Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thanks to an IBC member

5 posters

Go down

Thanks to an IBC member Empty Thanks to an IBC member

Post  Mike Jones Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:57 pm

At the front of 2010 I posted a request to see if anyone had any untrained Satsuki material for sale. Thanks to a really wonderful member I was contacted and decided to meet and purchase this small Satsuki.

Width is around 36/38cm and height around 32cm. I've included the 'offering' image then a progression since April 2010 to now. I just tidied it slightly in 2010 prior to flowering and then really just potted on once flowering was over. I've never had much success re-potting post flowering, but 100% success when re-potting mid March (ish) then much post 'potterative' care, and never stop the plant from flowering in the same year.

'Offering image' first.

Thanks to an IBC member 5805516408_46b1c01824_z
Satsuki Azalea April 2010 by Bonsai-Passion, on Flickr

Quick tidy nothing much else then flowering in 2010.

Thanks to an IBC member 5805510686_21a629f754_z
DSC02942 by Bonsai-Passion, on Flickr

Then potted up into an over-sized spare pot with some further refinement.

Thanks to an IBC member 5804956743_16ef3caaff_z
DSC04138 by Bonsai-Passion, on Flickr

Lots of refinement from March 2011 when I re-potted into the current pot. It was just a notion really to use this Erin pot; and since then I have purchased a pot from China Mist which I consider will be more suitable.

Anyway; in 12 months I am thus far pleased. Health is vibrant, so I am happy for it to continue flowering for a week or so, I have this year removed around 200 buds in total. I have only used organic feeds all the way through. It was not protected during our recent savage UK winter. Again, my thanks to the IBC member for originally getting in touch.

I have further work to carry out which will be carried on this year and 2012. In 2013 I will repot once again into the new China Mist pot.

Thanks to an IBC member 5803794866_bec3b3e13c_z
Satsuki small by Bonsai-Passion, on Flickr
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Thanks to an IBC member Empty Re: Thanks to an IBC member

Post  thomasj Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:58 pm

Good work in such a short time. I wish I had that kind of luck with azaleas but I just don't. Tried a few times and was never pleased with the way things were going, so I gave up on them. I tried my hand at JBPs and found something I was good at along with my ch elms and junipers. Very Happy

Thanks for making me jealous. Sad
thomasj
thomasj

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Nice work Mike! Give yourself a good pat on the back.

Did the seller tell you the variety? Looks like 'Eikan'.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:19 am

I like the design you gave to the tree, I am curious about the Chinese pot you mention.
Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:27 am

xuan le wrote:I like the design you gave to the tree, I am curious about the Chinese pot you mention.
Xuan

Hi Xuan; you misunderstand me; the pot is from a company called 'China Mist' who I sadly found out at BoBB 2011 are calling it a day. Shame really they make some lovely pots and achievable prices. They are based in South Yorkshire but not a lot on the site right now.

http://www.chinamist.co.uk/items.php?limit=1&CA=6

Hi Russell

I consider it to be 'Kaho.' White predominance with light green centres, two further sports of solid pink and white with pink stripe, flower shape, colour appears consistent with Kaho. Much work planned for this tree over time.

Oh and thank you

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:26 pm

Mike Jones wrote: I consider it to be 'Kaho.' White predominance with light green centres, two further sports of solid pink and white with pink stripe, flower shape, colour appears consistent with Kaho.

Could be 'Kaho'. The problem is that what you describe is also consistent with 'Eikan', and these two are really hard to tell apart in pictures. Based on foliage I'd say 'Eikan' from your first picture, and 'Kaho' from the third! Kinda makes you want to pull your hair out sometimes.

Not that you probably care, but I have to say I prefer it in a more typical bonsai pot.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Glaucus Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:28 pm

'Kaho' is purple and 'Eikan' is red. Once solid flowers appear you should be able to tell the difference. Pictures distort colours a lot.

Glaucus

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:57 pm

Russell Coker wrote:
Mike Jones wrote: I consider it to be 'Kaho.' White predominance with light green centres, two further sports of solid pink and white with pink stripe, flower shape, colour appears consistent with Kaho.

Not that you probably care, but I have to say I prefer it in a more typical bonsai pot.

R

Oh I agree with you Russell. I just thought I'd try it as it was spare. No, the China Mist one I have purchased will suit the tree much more. ThumbsUp
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down