Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

young yet full of fruits-tamarind

+10
my nellie
DreadyKGB
Mohan
jrodriguez
Jerry Meislik
Todd Ellis
peewee1974
Ravi Kiran
Brett Summers
Khaimraj Seepersad
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

young yet full of fruits-tamarind  Empty young yet full of fruits-tamarind

Post  Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:34 am

Its me again folks...oh yeah I'm not done yet!, just keeping away my self from politics and focus more on bonsai,,hehehe. my apology for my last thread.

and for starter I'll present to you my tamarind from seedling. (because Khaimraj is desperately looking for one)...
This is not too old yet but the fruits rarely get this so many on a tamarind bonsai whether old or young tree.

young yet full of fruits-tamarind  Dsc_0910

young yet full of fruits-tamarind  Dsc_0911

young yet full of fruits-tamarind  Dsc_0915

I like this tree----It's young yet full of fruits.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

young yet full of fruits-tamarind  Empty Re: young yet full of fruits-tamarind

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:46 am

Hey, Welcome Back long lost bro.!

Sweet or Sour ? I only allow my trees to bear one or two fruit, and I am using single pod trees.
Do that many fruit weaken the branches ?

Make me happy, in the other Tamarind topic, show me an old tree from your islands, please Smile
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:12 am

Nice to see you back Jun. I thought we lost ya Shocked

Interesting tree

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

young yet full of fruits-tamarind  Empty Jun's back

Post  Ravi Kiran Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:29 am

Hey Jun,

Welcome back!!!!!!!!!!! and what a great way to start!!!!!!!!!!! and what an excellent tree to restart !!!!!!!!!

cheers cheers cheers That's three Cheers

drunken That's me celebrating with bubbly... and Dance

Ravi...
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

young yet full of fruits-tamarind  Empty Welcome Back

Post  peewee1974 Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:45 am

Hello Jun Welcome back
peewee1974
peewee1974

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:05 pm

Jun,
I'm glad you're back on IBC...missed you and your trees!
Best,
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jerry Meislik Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:45 pm

Always wonderful to see our bonsai flowering and fruiting.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:59 pm

Jun,

I guess your tree underwent a drought period before setting fruit. Nice crop for such a young sampalok!!!

Khaimraj,

Like all legume trees, seed pods only cause branch die-back if left to dry in the branches. Once the fruits are ripe, one should remove them to avoid further weakening of the branches. In tamarind bonsai, we have the advantage of a long ripening period, so we are able to enjoy them for a while.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

young yet full of fruits-tamarind  Empty Welcome

Post  Mohan Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:12 pm

Hi Jun,
Good to see you back. Welcome. Laughing
Regards,
Mohan.

Mohan

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:59 pm

Hey Jun,
Glad to have to you back. Things seemed a bit quieter without you here.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks Khaimraj!

This is the sweet "thailand" variety.
Like what Jose had explained its all in the right timing to keep the branches and the tree healthy.
the primary purpose of having a fruiting tree is to have a fruiting tree. for me, without fruit the tamarind bonsai is not really that good, because of the wild appearance of the leaves no matter how you arrange the branches.

I'll try to recover some old pics of mine of the ancient tamarind trees we that we have here and post them in your thread.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:52 pm

Thanks Brett.

i just took a "vacation"...IBC is my family. and just like any other regular family, you can't choose the family members. but you got to love them all.

regards,
jun
Smile

Thank you very much Ravi! I too am very happy to interact with you again.

regards,
jun Smile bounce

Pewee,

thanks a lot!

regards,
jun Smile

Todd,
thanks.
I got lot of new trees to share with you.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:59 pm

Jerry,

thanks.
Me too. Its always a double pleasure to see a fruiting bonsai to have fruit and same with flowering bonsai.

regards,
jun Smile

Jose Luis,

Thanks!
You are right. tamarind in nature gets the most volume of fruit in the driest time of the year. and one got to imitate this condition to come up with really nice bunch of fruit.

I pick my fruits 3 days before it got ripe to promote new healthy growth on the branches. then gradually increase the volume of fertilizer and watering.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:02 pm

Mohan,
thanks!

regards,
jun Smile

Todd,
Thanks!
I guess I'm the nosiest around here. hehehe.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:28 pm

Thanks Jose.

Actually Jun, I found the orchid like flowers more interesting and my trees flower on long,long stems for about 3 to 6 months. I use the fruit here and there as a decorative feature, when the flowering is finished, and as a 1 seed per pod, 3 or 4, like the quince on the Japanese trees, is vey effective.

Not sure about the wild feature, I tend to get results closer to those seen on the trees of Art Atkinson, a tidy full tree.

I also do not have to dry out my trees, but this is probably because flowering for me is a result of timely defoliation once a year , which I use to keep the trees in order and very densified.
Art Atkinson on another forum suggested that since our light is so much stronger, we could go denser of leaf and lower to the ground [ in this case, the pot's rim.]

