Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yew - first styling

4 posters

Go down

Yew - first styling  Empty Yew - first styling

Post  marcus watts Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi,
i started to wire this raw piece of material at the weekend show and have just finished the initial first styling.

It is a nice yamadori Yew (Taxus baccata) that was picked to create a cascade - mainly because i havent got a yew bonsai, and i havent got a cascade either !

This is just the first basic styling and as the foliage develops some more small shoots i'll break the larger mass into 3 or 4 smaller pads. The lowest pad is obviosly the weakest atm but energy will be directed to it and a sacrifice shoot will be left to grow on it too, so that it bulks up.

Originally i was planning for one single foliage mass in layered clouds, under the trunk line, but when we shielded the other foliage with a towel it gave a very flat 2 dimensional look to the tree and no feeling of depth, so the back pad, lower pad and small crown were formed - i may in time remove the top one but at the moment I like the contrast with the deep glossy green and the dead wood so it can stay.

Before:
Yew - first styling  Yew1a

After:
Yew - first styling  Yew1d1

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Yew - first styling  Empty Re: Yew - first styling

Post  fiona Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:24 pm

Extremely promising, Marcus. Looking forward to seeing its development.

Can you give us an indication of size please?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Yew - first styling  Empty Yew - first styling

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:04 pm

Looking good Marcus. Looks like you've changed the angle of the tree within the pot as the deadwood on top is now further over. Is it a pot within a pot? Not quite sure about the lowest pad moving back under the cascade.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:14 pm

Guest wrote:Looking good Marcus. Looks like you've changed the angle of the tree within the pot as the deadwood on top is now further over. Is it a pot within a pot? Not quite sure about the lowest pad moving back under the cascade.

Who's the guest? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:19 pm

hi,
originally the trunk was level so rather than work with the pot tilted I took the tree and roots out of the pot without disturbing, then added 6" more soil mix (akadama & kiryu) to the bottom of the pot and put the tree back in so the trunk cleared the rim of the pot. This let the trunk lean down a lot more in a natural cascade as it dropped lower under its own weight. (The main root that is now visible was originally inside the pot but not covered in soil - no soil was removed from the top, just more added to the bottom)

Size - this is a little small tree - pot is 14" high, verticle from low pad to tip of deadwood is also 14", diagonally from tip to roots 18"

Bottom pad - haha - this was originally (1) part of the back pad, then (2) i tried using it to just extend the cascade further with a lower pad - but this made it look like every other cascade tree that gets styled - (like a flight of stairs), so (3) was to work it back out of the wind & towards the mountain. The 2D photo doesnt show it is actually coming forward to the viewer and not back under the cascade, but i think it will be blended to the back pad a little more so it looks like a seperate layer of that foliage mass - as the scale of the picture goes 1cm up 3cm to the left.

who is guest haha Question

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:20 am

Guest wrote:Looking good Marcus. Looks like you've changed the angle of the tree within the pot as the deadwood on top is now further over. Is it a pot within a pot? Not quite sure about the lowest pad moving back under the cascade.

Hey guest!! What happened man?
You are the best teacher around here, Just let the P_ _cks do their stuffs and continue what you do best...sharing your knowledge and showing trees coming from a real artistic ability of a person and not from a popularity show.

They are not worth it man.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:42 pm

Marcus, I do apologize for the invasion, but.... put the blame on Jun

Dear Guest, may I remind that you also have a pending thread on carving? Very Happy

my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  carlos Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Would you consider removing the apical foliage mass, the one located at the left side of the upper jin? I think that by removing it the tree will gain a lot of maturity.

carlos

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:05 am

carlos wrote:Would you consider removing the apical foliage mass, the one located at the left side of the upper jin? I think that by removing it the tree will gain a lot of maturity.

hi, yes, well worth considering, or it could be moved down lower on the trunk ? as i wanted a 'back branch' to give proper depth to the tree - looking at the picture it would look good half way down the trunk, framing the dead wood with dark foliage - i've tended to consider this cascade as a tree upside down as well - that branch is the first branch and the apex is at the bottom, coming forward to the viewer - a slightly alternative idea but it still gives a nice image

I've eased the lowest pad closer to the end one so it appears as a layer of the same, but i've retained it coming forward as again this gives the real 3D tree a lot more depth. - its tricky to not style the tree so it only looks good as a flat picture - i think on any tree we style the branches and trunk on the left, centre and right are the important 'photo' parts of the tree but the most important bits to make a convincing real tree in the flesh are the front and back areas.

3D cameras wont be far away now - that will be cool Very Happy

i'll take another picture with the tweaks in place
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Yew - first styling  Empty 6 months later in a pot

Post  marcus watts Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:23 am

i went to visit a bonsai potter (Gordon Hunt) yesterday who it turned out lived less than an hour from me.

visiting the studio it seemed best to relieve him of some stock as this cascade pot caught my eye and the yew was still sat in the plastic pot. over the last months i tweaked the tree a bit - all the little pads of foliage became annoying so i removed some, and moved the others into one mass.

The tree went straight from the plastic into the new pot and the gaps round the edge were filled with soil - no root disturbance as it is the wrong time of year. I plan to continue training layers of growth downwards while extending the foliage width - maybe even all the way down into a true cascade - and the heavy bit of dead stump stuck up needs making lighter too - its a bit chunky i think.

Yew - first styling  005800x572

We ended up with a big box of accent and small shohin pots too.....so lots to play about with in the coming months

i'm not so good at paint but this sort of thing maybe
Yew - first styling  005800x572-1

thanks marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down