Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here's a few pots...

+33
jersanct
tomas g
Sam Ogranaja
bumblebee
horst
Rob Kempinski
newzealandteatree
Jesse
Gwyther
Marty Weiser
dave
Tom Benda
pjkatich
Roger Snipes
Dale Cochoy
GaryWood
Kagemusha
sitarbonsai
Dan Barton
Alan Walker
John Quinn
Harleyrider
EdMerc
prestontolbert
Stone Monkey
Russell Coker
Klaudia & Martin
Jim Doiron
rock
Robert Wallace
peter krebs
kitoi
Rob Addonizio
37 posters

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

Here's a few pots... - Page 9 Empty Re: Here's a few pots...

Post  Rob Addonizio Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:40 pm

Somehow I forgot this guy. A medium sized oval purse, (I really love the form of these traditional pots), with a white stoneware clay.

This is a yellow glaze that turned into a muted green color in reduction.Here's a few pots... - Page 9 2011-016
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Wallace Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:02 am

Rob,
Nice work as always, and I enjoy your ablility to articulate your thoughts. Is that rectangle going to be part of the National Arboretum collection? Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing your thoughs and views.
Robert Wallace
Robert Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:19 am

Thanks for the kind words Robert!

The pot was commissioned for a curator of the Nation Arboretum, and is to be displayed this spring in an upcoming exhibit, but not a permanent one.

Do I understand you have one on permanent exhibit?

Cheers-
Rob
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Wallace Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:32 am

Rob Addonizio wrote:Thanks for the kind words Robert!

The pot was commissioned for a curator of the Nation Arboretum, and is to be displayed this spring in an upcoming exhibit, but not a permanent one.

Still very cool Cool

Do I understand you have one on permanent exhibit?

Not that I am aware of, maybe one day...

Cheers-
Rob

Talk to ya soon,
Robert
Robert Wallace
Robert Wallace

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:05 am

Hello again everyone,
Been a bit busy of late, what with my regular job and family and all, but I kind of miss this place....

I thought i would share some shots of some from my kiln made last month. Here is a little guy, only about 3 or so inches across:

Here's a few pots... - Page 9 2011-010
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:12 am

I have been trying to make better pots, more refined, better proportioned...
This pot is around 5 or so inches across. It sold very quickly, so perhaps I am headed in the right direction?

Here's a few pots... - Page 9 2011-011
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:18 am

Here a larger commissioned oval...

Here's a few pots... - Page 9 2011-014
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:23 am

This next pot, another commission, was one of my most favorite pots. Designed for a beautiful pine, I put a bit of interest in the rim with some line work. It is a bit on the rustic side, so traditionalists please don't be offended.... Shocked
Here's a few pots... - Page 9 2011-015
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:24 am

Rob Addonizio wrote:Here a larger commissioned oval...

Here's a few pots... - Page 9 2011-014

Rob, it's beautiful!

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Good looking pots Rob.

I'm glad to see that the 50/50 clay body is working out for you. It shows off the green glazes very well.

Is that an engobe on the rustic pot?

I was up in D.C. last month for the cherry blossom festival. While I was there, I made my way out to the National Arboretum to see the bonsai collection. As luck would have it, the young man you made that nice rectangular pot was working the day I visited. We had a great discussion about you, the pot, and the tree he planned to put into it next spring. I got the impression that he was very happy with your work.

For what it's worth, in my opinion, you have always been headed in the right direction.

Keep up the good work.

See you soon,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:19 pm

Hi Russell,

Thanks for your great compliment! I feel that it is a real asset to have you lurking here and giving feedback, albeit positive or negative. It is this type of critical thinking that helps one to become a better potter Very Happy
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:33 pm

Hey Paul,

As always, it is good to hear from you my friend. How was the St. Louis? I hope you did well. Your pots pretty much sell themselves! Very Happy

Interesting to hear that you met up with Aarin. He is a very nice man, and quite passionate with bonsai. Did he tell you how well I packed his pot? That was quite an art in itself! I don't know how a potter can trust package/delivery company like UPS or FEDEX to do all the work.... Rolling Eyes

You mentioned the engobe. The color of the unglazed pots actually comes from a wash of 1/3 Ferro 2124, 1/3 RIO, 1/3 EPK. I am going to experiment with the EPK, because it starts to get a bit shiny at ^7. I may do that, or look into choosing a higher melting frit, or just scrap it and go with another recipe altogether.

