Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement

+13
my nellie
jrodriguez
Russell Coker
Justin Hervey
Rob Kempinski
Tom Simonyi
Sam Ogranaja
-Brent-
carlos
Billy M. Rhodes
fiona
Ryan
reg-i
17 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Empty Re: Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement

Post  Sam Ogranaja Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:33 pm

Carlos,

I'm afraid we're both right. I was speaking of my own, personal experience with him, not on a larger business scale. Erik would a complete fool not to promote his business because it's his livelyhood. Are you saying "artists" shouldn't promote themselves or make money selling their products? This couldn't be the message you were going for, but to me this is how your message came across.

Your comments aren't constructive. I wanted to find out more about this style and how to advance it but it feels like you're on the attack, even though I indicated my questions were not aggressive.

Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Empty Re: Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement

Post  carlos Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:51 pm

Sam Ogranaja wrote:Carlos,

I'm afraid we're both right. I was speaking of my own, personal experience with him, not on a larger business scale. Erik would a complete fool not to promote his business because it's his livelyhood. Are you saying "artists" shouldn't promote themselves or make money selling their products? This couldn't be the message you were going for, but to me this is how your message came across.

Your comments aren't constructive. I wanted to find out more about this style and how to advance it but it feels like you're on the attack, even though I indicated my questions were not aggressive.

Sam

Are you saying "artists" shouldn't promote themselves or make money selling their products? This couldn't be the message you were going for, but to me this is how your message came across.

Well, when money is involved, art suffers. I am not saying that they can't live in harmony, but, generally speaking one or the other suffers.

As far as constructing a tree like this, it is not that complicated. Let's take your tree as an example. The current pot it is in will not spped the process for you. I recommend the following:

1) place it in a more than large pot

2) While you are at it, work the root structure as to have a proper nebari. Rain trees tend to have rootage similar to crabs claws, which are quite unsightly.

3) you tree has a basic shape, but if you want it to be of higher quality, growing it out will not be a bad idea

4) While the tree is in a big pot, most of the branches will grow erratically. This is not a bad thing with those branches that have to thicken. You can later remove the unwanted growth.

5) Mr.Nel's tree displays branching that was grown periodically. Using the main stem as reference, the main branches were allowed to grow in proportion with the trunk. Once the reached the desired girht, they were cut and the leads were replaced with young growth, wired into place and let grow freely. After this, the process of building the canopy consists of repeating this process.

6) What are the results of this? 1) Perfectly tapered and shaped branches. 2) Minimum to no wire scars.

7) On note: the fact that you have let the tree grow freely will create a strong root system. Remember, no good roots means no quality branching.

I hope this helps. I was not attacking you. There is not reason to.

carlos

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:37 pm

I think we have agreed to disagree here on the point of what is a style and what is not. I also think that Carlos's last post did what both Sam and the original poster wanted which was advice and encouragement on how to progress their own trees to a good level.

I'd suggest that we now restrict responses - if we need any further - to the growing and styling issues as they relate to reg-i and Sam's trees. More general discussions on styles can always be the subject of a separate thread should anyone care to start one.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:05 pm

Thanks Carlos. Your advice truly helps give me a vision for the future.

Totally right Fiona.

Justin, those are very inspiring. It'd be awesome to see those tree in person. I'll have to use those for reference in the future.

By the way Reg-i, post some other pictures of your tree. I'm curious what the rest of it looks like.

Have a great weekend everyone!!!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:13 am

Here's some other angles and another one im working on
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree043
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree056
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree060
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree067
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Photo-1
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:13 pm

That tree in the last picture is really pretty. Do these airlayer well? The top of this one looks like it could be a nice shohin sized tree, and the bottom has great potential too.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:18 pm

Russell Coker wrote:That tree in the last picture is really pretty. Do these airlayer well? The top of this one looks like it could be a nice shohin sized tree, and the bottom has great potential too.

R

Russell,

Yes, these trees air layer well. In my climate, I might be able to root the whole top as a cutting, fairly quickly too.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:27 pm

Here's some pics of my other tree since I repotted it i'm not going to do any work to it till it settles in I had some drainage issue with it and I didn't notice til it was to late its fine now but I want it healthier cause it hasn't put any new growth out in awhile also I would like to share some seedling photos they grow so dam fast the 2 photos in the same spot are only a month apart. Is there anyone on here with a large seeding tree handy that I might be able to purchase some. I know some of you guys in Brazil probably throw them away
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree040
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree074
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Brts007

ONE MONTH LATER ...........
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree028
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:15 pm

They do air layer very well here is a 1.5 month old one
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree002
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:09 am

You're totally right they do grow like weeds. Those are some big trees. I wish I had trees that big. Thanks for posting the additional pictures.

