Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VALAVANIS OPEN HOUSE DEMO- VALAVANIS

+16
Budi Sulistyo
AdamG
rolandp
Robert Steven
JJR
Eastern Bonsai
Andrei Darusenkov
SOUMYA MITRA
Russell Coker
Rob Kempinski
Todd Ellis
peter krebs
Pavel Slovák
coh
drgonzo
William N. Valavanis
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

VALAVANIS OPEN HOUSE DEMO- VALAVANIS - Page 2 Empty Re: VALAVANIS OPEN HOUSE DEMO- VALAVANIS

Post  William N. Valavanis Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:20 am

Hi Budi,

Nice to hear from you!

Thanks, glad you liked this transformation. But, the bonsai is not finished yet. I'm trying to find time to thin out the branches, fine wire and transplant it into the most suitable container I have on hand.

Yes, I'm going to ASPAC in Takamatsu, then on to Taikan-ten. Kora Dalager and I have a tour with 12 people we will lead and then we are also making a quick trip up to Tokyo to see Kobayashi, Omiya Bonsai Village, Kimura and finally Hanyu to see Morimae. I look forward to seeing you again my friend.

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

VALAVANIS OPEN HOUSE DEMO- VALAVANIS - Page 2 Empty Re: VALAVANIS OPEN HOUSE DEMO- VALAVANIS

Post  Gary Swiech Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:31 pm

Very nice transformation Bill,

I hope you got my email in regards to the wonderful Hinoki Cypress I bought from you this Spring. It's doing very well.
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:54 pm

It's now been 10 days since I last touched the Dwarf scots pine worked on during my 1 1/2 hour demonstration where the basic shape was created and heavy wiring. It's been difficult for me to find the necessary time to completely wire, refine and finally pot the bonsai since I've been busy with classes, and have just finished the No. 3 issue of the magazine and editing a new large format major bonsai art book to be released in spring.

Over six hours of intense wiring was necessary to finish all the detail adjustments for the bonsai then another hour, (three people working) to pot the bonsai in the new container.

Guess which container I finally used? Nope.

I WAS going to use the "clunky" deep container and that was my first choice, however another tree "found it's way into my garden" a few days ago which really needed that container. So I had to "steal" a container from another Dwarf scots pine for the demonstration tree.

It's finished, for now and additional fine tuning will take place during the next growing season. Hope you like the new bonsai. Now, I need to find a suitable container for the other Dwarf scots pine I took it's home from....

Bill

VALAVANIS OPEN HOUSE DEMO- VALAVANIS - Page 2 After-10
After wiring before potting

VALAVANIS OPEN HOUSE DEMO- VALAVANIS - Page 2 Final-11
After final adjustment and potting

VALAVANIS OPEN HOUSE DEMO- VALAVANIS - Page 2 New-pi11
New Scots pine which "found it's way into my garden"

VALAVANIS OPEN HOUSE DEMO- VALAVANIS - Page 2 Pot-us10
Future container for new Scots pine... when I have time to complete
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:39 pm

The new pot looks good with the tree. Nice job refining it.
Though I am surprised about repotting in Sept.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  LSBonsai Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:10 am

Nice work Bill. Lovely tree.

However, I think the first branch on the right needs to come down a bit more.

LSBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:33 am

Thanks,

Yes, I agree the first branch on the right needs to be lowered. Also, the first branch on the left needs to come down more. We put a guy wire on it and it looked great, wire must have stretched. I'll look at it again.

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Thought I'd run this up the flagpole one more time...

Russell Coker wrote:Btw, you refer to this pine as an "RAF Dwarf Scots pine ". What does "RAF" mean?

Much nicer pot choice - for both trees. I like that pot, very handsome. I have one also, it's by 'Eiraku'. That's going to be a nice looking tree when you finish tweeking it. Since you ended up guying it anyway, I'm surprised you didn't make the initial cut from the bottom of the branch so it would heal shut. To each his own, I guess.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:44 pm

Very interesting post, I'm following it.

I must have missed something. You were going to use the clunky pot, which I thought was an excellent choice. Have you chosen another for the first RAF Scot's pine?
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:44 pm

Gary, as I said in my previous post, another bonsai came into my garden and I need the clunky container for that bonsai.

This bonsai was planted in a different gray container, and I had to steal it from another bonsai.

The one guy wire slipped and the left branch moved, so today I used a heavier size wire and lowered it, again. While I was at it the right branch was also lowered.

Here is the "final, final" photo of the completed bonsai.... for this year.
Bill

VALAVANIS OPEN HOUSE DEMO- VALAVANIS - Page 2 Raf-fi10
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:08 am

Now THAT looks absolutely excellent, that right #2 branch was throwing the weight all off!

drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Agus Pandetria Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:04 am

Hi William,
Very nice bonsai and shows are very educational

Agus Pandetria

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:09 pm

the tree is very pleasing to look at and well balanced in the pot .Well done.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:14 pm

That last photo looks great. As far as a final pot I think a reddish color (like the first pot) would ultimately look best. It seems to bring out the color of the bark.

Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2