right?
He seems a little bit "straight"
JF

Thanks JF.

We'll see what happens when the foliage is fuller. branches on the right side can also be extended to counter the visual balance.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:52 am

Thanks John!

Yes we can work on most trees (but not all) all year round. but I envy your Autumn colors and the drama of total defoliation brought upon by winter.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:02 am

That's an interesting group of trees. The straight trunk on the right doesn't bother me, and I don't think changing the angle would improve it. It provides a nice "anchor" of sorts compared to the movement in the other trees.

Are you planning on filling in the big "gap" in the middle at all? Perhaps by bringing some foliage behind/to the right of the biggest tree? That area looks a little too open to me.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:06 am

hi Jun,
nice collection of elm trees.

for me the most important space on the group is in the curve to the bottom left of the main tree - but at the moment this space is totally filled with the little tree at the back. The small tree that looks darker has a nice curve, and if turned to the left this one would go in that area- then both main trunk and back trunk will complement each other. The small tree taken from the back left could then go to the far right and the straight line appearance of the secondary tree would be softened a little. i really like the main tree - very nice trunk.

btw.....did you see the report of the giant crocodile trapped alive - over 1000kg !

best regards Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:32 am

Hello Jun.
The two pictures give a different idea, but for me the right side tree is better
as a solitary, i do think it will be difficult to solve this with branch placement only.
Maybe a different composition?
Regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:59 am

Thanks Chris.

very good observation.
yes, I am planning to extend the first branch of the main tree longer to the right side to occupy a bit of the empty space.

regards,
jun Smile

Thanks marcus.

For now the small tree looks out of place because of the pot size. I am making a longer pot for the elms and the left most part of the new pot would be left empty, the final composition would look like a group of trees near a river or lake.

I haven't seen the giant croc yet. It is a monster, a 21footer, and the biggest one caught alive... I bet It would make a lot of leather shoes. hehehe
BTW, the news I heard is that the wife/partner of the croc is much bigger as seen and described by the villagers in the area.

regards,
jun Smile

Sunip,

Thanks.

We'll see the final outcome when all the foliage of the other trees filled in.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Katoom Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:59 am

Nice trees Jun, I like the curves of the trunks and the branches.

Cheers!

Jon

Katoom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down