Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you ship a medium-large sized tree?

3 posters

Go down

How do you ship a medium-large sized tree? Empty How do you ship a medium-large sized tree?

Post  Gideon Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:02 am

So need some input on how to ship a tree. Here is what I thought I would do but do let me know if theres an easier way. Also how long would be the max that the tree can be in shipment? 3,4, or 5 days?

-Water thoroughly
-Wrap the base/pot/soil in saran wrap
-Build an open crate (no sides) out of wood to perfectly fit a box, secure the pot onto the base of the crate with wire and put it in the shipping box. Either leave it as is or fill everything with packing peanuts.
-Or Just secure the pot into a smaller box with wire to act as a crate, and put that into a larger box for shipment.

If I'm missing something, or if I'm overdoing/over thinking this and theres an easier way of doing it please let me know.
Gideon
Gideon

Back to top Go down

How do you ship a medium-large sized tree? Empty Re: How do you ship a medium-large sized tree?

Post  mojojava Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:10 am

I have shipped a number of trees both potted as well as pre-bonsai in plastic and clay pots, and have used this method for each one and have never had any problems.

1. water very well day before.
2. press damp newspaper on soil surface for entire top of pot.
3. Either wrap whole pot (not whole tree) with plastic bag and tape tightly/securely. Can also simply tape around pot but tape sometimes sticks too well to pot and not enough to damp paper.
4. cut thick piece of cardboard (or several) to fit exactly in bottom of appropriate size box.
5. use thick gauge wire crossing several time around base of trunk and around sides of pot, poking ends of wire through all bottom layers of cardboard and out the bottom of box. twist secure wires as you would anchor tree in pot when repotting.
6. Once tree is secured to bottom portion of box fill middle/top around trunk and branches with packing peanuts or crushed newspaper,bubble wrap, whatever up to top of box and secure top.
have found so long as I specifically request "this side up" at the post they will mark it for you and the delivery men will usually pay attention. I have never had any complaints and never lost a tree this way. May take a little time but determinately worth the effort and very cheap if you mail trees regularly.
Good Luck,
Blake
mojojava
mojojava

Back to top Go down

How do you ship a medium-large sized tree? Empty Re: How do you ship a medium-large sized tree?

Post  Gideon Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:34 am

Thanks for the reply Mojo, so the wire will be visible from the outside bottom of the box? You've never had the PO or whatever service you use give you trouble about this? I was trying to avoid any wire showing. What company/shipping service do you usually use? Thanks again.
Gideon
Gideon

Back to top Go down

Post  mojojava Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:20 am

Yes the wire is exposed out the bottom. You can also start the wire from the bottom then twist the ends over the top of the pot inside the box. It all really just depends on the size shape of the box. I usually just run tape over the wire on the bottom when I tape up the box and I've never had any problems.
I usually just use USPS priority, but if you have a very LARGE box UPS is ok if its not too heavy. Check both because one might be cheaper depending on where its getting shipped. Hope that helps, any more questions let me know.
Blake
mojojava
mojojava

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:21 pm

I would take weather into consideration. Depending on the destination and species, shipping in the middle of the summer risks heat damage. It has been 95-100 degrees here for weeks now and a tree sitting in the UPS truck or by my backdoor might not make it. That said, I have had several shipped with a wood frame and that worked well. Another option is overnight but that will get really $$$

Good luck

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  Gideon Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate it.
Gideon
Gideon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down