Please note these are results on trees older than twenty years from seed or 3 leaf seedlings. In fact flaking is becoming more pronounced on one of my trees. Which is why I asked if the group could help me with images of older trees, rather than base my results on just one tree.

Because the Tamarind grows so fast, say 3 inches+ [ 7.5 cm +] a year, with enough experience one could probably produce a good to excellent effort in say 5 years or less. Either by ground with a clay tile or styrotex / styrofoam sheet under the roots, or in a very large pot.
Cutting down by year two would produce the 1,2,3 and possibly 4,5,6. I find a few thick branches on a Tamarind to be more convincing than beyond 6 branches or so. As usual no hard and fast rules.
Year three it is branchlets.

It helps to use compost made of fallen flowers from a large or a few large tamarind trees, which is what I do.

Just cut down a few trees to keep testing my idea of how small can I go and get a high density of branchlets, think zelkova density. To much rain and young leaves will develop fungal spots, a pain, so I wait until March to April before I defoliate, the height of the dry season.

I am having a great time working with this tree.
Later.
Khaimraj

Last edited by Khaimraj Seepersad on Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot some info. Oh you are so macousush !)
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:06 pm

Hello Jun. Great to have you back man. When I first saw this tree, the fruit reminded me of Weaver bird nests hanging from the branches. Very Happy young yet full of fruits-tamarind  Weaver10

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Glad to see you are back, Jun!
Your posts are always so vivid and you make surprises all the time with your trees!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:37 am

Thanks Alexandra!
My apology with Alexander...he really is great. No offense meant to the Greeks.

regards,
jun Smile

Will,
Thanks a bunch!
The downside of the tamarind, specially with this big fruit variety is the proportion of fruits with the tree.
but the fruit really taste good.

regards,
jun

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:19 am

Hi Khaimraj,

This is my other tamarind. ht-80cm...sour taste of fruits and slimmer in size, good for cooking chicken or pork soup called "sinigang", (do you want to get the recipe?) unlike the one above with sweet fruit. I'm aiming for the natural looking design for this tree.

young yet full of fruits-tamarind  Dsc_0211

young yet full of fruits-tamarind  Dsc_0212

regards,
brother jun
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:42 am

Our local Vietnamese restaurant does an incredible soup with big fat gulf shrimp, chopped fresh tomatoes and okra in a lemon tamarind stock. Slap yo mama good! Great, now I'm hungry.

Jun, good to have you back friend!!

R

Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

young yet full of fruits-tamarind  Empty Tamarind

Post  Mohan Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:52 am

Hi Jun,
Should have added.....
Tamarind fruit is not one of the most graceful of the fruits/berries, because of its size, shape and colour. Laughing
The beauty of the tree is in its small, dark green compound leaves, dense canopy and rough bark.
In any case, so many fruits on such a young tree will definitely have an adverse effect on its health.
Feel that it is better to have few fruits, if at all, on branches that can be seen.
Regards,
Mohan.

Mohan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:30 am

Russell Coker wrote:Our local Vietnamese restaurant does an incredible soup with big fat gulf shrimp, chopped fresh tomatoes and okra in a lemon tamarind stock. Slap yo mama good! Great, now I'm hungry.

Jun, good to have you back friend!!

R

Thanks Russell!

try next time the Filipino restaurant...and order for pork "sinigang", with Okra, taro roots, Water spinach and some chili and half cooked tomato, best served fish sauce and warm rice. One of the best soup we have here.

regards,
Jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:44 am

Mohan wrote: Hi Jun,
Should have added.....
Tamarind fruit is not one of the most graceful of the fruits/berries, because of its size, shape and colour. Laughing
The beauty of the tree is in its small, dark green compound leaves, dense canopy and rough bark.
In any case, so many fruits on such a young tree will definitely have an adverse effect on its health.
Feel that it is better to have few fruits, if at all, on branches that can be seen.
Regards,
Mohan.

....The beauty of this tree is that you can have it near the kitchen. Very Happy

Seriously speaking though, for me a fruiting tree should have good bunch of fruits, the trunk and branch arrangement will be secondary. If I will be joining a bonsai exhibit/show with fruiting tree as entry, I will prefer the fruiting tree to have as many fruits as possible,,,there is a different sense of "magical feeling" seeing so many fruits on a small tree...more treat for the viewers.
We have endless tree species with near perfect branch and trunk formations for none fruiting bonsai anyway.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:53 am

...and oh Mohan,,, tamarind tree is one of the toughest trees that I know of, this tree posted here got 2 times or more fruiting in a year. but the tree is still very healthy...but I won't recommend it with other species specially for none tropical fruits.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

young yet full of fruits-tamarind  Empty young let full of fruits

Post  moyogijohn Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:48 am

Well a nice and interesting tree!!! Good to hear from you again....i have never seen this tree i don,t think...both of them look good,i guess they are just in the tropics welcome back take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next