Looking forward to seeing you again in Orlando-
Rob
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  peter krebs Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi Rob,
these are all very expressive pots again, good work. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Best wishes
Peter

Back to top Go down

Post  pjkatich Sun May 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Rob Addonizio wrote:Hey Paul,

As always, it is good to hear from you my friend. How was the St. Louis? I hope you did well. Your pots pretty much sell themselves! Very Happy

Interesting to hear that you met up with Aarin. He is a very nice man, and quite passionate with bonsai. Did he tell you how well I packed his pot? That was quite an art in itself! I don't know how a potter can trust package/delivery company like UPS or FEDEX to do all the work.... Rolling Eyes

You mentioned the engobe. The color of the unglazed pots actually comes from a wash of 1/3 Ferro 2124, 1/3 RIO, 1/3 EPK. I am going to experiment with the EPK, because it starts to get a bit shiny at ^7. I may do that, or look into choosing a higher melting frit, or just scrap it and go with another recipe altogether.

Looking forward to seeing you again in Orlando-
Rob

Hey Rob,

St. Louis is later this month and I am looking forward to the trip.

Your right about Aarin. He is very passionate about bonsai.

He was busy watering the trees when I met up with him. I stopped and complimented him on how well the pines and junipers looked this year. This is the best I have seen them in a long time. This lead to an informative dialog on the current state of the National Collection and the pot you made for him. He did mention the great job you did on the packaging for his pot. He also told me that the pots was a gift from his parents and that this was his first custom pot.

Orlando is just around the corner, see you there.

Cheers,
Paul
pjkatich
pjkatich

Back to top Go down

Post  Gwyther Thu May 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi Rob

All great pots, but i especially like the commissioned shallow rectangle.

Cheers Smile
Vic
Gwyther
Gwyther

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Tue May 31, 2011 12:49 pm

Rob

I am even more envious now I dont have a gas kiln Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Great pots mate, they will sell like hot cakes. Love seeing your work

All the best

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Tue May 31, 2011 4:51 pm

Rob Addonizio wrote:I have been trying to make better pots, more refined, better proportioned...
This pot is around 5 or so inches across. It sold very quickly, so perhaps I am headed in the right direction?

I really like quite a few pots you have posted throughout this thread. This recent one that sold so quickly is spectacular to my untrained eye. I love the way you were able to get a wide variety/range of color into the pot so subtly and without sharp transitions. The glaze color seems perfect with the base color and shape of the pot including the lip and the feet. It has such a perfectly 'aged' feel to me.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Jesse,
Thanks for your positive feedback. You apparently have a sensitivity for subtlety. This is something that I have been trying to develop, and it has been very engaging. I just finished a very big show, and am currently trying to get caught up on everything, but when I do I will try to include some posts about this very same topic. I may even do a comparison of my earlier work/glazes, and what I have been developing recently.

BUT, perhaps I could pass along a photo or two in the meantime. Please feel free to comment, positive OR negative...

This mid sized pot sold very quickly. I really pushed the temp in this glaze firing and did some work on the cooling rate after a long soak. There are some really nice aqua crystals that developed on the bottom edge:

Here's a few pots... - Page 9 2011-017
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:55 pm

I think that pot was about 5" inches across if I remember correctly.

Here is one that I sold very quickly as well. I think it was less than 3" wide. This is not a new glaze, just one that I tweaked on temp, firing rate, and application (how thick or thin it is applied).Here's a few pots... - Page 9 2011-018Here's a few pots... - Page 9 2011-019
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:05 pm

That was both sides of the same pot. One has a special drip and the other is without.

Oh, and here is another pot with the same glaze as the 5" one, with the blue crystals being more evident. The size of it is about 4" or so.

Here's a few pots... - Page 9 2011-020

Well, that's all I can post at the moment. Please remember when all you guys out there comment, it helps to shape my vision and style, so please, please all comments and questions welcomed!

Thanks,
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  newzealandteatree Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:02 pm

Rob, those are very nice pieces. I like them. I am surprised u managed to get crystals using ordinary glaze. Have u got any experience with crystalline glazing ? I am reviving my interest in ceramics as it is so difficult to get the right pot for my bonsai in where I live. I get enchanted with crystalline glazing and is working on it.
Cheers, CJ
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi CJ-

Thanks for taking time to comment. This glaze in my opinion is not an ordinary glaze. It originates from Val Cushing and Pam Fredricks and developed for the characteristics of which you speak. I decided that slower cooling after peak and soaking, could play out its qualities to the fullest. More experimentation is warranted, and I am looking forward to what direction that takes me....

BTW, when you do revive your work in pot making, please remember to share it here, on this great forum Very Happy

Thanks again,
Rob
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  newzealandteatree Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:04 am

Rob, of course I will share my works with all the good people here when the time is right. Now is lots of experimentations which is something I like since school days. I am inspired by Bill Boyd's creative works. See it here:http://www.billboydceramics.com/
Cheers and best regards, CJ.
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:50 am

In my last round of production, I found a couple of happy accidents. Here is one where the glaze dripped unexpectedly...

Here's a few pots... - Page 9 2011-010
Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Addonizio Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:53 am

Here, the other side..

Rob Addonizio
Rob Addonizio

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next