Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FOREST OR GROUP PLANTING, SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

5 posters

Go down

FOREST OR GROUP PLANTING, SUGGESTIONS PLEASE. Empty FOREST OR GROUP PLANTING, SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

Post  my nellie Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:50 pm

At first I remind you that I am considered a beginner (more or less)...
Then, I would like to ask your suggestions as to what kind of trees best fit for my project of attempting a group planting or even a forest. Mixed planting is my preferred choice!
I have been thinking about olives or quercus ilex or even privets. But you may have other more suitable suggestions which are all appreciated.
I would rather the trees to be fast growing, "tough" guys are also preferred so that they withstand ill-treatment Smile
Thank you!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

FOREST OR GROUP PLANTING, SUGGESTIONS PLEASE. Empty Re: FOREST OR GROUP PLANTING, SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

Post  Guest Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi Alexandra.
Chinese elm, if it is your first to do group planting. They are forgiving,easy to find replacement just incase one of the trees die, leaves are small, easy to grow, and fast grower. If you wanted to have a mixed species, be sure they have a relavively same leaf size, bigger leaf tree at the front, smaller leaf trees at the back.

Regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

FOREST OR GROUP PLANTING, SUGGESTIONS PLEASE. Empty Re: FOREST OR GROUP PLANTING, SUGGESTIONS PLEASE.

Post  my nellie Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:39 pm

Thank you, Jun!
I remember some "leftovers" of yours. The usual "S" type elms. And how you have managed to get something interesting out of them. Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Mixed plantings are fun. Do a search here for N.C. Arboretum and you will find pictures of some of the large mixed plantings there.

You do sometimes have a problem with mixed plantings, though, in that trees of different kinds grow at different rates so it can sometimes be difficult to keep the planting in balance.

That said, Jun's suggestion of elms is a good one. You also might try a couple of different juniper -- perhaps one of the upright species growing with one of the prostrate forms. Junipers allow you to incorporate stones into the planting, too.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:38 am

I have been fairly successful with a group planting of Korean hornbeam. Once they are established, they are pretty tough. Starting with bare root seedlings, it takes 4-5 years for them to look like something.
Not for your situation, but for under lights in the winter, I strongly recommend Neea buxifolia.
Three species that did not work under my conditions, Chinese pistachio, sweet acacia, and Italian stone pine. I keep planting serissas in my saikei. When they survive, they are very artistic.
Whatever species you use for a group planting, always keep an extra one in a pot. You never know. You can train it as an individual bonsai in the meantime.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:53 am

I've seen Boxwoods done as a forest and they were very nice, different but nice. I have an American Beech forest going now (don't try that at home) I'm working on a willow leaf ficus forest this year, Cool thing about them is they're tough trees, the roots will fuse and look really cool, and they clone out easy in the summer so you can make more and more additions to the forest as you may need them.

If you can find different seedlings of a specific tree rather than clones, the genetic difference will sometimes allow the autumn colors to vary from tree to tree in the same forest and I think that always looks awesome! Trident Maples make EXCELLENT forests! Seedlings are usually easy to find too. Beautiful in the fall as well.

I love Korean Hornbeams too Iris forest or not.
-jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:25 am

wait hold on.

Zone 9b? Maybee skip the Tridents, except maybe if you get some of those Taiwan tridents I've heard tell of Very Happy

oh zone 9b that must be nice
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:09 pm

Thank you all and each one of you!

@ Iris
That extra tree into a training pot just in case... I haven't thought of. Very clever! Thank you. I am going to use small potted nursery plants not bare root seedlings.

@ Jim
Yes, indeed that was the very thread that made me thinking over this project. And reading through the posts it was the first time that I have seen such a beautiful composition of trees and flowering bushes, I mean the one by A. Joura.
Most times I use the magic search button before asking... Very Happy

@ Jay
I am fond of beeches. I have tried with an English beech (fagus sylvatica) prebonsai, but unfortunately she didn't make it during the second year although it was going seemingly well in the first year.
I have a japanese acer palmatum in training since last November. I have found a suitable place for her at my balkony, plenty of light no direct sunlight, protected from strong winds and it is doing fine. Next spring I will do her first pruning and styling.
Yes, zone 9b is fine and we also have a lot of mediterranean species excellent for bonsai Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:02 pm

I live in a 9A-B zone. My tridents grow like weeds.

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down