Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need boxwood hints, tips and comments

3 posters

Go down

Need boxwood hints, tips and comments  Empty Need boxwood hints, tips and comments

Post  David D Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:34 pm

I recently aquired 2 boxwoods at a nursery at the clearance rack while out of town. They both had been damaged and were not perfect for landscaping but looked otherwise healthy. I live in zone 4 and hardiness on the plant tag says zone 5. I need comments regarding when to style, how to overwinter and the like. These are real nice looking trunks, one is5cm and the other 6. I have read conflicting posts as to time of year to style and find little information on over wintering. Any comments are appreciated.
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Need boxwood hints, tips and comments  Empty Re: Need boxwood hints, tips and comments

Post  Russell Coker Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:47 pm

Are we talking about B. sempervirens or microphylla????? Don't know if it matters, but it never hurts to be specific when you're asking for advice. Since I'm in zone 8b, I can't offer much help other than to say that sempervirens dies down here for the opposite reason as to your cold hardiness question.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Need boxwood hints, tips and comments  Empty Re: Need boxwood hints, tips and comments

Post  David D Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:11 pm

Sorry it is a microphylla japonica
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Do NO styling now its simply too late in the season, Just leave it as you bought it. You will need to provide it winter protection, my Koreana lives in an un-heated greenhouse for the winter with a cheesecloth draped over it so the foliage doesn't burn when I get the (rare) sunny day. I believe you need to provide light during winter seeing as its an evergreen. So Its a cold frame or a enclosed porch kinda thing your looking for, Iris would know more about the specifics.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down