Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Small Juniper

2 posters

Go down

Small Juniper Empty Small Juniper

Post  Storm Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:55 pm

Hey, I restyled one of my junipers today. As far as Ive understood, its not a bad time to do this..?
What im unsure about is how much I can remove at one go. So I took a chance, on this one. Please tell me honestly what you think about it.
Im having problems taking decent shots with my camera, so bear with me.
I dont have a good "before" picture, so I just throw out one of the foliage mass.
Small Juniper Dsc_0414

After
Small Juniper Dsc_0415

Small Juniper Dsc_0416

Sincerely
Storm
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Small Juniper Empty Re: Small Juniper

Post  Storm Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:57 pm

Just saw how miserable the photos are. Ill see if I can take some better tomorrow.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:41 am

New photos:
Small Juniper Dsc_0417

Small Juniper Dsc_0418

Thank you
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:02 am

It helps some of us make suggestions if we see at least four photos, with one being designated by you as the front.
As far north as you are I am sure that you can work on Junipers in August, we can't in Florida, much too hot, 94+ Fahrenheit in my backyard on 7/29/11.
One comment, usually the only time a tree is place in the middle of a pot is when the pot is round or square. With oval or rectangular pots the rule of third applies, that is the bonsai is planted off center by so that 2/3 of the pot is to one side and 1/3 to the other.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:18 am

Hi Billy.
I havent really made a decision on what the front should be. It is the last photo that is nearest, just turned slightly more to the left that would be my first thought.
It ahs been in the same pot since I bought it, and it has just been in there for growing purposes. Im going to buy pots for several trees soon, and I havent found exactly what Im looking for. I had planned to have a round pot for this one. Little pattern on the pot, and maybe a "lip" rounding inwards, for a quite feminine look.
Its about 78F the last days outside, but its not that hot most of the summer. We have had alot of rain and clouds.
http://www.kaizenbonsai.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=42_64&products_id=1017 Thats the closest im coming atm. Maybe an even thinner edge on the pot.
Im still a beginner in this whole thing, and not used to giving trees a complete makeover like this. So just wanted to hear if you think Im doing something very wrong. Wink
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:31 am

310 x 90 converts (I think) to 12 inches across by 3.5 inches deep.
A general rule, not always followed, especially with trees in development, is that the pot depth should equal the trunk diameter and that the pot width at its widest point should be about 1/3 greater that the widest point on the tree.
That means the pot you selected would fit a tree with a trunk base of 3.5 inches and a branch spread at its widest of 9 inches.
Just looking at your tree without a scale I think the pot selected is too deep and not wide enough.
Round pots are usually limited to formal upright (sometimes informal upright, which yours is) or Bunjin style trees.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:38 am

I just found a picture of the one that looked the most alike to what I was thinking. Im not experienced with picking pots either, thats why I keep bothering you people with my questions. Wink
The trunk is actually not thicker than 1.5-2cm wide. So I have to get a much shallower pot. Might try to get someone to make one for me. Instead of looking for ages in online stores.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Storm wrote:I just found a picture of the one that looked the most alike to what I was thinking. Im not experienced with picking pots either, thats why I keep bothering you people with my questions. Wink
The trunk is actually not thicker than 1.5-2cm wide. So I have to get a much shallower pot. Might try to get someone to make one for me. Instead of looking for ages in online stores.

Hi Storm.

Don't bother with the pot design yet or which front should be made. at 1.5cm trunk, it is a very young tree, you could let it grow further in a bigger growing pot. Just take care of the branches you want to keep and let the sacrificial branches grow wild and long. Don't rush it man.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback Jun. Wink
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content