Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

has anybody got a tamarind thats refined

+2
ortizdhs
john5555leonard
6 posters

Go down

has anybody got a tamarind thats refined Empty has anybody got a tamarind thats refined

Post  john5555leonard Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:37 am

hi , anybody got a tamarind thats super refined, i want to see how good they can get. regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

has anybody got a tamarind thats refined Empty has anybody got a tamarind thats refined

Post  ortizdhs Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:45 am

Check out this link

http://www.bonsaieneltropico.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=127932256

This Tamarind is owned by a friend. It was collected locally in Puerto Rico.

Regards

Pedro

ortizdhs

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:47 am

thanks pedro, anymore out there

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

has anybody got a tamarind thats refined Empty Re: has anybody got a tamarind thats refined

Post  reg-i Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:49 am

This is my friends its a little overgrown but what a tree I have some nice smaller ones I can take pics of tomorrow
has anybody got a tamarind thats refined Bonsaiwigerts001
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:46 am

hi thanks , it does,nt help seeing one thats overgrown, what i,m trying to see is how small we can get the leaves. regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

has anybody got a tamarind thats refined Empty Re: has anybody got a tamarind thats refined

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:50 pm

John,

you have to satisfy these conditions.

[1] Heavy twigging
[2] Full sun
[3] Fertilising before defoliation [ about a month ]
[4] Defoliation

if possible in the dry season--- no rain or additional moisture - dew etc.

[5] Water normally for what is safe for a defoliated tree.

Size of whole leaf [ pinnate ?] should be 2 inches [ 5 cm] in length.
Attached is one of my test subjects 11 inches - 28 cm in height [ last year image, new image in a few months.] from seed.
Working on twigging.
Hope this helps.
Khaimraj

has anybody got a tamarind thats refined Tam12115
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:15 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:John,

you have to satisfy these conditions.

[1] Heavy twigging
[2] Full sun
[3] Fertilising before defoliation [ about a month ]
[4] Defoliation

if possible in the dry season--- no rain or additional moisture - dew etc.

[5] Water normally for what is safe for a defoliated tree.

Size of whole leaf [ pinnate ?] should be 2 inches [ 5 cm] in length.
Attached is one of my test subjects 11 inches - 28 cm in height [ last year image, new image in a few months.] from seed.
Working on twigging.
Hope this helps.
Khaimraj

has anybody got a tamarind thats refined Tam12115

Look who's back. I am glad to hear you out again. affraid Very Happy
How are the tamarinds doing? and your other trees as well.

LLB Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Hiya Jun,

not back, someone sent me a private note, asking if I could help out a bit.
All is fine, and I enjoyed looking at your trees and the Pablung display, as well as his helicopter views.
Busy.

I should also add, with Tamarinds, especially if one is growing from examples in nature. Negative spaces are very important and at times thinning out of the foliage from the inside of the canopy. You can get them so dense that they just look like irregular spheres of green. On my side, only through extreme erosion will you see any roots. So I focus on bole to soil fattening.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:39 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Hiya Jun,

not back, someone sent me a private note, asking if I could help out a bit.
All is fine, and I enjoyed looking at your trees and the Pablung display, as well as his helicopter views.
Busy.

I should also add, with Tamarinds, especially if one is growing from examples in nature. Negative spaces are very important and at times thinning out of the foliage from the inside of the canopy. You can get them so dense that they just look like irregular spheres of green. On my side, only through extreme erosion will you see any roots. So I focus on bole to soil fattening.
Later.
Khaimraj

You answered again! You really are back.

Thanks for looking at my trees.
Four more years and they will be ready to face the big league. Wink

You are needed here my friend...
I'll show more interesting trees if you come back sooner...hehehe. and more tamarinds too.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:45 pm

It is good to see you here, back or not back, which ever the case may be.

"So I focus on bole to soil fattening." What does that mean?
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:44 pm

Jun,

ha ha, home today an have the receive replies notification on.

Russell,

how are you?
[ enjoyed your Malphigia, scent must have been heavenly.]

The tamarind is a deeply rooted tree, and growth around the trunk/soil zone is through expansion of the bark. The tree in it's first ten years has fissured bark, similar to a black pine [ which is why, way back then, I tried growing tamarinds, black pine envy.]
As it ages past ten, the bark feature changes to flaking bark. The bark expands outwards at the base and takes on a very irregular shape, all around, but it is rare to see the root. We have quite a few other species of local trees that do this, as do the Japanese. So you have to take this into account when designing a tamarind.

