Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pine needle problem

+3
rck89
GaryWood
Andrew Legg
7 posters

Go down

Pine needle problem Empty Pine needle problem

Post  Andrew Legg Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:23 am

Hi All,

Japanese Black Pine. Tips of needles - 1mm from tip brown, and then the next 3 or 4 mm light green and then the rest of the needle is a normal colour. Is it needle blight? Any ideas what it could be and how to "fix it"?

Cheers, and thanks,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Pine needle problem Empty Re: Pine needle problem

Post  GaryWood Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:41 am

Andrew, I'm not familiar with pathogens in you area and not many people in the world can "diagnose" without a photo. But, usually fungal or insect damage is not consistent and uniform at the tips. Most common is environmental or usually drought or root-zone problem.
Wood
http://thingsofwood-gary.blogspot.com/

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks Gary - I'll try to get a photo up, but will have to take one first!

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  rck89 Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Andrew - Your problem sure sounds like needle cast. I have a Japanese White Pine with the same problem. I've been treating it for about a year with Deconyl and Benomyl (which is no longer available). Both treatments have yielded little visible results, save to slightly slow down the progress of the infection. I'm goning to keep trying with higher dosages every 7 - 10 days, even this Winter. Its a pain to take this tree in and out of storage but I don't think I have much choice.
rck89
rck89

Back to top Go down

Post  rck89 Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:10 pm

Andrew - PS - some of my needles look like Zebras!
rck89
rck89

Back to top Go down

Post  ananursing Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:41 am

You might actually appreciate the wood tiny sharp needles if not for the fresh mushrooms that are growing up in it. I individually like the look and the fragrance of wood tiny sharp needles when I walk on them. I wish I had your wood plants. My sis has several large wood plants n her garden and I regularly go over and " rake " the tiny sharp needles for her to use on my increased bed frames as compost.

ananursing

Back to top Go down

Post  handy mick Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:43 pm

scratch

handy mick

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter Adams Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:09 am

Hi Guys,

Sounds like needle cast. Treatment consists of removing and burning any discolored needles, spraying with daconyl and copper fungicides alternating on a three week basis from when temperatures any part of the day reach 50 degrees F, and improving ventilation and keeping excess moisture off the needles. Providing you are vigilant, you can stop or lower the incidence of fresh attacks if you interrupt the cycle in this way. The trick is to try and stop the fungus infecting new growth.

Hope this works for you.

Peter Adams

Peter Adams

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:31 pm

Yeah, needlecast. Very hard if not impossible to eliminate in climates like mine where we get a fair amount of rain. I had to treat every 2-3 wks last yr with Daconil and Cooper as well. If I stopped, it came back. So for me, I think of it as a chronic disease, treatable...kinda like hypertension lol
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Pine needle problem Empty Needle Cast

Post  Peter Adams Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:45 pm

Try living where I do north of Seattle! Like I said, be persistent and it is controllable.

Peter Adams

Peter Adams

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryWood Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:52 pm

Andrew Legg wrote:Hi All,

Japanese Black Pine. Tips of needles - 1mm from tip brown, and then the next 3 or 4 mm light green and then the rest of the needle is a normal colour. Is it needle blight? Any ideas what it could be and how to "fix it"?

Cheers, and thanks,

Andrew
These symptoms are not Needle Cast. It' an old post ans a pic was never posted. Two points to bring up. Recognising the many needle cast and difference between it and mechanical damage (broken needles) or drought.
Wood

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

Pine needle problem Empty pine needle problem

Post  Peter Adams Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:28 pm

Hi,

If you have "zebra" needles -- without a pic -- sounds like you have needle cast given your damp conditions. Look for older needles which are brown and spotted with tiny black spots, this is the next stage of needle cast.

Peter adams

Peter Adams

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:58 am

Peter Adams wrote:Try living where I do north of Seattle! Like I said, be persistent and it is controllable.

Peter Adams

It's where I've always wanted to live, Seattle area that is! And I can only imagine!
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryWood Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:11 am

GaryWood wrote:
Andrew Legg wrote:Hi All,

Cheers, and thanks,

Andrew
These symptoms are not Needle Cast. It' an old post ans a pic was never posted. Two points to bring up. Recognising the many needle cast and difference between it and mechanical damage (broken needles) or drought.
Wood

Read the original post
Wood

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down