Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

little white worms!?

2 posters

Go down

little white worms!? Empty little white worms!?

Post  giga Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:39 pm

I've been growing black mangroves from seed and there about 1.5 years old now. I've been growing hem in a clay/sand/mud loam and a none draining pot. Mangroves grow water so that's why a none draining. The last couple weeks I noticed little white worms- 1 cm maybe and they look like miniature earth worms. I thought ligustrumbe fungus gnats or whitefly but there is not a single gnats flying around? Any idea and how do I get rid of them without useing harsh chemicals? Don't thisnk ill be able to get a pic because my camera kinda sucks but ill try. Also I've not noticed any harm to my mangroves or drooping of leaves or discoloring
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

little white worms!? Empty Re: little white worms!?

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:26 pm

It is going to be a critter that thrives in very stagnant water.

Mangroves -- especially BLACK mangroves -- do not live naturally in stagnant water. They live in an environment where clean salt water mixes with clean fresh water and where it is changed twice a day by the tides or by tropical rainstorms.

I can't imagine that the plants are happy, even if they show no symptoms.

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:08 am

There is no standing water just very moist and gets fresh water and has been growing close to 3 inches a month. Trust me I've been growing Mangroves for a long time now and they are happy. I've just never had worms in the soil
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:57 pm

If there are no drainage holes, and contaminants in the water you use -- or contaminants brought in by a foreign agent (dead insect, or what have you) are not going to be washed out of the pot. The soil/water eventually would have to be full of "stuff."
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down