Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

work in progress - jaboticaba from morris

4 posters

Go down

work in progress - jaboticaba from morris Empty work in progress - jaboticaba from morris

Post  kauaibonsai Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:32 am

my friend morris nakaishi gave me this jaboticaba more than 10 years ago. in its original form the tree was 3 feet high. over time, the height was reduced to its current 21 inches. work on this interesting piece of collected material has been sporadic. the tree deserves better. today was the start of its journey towards a better future. the branches are in good locations but are very thin and weak from neglect. the tree has never been repotted, so tomorrow the tree comes out of its current pot, the roots get washed clean and the the tree gets repotted in a larger container with fresh soil.

best wishes, sam

work in progress - jaboticaba from morris Dsc01027work in progress - jaboticaba from morris Dsc01028[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/15061647/1299]work in progress - jaboticaba from morris Dsc01029[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/15061647/1300]work in progress - jaboticaba from morris Dsc01030work in progress - jaboticaba from morris Dsc01113[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/15061647/1302]work in progress - jaboticaba from morris Dsc01114work in progress - jaboticaba from morris Dsc01115

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

work in progress - jaboticaba from morris Empty Re: work in progress - jaboticaba from morris

Post  jrodriguez Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Sam,

This tree has a good trunk. On another note, Jaboticaba pruning, during the hot summer months, has to be performed with outmost care. Thin branches, when exposed to the sun, tend to die back as the bark/skin on them is not yet mature. Young bark has a cream/greenish color and is EXTREMELY heat sensitive. I suggest you place the tree in a shaded locale throughout initial budding. This should happen in 7-10 days.

As far as the hollow on your tree, once it starts growing like you want it, the scar will heal rather quickly.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

work in progress - jaboticaba from morris Empty Re: work in progress - jaboticaba from morris

Post  coh Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:26 pm

Looks like a nice piece of material - certainly puts my 3/4" trunk jaboticaba to shame! I do enjoy working with the species and haven't noticed any of the problems mentioned by Jose - probably the difference between living in New York and Puerto Rico. I have found that wire must be watched closely because the branches can thicken quite rapidly during active growth.

Has this tree bloomed/borne fruit? I'd think so given the size and growing location.

I'd like to see a picture with a plain background, which would allow better appreciation of the trunk details.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:50 pm

thanks jose and coh.

this is my first jaboticaba , so I appreciate the guidance. I keep the tree out of the direct sun but still the leaf edges burn, guess I need to find a shadier location. after I repot, coh, I will take a better picture. sorry.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:14 pm

Sam,

Make sure you use a potting medium that retains moisture but that drains extremely well. a shady location is not a bad idea. Also, your proximity to sea water might be the cause for leaf burn.

I had a friend that had a few of these in the southern coast of Puerto Rico, where the climate is as close to hell as you can get; scorching heat and salt spray. His trees never grew well and he gave them to me. Soon after and after placing them in the right mix and under shade cloth, they began to bud out.

Once you figure them out, you will want to have a few more. they are very rewarding.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:02 am

thanks, jose:

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  steveO Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:57 pm

The tree looks great.  Thanks for sharing.  The leaf burn on the edges may be from lack of nutrients.  Here's some good info.  Good luck.

https://www.bonsaimary.com/Jaboticaba-Bonsai-Trees.html

steveO

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down