Since this island exports oil from our land and sea wells, we have no real cutting of trees for fuel and young tamarinds tend to be tall and irregularly straight. In fact if you try to bend a tamarind, it will throw out a shoot to grow straight up.

The tree I have left above, was allowed to grow three long extensions, over 3 feet, and all grew downwards for about a foot and then shifted to straight up.

Our abundant sticky clay soils, also produce tamarinds with one tap root and very few side roots. This usually ends up with a dead tree if dug from the wild and the trunk shape being straight does not encourage, the proper way to collect a tree, with introduced soil.

By the way I left images of a 100 year old tamarind in an older thread, easier to explain visually.
Later.
Khaimraj

* as my avatar shows I am testing all the way down to 3" thus far.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:21 pm

jun wrote:... ... Look who's back. I am glad to hear you out again.
... ...You are needed here my friend... ...
Dear Khaimraj, you cannot imagine how much I do second Jun's words!
Good to read again your comments, my friend!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:13 am

never mind the chit chat, lol, lets get back to tamarind, i need to see a good one, and i hav,nt yet

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:05 am

John, have you tried visiting the blog of Budi? He has several well ramified and matured tamarind there.
Mine are not well ramified yet, but I will post it here too later once I get back to my garden. Btw, I got the photos of bucidas grown here locally,show them to you later too.

Regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:17 am

John,

if you google - Tamarind Bonsai -, a few fine examples will show up. From there you can contact the owner for a close-up image if you need to.

I seem to remember you having lots of space and are still quite young, so you could also just buy a few 10 year old collected trees and try your hand. My leaf size reduction technique depends on a very healthy tree and dry air.

I took a read on-line and see defoliation of up to 3 times yearly being suggested. I only defoliate once a year. On my side if the leaves of the tamarind is wetted after 4.00 p.m with chlorinated water, a white fungus can develop on the leaves, which is a pain to deal with.

As usual, which do you prefer, the natural tamarind or the designed [ pine wanna be ] and that would be your idea of a refined tree.
Later.
Khaimraj [ tamarind called tambrand on my side of the world.]

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  ortizdhs Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:10 pm

john5555leonard wrote:hi , anybody got a tamarind thats super refined, i want to see how good they can get. regards john
John:
Check out this Tamarind that was collected in the wild. Look at the before the last picture so you can see the size of the trunk. Also notice the trunk.
Regards
Pedro
http://www.bonsaieneltropico.com/apps/forums/topics/show/5698535-tamarindo-colectado

ortizdhs

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:27 pm

hi guys, khaimraj, right about space wrong about age, i,m ancient already, i,v no time for seeds, i,ll be dead first, i only do big yamadori. pedro , i,v got stuff like that already, i just want to see a refined one, please please please. love john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:21 pm

John,

I think I typed- buy - a ten year old specimen/s.

I make no claims to refined and this tree was cut back severely this year for reduction of height.
From a 3 leafed seedling, in the early 80's and trough grown for trunk size - 5".
Does this help?

The third image is a 75 year old, bull dozed 2 years ago and showing typical trunk / soil development for our climate.

By the way Tamarinds, drop all leaves at the height of our dry season and then begin a long period of flowers, whilst adding back on leaves. Very beautiful.
Khaimraj

has anybody got a tamarind thats refined John_t10
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:16 am

hi khaimraj , sorry, i miss read it and i,m a bit stressy at the momemt, i,v got lots of material , but i,m about 2 yrs off the refinement stage, and i just wanted to see how small we can get the leaves down . regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:37 am

Hey John. this is not a tamarind, but you asked for this sometime ago.
This is your thread anyway, hope you won't mind.

Local Bucida...

has anybody got a tamarind thats refined Dsc_1226

Blur picture, taken from inside my car. forgot to roll down window

has anybody got a tamarind thats refined Dsc_1227

They also get this big... So it is not a bush, and will pass as a bonsai material.

has anybody got a tamarind thats refined Dsc_1228

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:00 pm

John,

2 inch long leaves, on an 18 inch or 14 or 11 inch tall tree is good enough for me presently, if I can get the leaves down to 1 inch and high density, without harming the tree, I will let you know.

Jun, you guys have such great material, we have to keep importing stuff Sad .
Later guys, I am disconnecting and back to off-line status.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  john5555leonard Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:22 pm

thanks guys , jun i have not seen that bucida here, but i,ll look for it now, i could,nt stop laughing about not rolling down the window. regards john

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down