Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bosai collection times approaching

3 posters

Go down

Bosai collection times approaching Empty Bosai collection times approaching

Post  Jay Gaydosh Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:12 pm

For those who, like me, don't head for the mountains looking for the perfect yamadori, the time is rapidly approaching for the retail sales of potential "yamastori" (meaning "from the lawn & garden supply store")

As the planting season heads into summer the prospects for selling start to dwindle and the stores begin thinking of where they are going to put there next seasons Christmas display. This brings into play the bargain basement sales of nursery stock.

And don't for get to check out the dead and dying section at the back of the nursery lots!

Happy Hunting!

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Bosai collection times approaching Empty Re: Bosai collection times approaching

Post  coh Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:13 pm

I always check the "sales" areas when I stop at nurseries, and definitely do make the rounds in the late summer/fall. Have picked up a couple of trees with potential, but it's usually slim pickings...

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Several of my favorite specimens came from the "really cheap 'cause they're dying" section. You can nurse back to health what will grow and do some creative pruning with the rest.

Jay
Jay Gaydosh
Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:40 pm

Some of our monitoring stations are showing 200% increases in snow load. normally july was a time in previous
seasons to dig here in the NW of USA but there is still 2 feet of snow up there in the mountains at the end of july.
That means in mid september when normal snow fall begins, those poor trees have about a month and a half growing season! makes the scratch and dent sales at the back of the nurseries abit more reliable.

here in the states cedars are either red in west or white in the east. I just came back from the west coast of canada where i found a yamadori yellow (also in alaska) Am excited to style it when it stabilizes from the wild to the nursery pot it's rehomed in. the last coupla acquistions have been stuff you don't see too often at shows.
My alpine willow is having a few issues so am hopeful can get rectified before fall. this summer i made a poly tunnel (hoop house) so that I have more control of our weird weather.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down