Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

for a lighter topic- lets define bonsai lovers

+20
Gentleman G.
Ian Young
Damienindesert
Todd Ellis
momcat66
LSBonsai
David D
john5555leonard
ponsmaldo
PaulH
Harleyrider
will baddeley
Mitch Thomas
Cullen Wegman
tim stubbs
jackal
jonkatzmail
Jim Doiron
drgonzo
Jarrod
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

for a lighter topic- lets define bonsai lovers - Page 2 Empty Re: for a lighter topic- lets define bonsai lovers

Post  Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:57 am

[quote="a2khalid"]
Harleyrider wrote:
That's relevant for me right now. We're thinking of selling the bike next year and getting a car instead. Her indoors says we only need a small one, so if anyone can suggest a small car with good tree-carrying potential......

Honda Jazz (I have one, its called a Fit in North America).

Incredible tree carrying potential for a hatchback. Unlike other hatchbacks in the market (north america at least), the seats fold flush into the floor due to a clever redesign in the gas tank positioning. It therefore has an overhead clearance comparable to a minivan. I call it the yuppie pickup truck Smile Not to mention typical good fuel efficiency for a honda 4 cylinder, and reasonably fun to drive in a manual transmission.

Here she is after digging up an elm hedge (there are 5 large trees in there, two lying down).

for a lighter topic- lets define bonsai lovers - Page 2 KKc1C

I have had it even more packed... 13 trees (many quite large) after a collecting trip plus all my gear.

.....I think you forgot something. A little space for the person known as the driver. Razz Laughing

Back to top Go down

for a lighter topic- lets define bonsai lovers - Page 2 Empty Re: for a lighter topic- lets define bonsai lovers

Post  momcat66 Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:40 am

Jarrod wrote:You are a bonsai lover, if you crash your car while checking out a trunk while driving.

I am new to bonsai, but am completely enamored. I haven't done this, but have come close!

momcat66
momcat66

Back to top Go down

Post  momcat66 Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:43 am

You are a bonsai lover when you get your first purchased "bonsai" home, start learning more about the art, and then realize everything that's wrong with your tree and how you can correct it!
momcat66
momcat66

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:17 am

You know you're a bonsai lover when the stones in your suiseki collection end up being planted with your bonsai instead.

You know you're a bonsai lover when you have shelves full of bonsai pots and you tell your wife that you need another pot....she looks at you like you're obsessed .... which I am ....

Will, I didn't get the "formal upright" either until you commented on it. That was very clever What a Face

Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:43 am

a2khalid wrote:
drgonzo wrote:
You are a Bonsai lover if you go to garage sales in the spring in order to make offers on the homeowners landscape plants.

whoa this is a really good idea!!!

bring a shovel and a bag of mulch to fill in the hole, people are in a selling mood at yard sales anyway and 50 bucks for a chunky old Azalea can sound pretty good when all the stuff on the tables is a buck, maybe two bucks!..My wife refuses to go with me when I do this No
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Damienindesert Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:27 am

Really enjoying this thread.

Does anyone else go to nurseries and ask where they toss the shrubs that have accidentally been driven over by a tractor, burned, or grew funny?

....or spend a pleasant hour at the hardware store musing over Dremel bits and miniature chainsaws?

Damienindesert
Damienindesert

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:25 am

... when you keep a spade in the car year round.

.... you keep a bonsai book in the glove box in case you see a nice tree in a garden and knock the door and say, 'Hi I do do this, (point at book), can I have that tree please? I'll replace it with a nice new plant' :-)

.... when you are jealous of your mates who are landscape gardeners who work crap hours in all weather!

... when out driving and a nice tree is spotted on the horizon, your wife says,' Don't even think of stopping to take a photograph!!'

and lastly..

....when you post on your blog more than once a day Dance
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:24 am

Damienindesert wrote:Really enjoying this thread.

Does anyone else go to nurseries and ask where they toss the shrubs that have accidentally been driven over by a tractor, burned, or grew funny?

....or spend a pleasant hour at the hardware store musing over Dremel bits and miniature chainsaws?

Oh Dear... this is me too! on both counts Crying or Very sad

Tony

Back to top Go down

Post  momcat66 Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:56 pm

I have been stalking the clearance tables at local nurseries. I am hoping to post pics one day of my $1 bonsai Smile
momcat66
momcat66

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:35 pm

tony wrote:
Damienindesert wrote:Really enjoying this thread.

