Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today

+3
Nik Rozman
Rob Kempinski
Jeremy
7 posters

Go down

Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Empty Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today

Post  Jeremy Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:18 pm

Hi,
My slow, but steady progression with my chuhin yew..
A photographic record. 2001 until 2007.
Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today 110

2009 a Dragon's bonsai societies annual show.
Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Dscf0617

Today with a trim and some refining of the deadwood, hence the yellow lime sulpher.
Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Dscf0822

The life line is not visable with this present front. Next winter I plan to rotate and tilt a little to improve this.

Is this a better planting angle?
Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Dscf0823

Is this a better front?
Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today 535110
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Empty Chuhin Yew

Post  Guest Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:31 pm

I love the shape of your tree, very dynamic. I can visualize this tree at the top of an exposed hill ,on mooreland. Did the live vein at the front die off? If i was to critisise this treeat all it would be the deadwood.Maybe it might look better if it was more delicate and less smoothed over[very small critisism though]. Great tree!

Back to top Go down

Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Empty Re: Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Slow but steady progress. Definitely not a tropical tree.

Is this tree where chuhin tobacco comes from? Twisted Evil
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Empty Re: Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today

Post  Guest Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:44 am

Hi Jerry.... Yews sure take some time to develop but when they DO mature into a bonsai WOW! yours is coming along fine, I recon from 'raw' material to an exhibit of maturity can take at least 10 years (in the UK)

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:51 am

I think the first planting angle is better.

Nice progression though. thumbs up
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  Ka Pabling Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:04 pm

Hi Jerry

I didnt see this yew when I was there, it great!

Alex is here now, he will be going back to UK on friday. We have been going around stone hunting so he could bring something for you but I think the ones we got are too big, anyway he has still a few days who knows we might still be able to find some. He is enjoying working on the bantigues.

your carving of sharis has improved a lot ,not much makita marks.

Cheers
Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:43 pm

Your alternative front (I assume that it is 180 from the first front) has it's charms but I would certainly have to see it in person before I said it was 'better'. I like the extension of the curve of the trunk into the root on the right side, but mostly I like the fact that the shari is less monolithic and overpowering. Less like a dead stump with a tree sticking out it's top. Some of this may be a result of the dead wood on that side being less white overall, and possibly less carved? As I said, just impressions from a single photo. Does the apex lean away from the viewer with the alternate front? Did you virtually remove a branch from this view?

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:21 pm

Hi,
Thank you.
padychitan wrote:Hi Jerry
I didnt see this yew when I was there, it great!
Alex is here now, he will be going back to UK on friday. We have been going around stone hunting so he could bring something for you but I think the ones we got are too big, anyway he has still a few days who knows we might still be able to find some. He is enjoying working on the bantigues.
your carving of sharis has improved a lot ,not much makita marks.
Cheers

Hi Pabling,
So good to hear from you.
Look forwards to getting Alex back at Dragon and hearing his adventures and pictures of working on your fine bantigues.

Velodog2 asked,
but mostly I like the fact that the shari is less monolithic and overpowering. Less like a dead stump with a tree sticking out it's top.
I have tried to reduce the visual bulk, any better?
Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Dscf0911
Does the apex lean away from the viewer with the alternate front?
No, when rotated 10? degrees right to left, the apex is, in my view, O.K..
Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Dscf0912
Did you virtually remove a branch from this view?
No, Zero camera or photoshop tricks. Suspect
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:35 pm

Thats more like it. Fantastic!

Back to top Go down

Post  Velodog2 Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:38 pm

Hey yeah that additional carving helps a lot. I understand now alternate front was only rotated a little bit, not the 180 degrees I first thought (yeah, it made no sense to think that, but I'm doing this at work and don't always have the time to look as carefully as I would like Wink ). Also now I can see the the 'missing branch' is just hidden behind the trunk. Anyway, point is this is a great tree!

Velodog2

Back to top Go down

Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Empty Daylight and Yew

Post  Jeremy Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:22 pm

Hi,
Thank you Will.

Velodog2,
I wish I could create a 3D picture. We'd all benefit. Smile

I had the opportunity at the Wednesday Dragon Workshop to take a few better lit pictures of my yew.
Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Dscf0920

Anyone going to Brighton this w/e?
Chris Thomas and I are showing as Celtic knot at Brighton this w/e.
I will make the Wirral show one of these years. aarrrrrhh. pirat
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Empty Brighton show display

Post  Jeremy Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi,
I displayed my yew at the Brighton show this w/e with Celtic knot bonsai.
Once again, great venue, but it was poorly lit, thus making pctures a little challenging.

My yew display.
Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Dscf1010
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:41 pm

I wish i was a little closer to you lot. Very inspirational and you always seem to be doing stuff around Bonsai, One day soon id like to come and visit?