Please keep us in the loop of your development.
Have a great week!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Empty updated photos

Post  reg-i Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:53 pm

Its really coming along
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree92011137remake
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree92011059
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree92011065
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree92011062
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:29 pm

Wow it is coming along. It's crazy how fast these grow. You'll be there in no time.

In your last picture of Erik's tree, in the background, there is an umbrella top Raintree. It used to be part of his big Raintree forest he had, but had to dismantle it because some of the trees (this one in particular) got too big for the composition. It has a really straight trunk like yours but Erik has leaned his a bit. Have you thought about doing that? The only reason I ask is because the trunk appears so straight. It's so tough to photograph raintrees though because of their fluting.

Keep it up and keep posting pictures.
Have a great week!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:31 pm

The photograph with all those small pots is showing airlayers, hardwood cuttings or seedlings?
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:12 am

those are all seedlings I started 7 or 8 months ago
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:29 am

Sam Ogranaja wrote:Wow it is coming along. It's crazy how fast these grow. You'll be there in no time.

In your last picture of Erik's tree, in the background, there is an umbrella top Raintree. It used to be part of his big Raintree forest he had, but had to dismantle it because some of the trees (this one in particular) got too big for the composition. It has a really straight trunk like yours but Erik has leaned his a bit. Have you thought about doing that? The only reason I ask is because the trunk appears so straight. It's so tough to photograph raintrees though because of their fluting.

Have a great week!!!
Sam
I have pics of the forest and the tree your talking about the lean on that tree looks really natural with the way the curves go, was it also leaning in the forest?
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Bonsaiwigerts039
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Bonsaiwigerts074-1
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Bonsaiwigerts075-1
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  manosvince Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:39 am

reg-i wrote:Here's some pics of my other tree since I repotted it i'm not going to do any work to it till it settles in I had some drainage issue with it and I didn't notice til it was to late its fine now but I want it healthier cause it hasn't put any new growth out in awhile also I would like to share some seedling photos they grow so dam fast the 2 photos in the same spot are only a month apart. Is there anyone on here with a large seeding tree handy that I might be able to purchase some. I know some of you guys in Brazil probably throw them away
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree040
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree074
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Brts007

ONE MONTH LATER ...........
Pierneef (flat top) rain tree discouragement  - Page 2 Raintree028

Hello. How many seeds did you put on each pot? And what type of substrate did you use? Inorganic?
Thanks, Manos.
manosvince
manosvince

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:52 pm

reg-i wrote:those are all seedlings I started 7 or 8 months ago
Thank you for your answer!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:33 pm

reg-i wrote:
Sam Ogranaja wrote:Wow it is coming along. It's crazy how fast these grow. You'll be there in no time.

Have a great week!!!
Sam
I have pics of the forest and the tree your talking about the lean on that tree looks really natural with the way the curves go, was it also leaning in the forest?

Wow for some reason I remembered that tree to have a bolt straight trunk, but you're right, the lean looks very natural, to me anyway. I think it was leaned in the forest as well. I don't remember the trunk having that much character, but I haven't seen that tree in at least a year.

The more I see these pictures, the more I wish their canopies were higher to show off some of the branching. What do you think?

Have a great week!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:59 am

theres only one per pot and there in a turface,pine bark mix soil and perlite, they where started in smaller pots
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:58 pm

Hey Regi,

Do you have any current development pictures worthy of being shown? Just curious.

Have a great weekend!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:38 am

sorry I didn't see this till now but I will take some pics tomorrow there has been alot of development thanks for the interest
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:29 pm

reg-i wrote:sorry I didn't see this till now but I will take some pics tomorrow there has been alot of development thanks for the interest

Definitely. I have a couple of raintrees myself. I'd love to get a female to be able to have some flowers. I only have 2 thorny males. I'm looking forward to the pics, especially after seeing your 10 month old seedlings. It is ridiculous how fast these things grow.
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:55 pm

I thought that Raintrees had complete flowers (I think that is the term) that there is no need for two trees.

I think your lack of seed may be related to growing season and climate.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  reg-i Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:57 pm

your right they both seed you dont need one or the other well I dont know about the thornless one I havn't personally seen it seed i've noticed that when I take airlayers off my bigger ones the layers flower and seed even if the mother plant is not

Last edited by reg-i on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
reg-i
reg-i

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next