Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai Culture Group-Malta Annual Exhibition

+7
Ravi Kiran
Billy M. Rhodes
Ka Pabling
alex e
ogi uyehara
Harleyrider
cosmos
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bonsai Culture Group-Malta Annual Exhibition - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonsai Culture Group-Malta Annual Exhibition

Post  Guest Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:29 pm

Very nice show Cosmos.
congratulations!

I love your Thyme and the rock too.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Bonsai Culture Group-Malta Annual Exhibition - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonsai Culture Group-Malta Annual Exhibition

Post  Ka Pabling Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:23 pm

cosmos wrote:Small buckthorn (Rhamnus oleoides)
Bonsai Culture Group-Malta Annual Exhibition - Page 2 Cimg5418

I like the way you put tags on your trees,all trees are properly identified with their scientific and comon names in bold letters then a few things about the tree perhaps. The name of the owner in tiny letters below.
regards

Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:57 pm

cosmos wrote:Ligustrum

Bonsai Culture Group-Malta Annual Exhibition - Page 2 Cimg5419

I have one of these, I think mine is a Chinese import. Actually my wife bought it at Miami Tropical Bonsai about 8 to 10 years ago.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Thanks Jun and Pabling. More pics from the show. Hope you enjoy them.
Bonsai Culture Group-Malta Annual Exhibition - Page 2 Cimg5316
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Bonsai Culture Group-Malta Annual Exhibition - Page 2 Cimg5317
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:36 pm

Bonsai Culture Group-Malta Annual Exhibition - Page 2 Cimg5318
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Bonsai Culture Group-Malta Annual Exhibition - Page 2 Cimg5319
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:22 am

Hi Cosmos,

Thanks for sharing the pics. Excellent trees and so is the venue. My favourite I must admit is the Thyme. Despite its size, its trunk looks weathered and beaten, much like the Olive trees. If someone were to tell me that the fiery bush of Moses in the Bible looked like this stunner.... I'd believe it. Great show.....

I have also seen a different approach in the name tags. The date of when the tree was first exhibited.... very unique indeed. Not too sure if this approach is taken anywhere else but a great approach indeed.

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  stavros Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:01 am

lovely trees cosmos,

I mostly enjoyed seeing the tetraclinis and the thymus (mediterranean species).

ANy notes on cultivation of these species ??(maybe in another thread ....not to pirate this one!!)

stavros

Back to top Go down

Post  roykoibon Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:14 am

Congratulations!!! Splendid exhibition in a majestic and conducive environment. Looks like most of the trees are trained the orthodox way...in clusters for each tip of the branch. The natural style not in trend? Btw, what's the present style or shape that's the in-thing now where bonsai competitions are concerned? Thanks and congratz again.
Regards...
roykoibon
roykoibon

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Hi Roykoibon
We are still in our infancy but still are doing great strides for a very small island in the Mediterranean. When we invited Master Salvatore Liporace 3 years ago he told us that we are desinging our trees in the classical way. He even told us that the new ratio of girth and height (aspect ratio) is 1:3 or 1:2 if you can help it. But when it comes to yamadori you have to let the tree talk to you and style it the natural way. Given the fact that we have small valleys it is very difficult to find yamadori and many of the species are protected. So we have to start from humble beginings, like from seeds, cuttings or air-layering. Having made twinnings with Sicily, we are learning new techniques with the mediterraneans; like that olives and wild olives (olivasters) can be grown from very large cuttings; like that bouganivilleas can also be grown from very large cuttings.

Hi Stavros
When I have the time I will do a thread on tetrclinus and thyme like you said.

Hi Ravi
We put the date of first exhibition because we used to get problems about the age of the tree and the visiting public always is asking how old are the trees.

All of you thanks for your kind comments.

Bonsai Culture Group-Malta Annual Exhibition - Page 2 Pm_ta010

cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:31 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaiiD9eYQak&feature=youtu.be

links to video of exhibition. Long due....
cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Nice show, love your thyme, and lingstrum
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  JB80 Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:00 pm

Very nice show and great update!

Was there ever a thread on the Tetraclinis?
I have just dug one up and am hoping it will survive and am finding info hard to come by.
JB80
JB80

Back to top Go down

Post  cosmos Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:35 pm

Try this link of a lecture that I once gave. it is in Maltese but try to google translate it and get the gist out of it. Hope this helps.

http://www.bonsaimalta.org/resources/lectures.htm

Scroll down until you fing the word 'Gharghar' then download the pdf.

cosmos
cosmos

Back to top Go down

Post  JB80 Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:12 am

Awesome, thank you. Just downloaded it now. ThumbsUp
JB80
JB80

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2