Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trees That Are Unsuitable For Bonsai?

5 posters

Go down

Trees That Are Unsuitable For Bonsai? Empty Trees That Are Unsuitable For Bonsai?

Post  jonkatzmail Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:25 am

What are some trees that are unsuitable for making into bonsai?
I know already: Silver Maple (large leaves), Ailianthus (huge leaves), Empress Tree (big leaves), American Holly (ugly), large-needled pine trees (disproportionate).

jonkatzmail

Back to top Go down

Trees That Are Unsuitable For Bonsai? Empty Re: Trees That Are Unsuitable For Bonsai?

Post  chris Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:43 am

Hi Chris here from sunny Wales !
Nothing is wrong for Bonsai, even large leaf plants can be grown as winter images. Just make sure you start with good material .

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Trees That Are Unsuitable For Bonsai? Empty Re: Trees That Are Unsuitable For Bonsai?

Post  marcus watts Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:20 am

hi Chris
one that has me curious - gorse.............but in the early days i was told it is unsuitable but not told why.........on appearance its a lovely gnarly needle juniper with seasonal flowers - can anyone shed light on its suitability or reasons why its not?
it does bud back from trunk and branch chopping - lots of pompom gorses alongside the coastal footpaths
thanks
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:27 am

Rob Kempinski asked that very same question when he was over. I didn't ask him if it was because he spent much time picking his golf ball out of gorse bushes. Apart from it being a literal pain to work with (jaggy jaggy jaggy) I was told it grows too leggy and shrubby and the density of its growth means that it has virtually no green in the middle.

But then again, we are basing that on what we see when it grows wild in nature and who knows until we've tried it what a more dedicated and careful cultivation might yield. There are plenty junipers that do all the things I have mentioned above and it doesn't stop us using them.

Could be worth a try I think. Anyone got a pair of thick gloves I can borrow?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:36 pm

hi fiona,
you and me both...........I have a feeling urban myth may have become bonsai law maybe..............one thing i do see some years is lots of die back on whole fields of gorse, but then as you say these are just wild plants that are left untended so who knows what would happen as bonsai.

My big juniper rigida is equally painful to work on !! and if left would be leggy on the tips with lots of brown needles inside. I feel some serious dog walking coming on...................
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:57 pm

Some trees have aesthetic properties that make them unsuitable for Bonsai, Large leaves etc...Yet even these species can and are trained. Other species have Horticultural properties that make them unsuitable for training, most often root issues. The species must be comfortable having its roots pruned and re-potted. And that is the only reason my wifes japanese Tree-peony is safe from me Twisted Evil

I will confess to having a sick desire to bonsai a Hickory!
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down