Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden

+6
DJSEND
Russell Coker
AdamG
Jerry Meislik
chappy56
NeilDellinger
10 posters

Go down

34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden Empty 34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden

Post  NeilDellinger Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:46 am

As Mr. Bill Valavanis mentioned in his post regarding his Shishigashira Maple, Ryan Neil was attending as the guest master, judge and demonstrator at this years show at the Chicago Botanical Garden.

Hope you all enjoy these photos. It was a great weekend event for American Bonsai.

I'd like to share a few trees and other items with the forum. As you know Mr. Bill Valavanis received first prize in the professional division. A link to his thread is here:https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t7377-new-container-selection-help-needed

My good friend and bonsai teacher Matt Ouwinga recieved 2nd place in the professional division with the below trident maple.
34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden DSC01531

Jim Doyle receeved 3rd in the professional division with his large Acer Palmatum:
34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden DSC01536

I entered the open division with my bougainvillea glabra and received best in show. The stand was built by Jay Kolaya. "Best in Show" is somewhat of a misnomer, in that the open division does not compete with trees within the professional ranks. The professional 1st prize is the pinnacle. Be that as it may, this was my first exhibition ever and I am thrilled Mr. Neil saw my tree as fit for this award. As such, it has received an invitation from Mr. Valavanis to attend the 3rd National convention.
34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden DSC01553

Below are trees which were also exhibited by Matt Ouwinga, and a few close ups of stands built by our good friend Jay Kolaya. The slabs included with the below trees are made of Tasmanian Jarrah and were cut and finished by Jay.

The root over rock in the first photo also received an invite to the 3rd National exhibition.

34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden DSC01535

Trident Maple Matt Ouwinga. Stand Jay Kolaya.
34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden DSC01524

34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden DSC01517

34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden DSC01521

Trident maple: Neil Dellinger Stand" Jay Kolaya
34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden DSC01412

The rest are stands by Jay Kolaya:

34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden DSC01547
34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden DSC01545
34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden DSC01543
34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden DSC01542

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden Empty Re: 34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden

Post  chappy56 Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:05 am

Great stuff. And congratulations Neil.
The Bougie looked great.
chappy56
chappy56

Back to top Go down

34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden Empty Re: 34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden

Post  Jerry Meislik Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:28 am

Congrats Neil. Great work. Love your tree.
Jerry
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  AdamG Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:53 am

Love those maples.
AdamG
AdamG

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:54 am

Neil, nice tridents, but they don't hold a candle to your bougainvillea. That Japanese maple is fine too. Jay's stands are beautiful, he should be very proud.

Imo, your bougainvillea looks really cramped in that small alcove. It needs a more spacious display, reminds me of sitting in a confessional.

Well deserved congratulations.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:08 am

Thanks all. Jay's stands are tremendous as are Matt's trident maples. The alcove was the center tokonoma space provided to showcase the winning trees. The main display areas are much more spacious. There were +/- 150 trees, most of them had enough space.

I was able to get some very good advice from Ryan Neil on the next steps for the bougainvillea (deadwood, branch ramification & pot choice). Overall Ryan provided some great advice and insights regarding individual trees and the show overall. Very polite and professional, but direct in his critique.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  DJSEND Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:31 am

Hey Neil,

Long time huh? Hopefully your trip went well tonight! First off I would like to say congratulations again on your finish this weekend, you've poured your heart and sole into your trees and the "Best in Show" award is quite fitting! I do think it would be great if you would post the picture you have of you and Logan the day you collected it to give everyone an idea of the amount of work it took to get that tree to the point it is at now. I would also like to say a very sincere thank you to both you and Matt for giving me the opportunity to build stands for you both. It's truely humbling to be trusted enough to create something to accompany such wonderful trees! Russell, thank you as well for your kind words!

Cheers,

~Jay

DJSEND

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Neil,
Congratulations on a well deserved Best of Show Award.

Here is a good photo of the bonsai alone. As the Best of Show Award winner, your bonsai has been automatically accepted for display in the 3rd US National Bonsai Exhibition next June 9-10, 2012.

Entries are now coming in and being accepted. NOW is the time to take a photo of any bonsai anyone who would like to submit photos. Simply send me a good photo of your bonsai to:

wnv@internationalbonsai.com

Bill

34th Midwest Bonsai Exhibition-Chicago Botanical Garden Bougai10
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Good job Neil, That's some bougie and imagine if it had colored bracts on it!!!

The stands made by Jay are outstanding. Really show off the trees.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  kaedebonsai Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:05 pm

Neil,

I am very proud of you! Your tree and display are excellent examples of the high quality bonsai being grown in Chicago-land. A different color stand (darker) and higher quality pot will bring this tree to a new level. I look forward to seeing it at the 3rd national show. Ryan's suggestions with the deadwood is excellent as well.

Jay,

Your stands are excellent and I'm always honored to have my trees sit on them, as is Neil. Keep making stands and innovating new techniques and ideas.

Very proud of you both and look forward to continued work and success in our bonsai endeavours.

Sincerely,

Matthew Ouwinga
www.kaedebonsai.com

kaedebonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:08 am

I've watched the videos of the critique. Very informative. Thanks for posting Paul. I'll have to check out the demo videos.

Great bits of useful information in there!

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down