Back to top Go down

Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Empty Open invite

Post  Jeremy Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:29 pm

I wish i was a little closer to you lot. Very inspirational and you always seem to be doing stuff around Bonsai, One day soon id like to come and visit?
Will,
We hold workshops most Wednesdays 4pm - dark. and
most Sundays, (unless we are at a show.), 10am - 4pm.
Cost: Free + coffee, etc.
Bring something to work on or just watch, what ever works for you. We can even help with a sleep-over if needed.
directions:
http://www.bon-aquatics.co.uk/id28.html
Check out Dragon's event diary.
http://www.dragonbonsai.co.uk/events.htm

Workshops.
We hold workshops every Sunday between 10.00am and 4.00pm and in addition during the Summer months each Wednesday between 4.00pm and 9.00pm at Bonllwyn Aquatic Centre.
Chris Thomas the Owner is a Bonsai enthusiast of over 20years. ( well, enthusiast is definitely an understatement but if I let him write a description you would be here all day reading it ). The workshops are held in a very large dedicated polytunnel that Chris generously allows us to use unreservedly and has done so for many years, so no worries when it rains or there is a gale blowing.
The day usually runs with members bringing in various pieces of material in all different stages of development or refinement, so you can usually see someone performing a technique that you can study or practice for yourself. The sort of thing you can expect to see or participate in are discussions about styling a tree, wiring techniques, pruning, feeding, general horticulture, repotting, display techniques or the general sharing of knowledge and experiences. There is always a fair amount of fun filled banter so it's not always serious and feels nothing like being in a classroom if that is what you may be thinking. You can come and go as you please. There is no obligation to be there all day and no obligation to be there every week. You use the workshops to suit YOU.
There is always plenty of tea and coffee available and Chris's wife Julie treats us every single week to a huge plate of freshly cut sandwiches and it's not uncommon nowdays for a member to bring in some delicious home made cakes or other treats, so if you are looking after your weight watch out !

We have a late summer show and bonsai boot sale in September!
Late Summer show and Bonsai Car boot sale
Sunday 6th of September 2009

Dragon Bonsai Society will hold a late summer show at there home base, Bonllwyn Garden Centre. Near Swansea.

Combined with the show will be a Bonsai boot sale.
Any one interested can bring along there unwanted pots books trees etc, there will be a charge per car proceeds to Dragon Bonsai.
Contact
Chris Thomas
Tel: 01269 596953 or evenings 01269 596399

This is going to be a great day I will post more updates as we finalise more details .Put this date in your diary and dont miss a great day .
Hope to see you soon.
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:07 pm

will baddeley wrote:I wish i was a little closer to you lot... One day soon id like to come and visit?
Hey Will, it was about 400 miles from my door but was still well worth the trip. I'll be going back.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Empty Thank you

Post  Jeremy Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:14 pm

Thank you Fiona.
Dragon luv's u 2. thumbs up
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Chuhin yew. slow progress 2001 til today Empty Chuhin Yew. Open invite

Post  Guest Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:32 am

Thanks Jerry, thats a very kind offer. Ill try to get to the show. Its not the distance, its making time. Amongst other things i supervise community service work groups on Sundays, but im due some holiday
Hi Fionnghal, i think we met briefly at B S A Willowbog 2 years ago. You might remember as i do actually look like my avatar! Quite enjoy traveling long distance by car and although i love Suffolk, the change in scenery as you move in any direction from here is stunning [ particularly north and west] Went collecting with Kevin Willson a few years back near Inverness. Drove a hired van with a few choice Scots Pines from Inverness to Essex in 9 hours. Only time i stopped was for diesel, Ginsters and a good long stop at the Cairngorms. Absolutely breathtaking. You lucky people

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:18 am

Absolutely, Will. It's the old story about not recognising what is on your very doorstep isn't it, and it's one reason why, like yourself, I am on somewhat of a quest in the UK to use native species. We've probably all done the aren't those Japanese trees so much better thing, but now I'm seeing the wonderful potential in things native. God/Mother Nature/Gaia/Big Hairy Green Things from a Faraway Galaxy (delete or insert as per own philosophies) must've put certain species here for a reason. As far as I'm concerned it's because they are stunning in their own right. Away to see how my new Yew and Blackthorn are doing Very Happy
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:07 am

Jerry

Your Yew is looking good my friend Very Happy and John's pot is made for the tree, I think it's Johns pot Question

Will see you at Burrs if your going bounce

All the best

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:22 am

Stone Monkey wrote:Jerry

Your Yew is looking good my friend Very Happy and John's pot is made for the tree, I think it's Johns pot Question

Will see you at Burrs if your going bounce

All the best

Andy

Hi Andy,
Thank you. it's been a little slow progress, but the little yew is finally getting there. Yes it's a JP pot.
Yep Chris, Bob and I will be there, hot to trot. Twisted Evil
There are many fine bonsai workshops and then there's Burrs. Burrs wins by a country mile. thumbs up
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down