Oh Dear... this is me too! on both counts Crying or Very sad

Tony

It's me too. Razz But since I am into construction, I got an excuse to spend extra hours in a hardware store looking for gadgets and tools for bonsai. And when I go to garden nurseries, I always make it to a point that I reached the most neglected part of the nursery...that's where most of the bigger (ugly for garden use) trunk trees can be found.

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Damienindesert Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:14 pm

jun wrote:Oh Dear... this is me too! on both counts Crying or Very sad

Tony

It's me too. Razz But since I am into construction, I got an excuse to spend extra hours in a hardware store looking for gadgets and tools for bonsai. And when I go to garden nurseries, I always make it to a point that I reached the most neglected part of the nursery...that's where most of the bigger (ugly for garden use) trunk trees can be found.

Smile [/quote]

Yeah. the older nurseries that are not that well managed always yield better bonsai results. This new wave of flashy nurseries with fresh imports from the Netherlands is great for the garden, but lacks soul I'm afraid. silent
Damienindesert
Damienindesert

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:25 pm

At my large local nursery there is a spot. Out back near the bulk mulch and loam piles, where they keep the bucket loader parked. There. Under the shade canopy. Are all the twisted, awful, unwanted shrubs and bushes. I call It. Candyland.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:35 am

..If when you are peeing and suddenly there is a "lightbulb moment" Thinking of a new fertilizer (see separate thread)- While still in eh... full stream - you shouted... Eureka!! this is good for my trees. Very Happy drunken

Back to top Go down

Post  Gentleman G. Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:28 am

You are a Bonsai lover when you spend hours a day reading articles on the IBC forum about trees you can never grow where you live anyways Very Happy

Gentleman G.
Gentleman G.

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:14 am

Gentleman G. wrote:You are a Bonsai lover when you spend hours a day reading articles on the IBC forum about trees you can never grow where you live anyways Very Happy

yup!
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:47 am

Gentleman G. wrote:You are a Bonsai lover when you spend hours a day reading articles on the IBC forum about trees you can never grow where you live anyways Very Happy
... and when you consequently stick another line on your Lottery ticket in the vain hope that you might win enough to move to one of those places.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:53 pm

if.................you take time out of every day to stop, relax, and look at your own trees.

if..............you can look at anothers trees and get equal enjoyment

if..............you tell the odd white lie about the price !!!!!!!

good topic
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Vleugels Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:17 am

You are a bonsai lover when you look like this under a scanner:

for a lighter topic- lets define bonsai lovers - Page 2 Think_10

lol!
Hans Vleugels
Hans Vleugels

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:19 am

Hans Vleugels wrote:You are a bonsai lover when you look like this under a scanner:

for a lighter topic- lets define bonsai lovers - Page 2 Think_10

lol!

Same result with my last X-ray!!!
Though the face profile is quite different. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Vleugels Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:19 pm

How about these two Hungarian guys going for a yamadori on a bike??? I bet they are bonsai lovers!!!!

Hans Vleugels
Hans Vleugels

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:26 pm

omg i nearly p*s*ed myself - how did you stumble on that on utube?????? bet they'll enter it in ginko soon -

mad bit is why did they want it...............and why was a bloke filming it !!!!
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans Vleugels Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:30 pm

marcus watts wrote:omg i nearly p*s*ed myself - how did you stumble on that on utube?????? bet they'll enter it in ginko soon -

mad bit is why did they want it...............and why was a bloke filming it !!!!

I bet Pálinka has something to do with it... drunken
Hans Vleugels
Hans Vleugels

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:41 pm

Hans Vleugels wrote:
marcus watts wrote:omg i nearly p*s*ed myself - how did you stumble on that on utube?????? bet they'll enter it in ginko soon -

I bet Pálinka has something to do with it... drunken

haha - i bet it did - you truely are a internet surfer Very Happy
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:11 am

Hans,

Those guys looks familiar...maybe IBC members?
From time to time I get drunk and do bonsai while I'm drunk (and regret it the next day)...but those guys are extreme!!!

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

for a lighter topic- lets define bonsai lovers - Page 2 Empty for a lighter topic- lets define bonsai lovers

Post  The Lad Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:44 pm

incredible who says bonsai lovers are boring Idea guess I better start drinking again lol!

thanks for showing

Jim thelad
The Lad
The Lad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2