Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Identifying a Plant ~ PA

+2
JimLewis
Kiyalynn
6 posters

Go down

Identifying a Plant ~ PA Empty Identifying a Plant ~ PA

Post  Kiyalynn Mon May 30, 2011 7:00 pm

I live in Somerset Pennsylvania USA, and have a very pretty twin trunk young tree. I'm having a very hard time figuring out what it is; I had thought it to be part of the maple family because of Palmately Lobed leaves. However, The leaves are alternate of each other not opposite. Leaves start red to brownish red and turn green as they get older. Twigs are blood red, but the older parts of the trunk are greyish brown. I'm unsure of the color on a older tree, this one is quite young. The tree (or bush maybe) was found in a garden, it is possible the plant is not native to PA, but it is capable of surviving here.
Any ideas on what it might be would be helpful as I can look them up and compare.
I hope I Have provided enough Info... Thank you for your time.
Kiyalynn
Kiyalynn
Kiyalynn

Back to top Go down

Identifying a Plant ~ PA Empty Re: Identifying a Plant ~ PA

Post  JimLewis Mon May 30, 2011 7:31 pm

A picture -- of a leaf (a scanner works great) and a branch with several leaves, and the bark of a mature tree would be a big help.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiyalynn Mon May 30, 2011 7:47 pm

Ok theres a scan of a Lower branch I cut off, The leaf up in the corner was midway down that branch on the back, I cut it off because I didn't want it to overlap. Notice the Red trunk and red top most leaf. Quarter was added to show size of these leaves. Bigger leaves do show more distint three parts but I dont want to damage my plant. I hope this helps. And thank you JimLewis for suggesting scanner!

Identifying a Plant ~ PA With_q10
Kiyalynn
Kiyalynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon May 30, 2011 8:58 pm

Looks like a hawthorn or crabapple to me.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Identifying a Plant ~ PA Empty Identifying a Plant

Post  bonsaisr Mon May 30, 2011 9:05 pm

Indeed, probably good bonsai material. Is it still in the ground? Does it bloom? For a positive ID, take a piece to the Phipps Conservatory. (Be sure to see the Welwitschia.) They have a pretty good bonsai collection, & there is a club in the area.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiyalynn Mon May 30, 2011 10:11 pm

Thank you everyone for responding.
I now belive it to be a Hawthorn Maple tree. I'm unsure of blooms, I should ask My aunt-in-law if her larger one blooms.
Its currently in a pot on my front porch, where it gets little direct sunlight but plenty of indirect. Its 15in tall with twin pea sized trunks (one quite a bit shorter than the other).
I'm thinking I will move it directly into a Bonsai Pot and start it small.
Kiyalynn
Kiyalynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue May 31, 2011 12:21 am

Kiyalynn wrote: I now belive it to be a Hawthorn Maple tree.

A what?????????? scratch
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Identifying a Plant ~ PA Empty Hmmmm

Post  Jim McIntyre Tue May 31, 2011 12:29 am

There is a Hawthorn- leaved Maple ( Acer crataegifolium ) , but that is NOT it .... it looks like a Crabapple to me .

Jim McIntyre

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Tue May 31, 2011 1:39 am

Sure would be nice to know if it's a tree or shrub. That makes a lot of difference. Something tells me this is a shrub and not a tree. I agree that it's not Acer crataegifolium.

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue May 31, 2011 2:33 am

Kiyalynn wrote:
Patience. That may be a mistake. Please show us a picture of the whole plant first.
It would be better if you grow it in the ground until the trunk is an inch thick. Once you have it in a bonsai pot the trunk will stay skinny forever.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue May 31, 2011 2:49 am

Randy_Davis wrote: I agree that it's not Acer crataegifolium.

It's not an Acer anything, period! I'm sticking with crabapple.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiyalynn Tue May 31, 2011 3:02 am

bonsaisr wrote:
Kiyalynn wrote:
Patience. That may be a mistake. Please show us a picture of the whole plant first.
It would be better if you grow it in the ground until the trunk is an inch thick. Once you have it in a bonsai pot the trunk will stay skinny forever.
Iris
Is it possible to thicken the trunk in a large pot rather than putting it straight in a bonsai pot? I'm very worried that a harsh winter will just kill all my seedlings if I plant them all outside. I live in PA in a valley between two moutain ski resorts... and ussualy get 2-5 feet over the winter.
Edit- Second question, Will the twin trunks remain as they get bigger or tend to merge together?

Last edited by Kiyalynn on Tue May 31, 2011 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Kiyalynn
Kiyalynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiyalynn Tue May 31, 2011 3:08 am

I still am not sure what it is. I was pretty sure the rooted branch I have was the only crab apple I picked up, they are not the same type of plant looking at them here. I 'could' Of mixed up witch one was the crab apple. However the other Plant I have that I belive is a crab apple has the remnets of little berry seeds, With a more round leaf brown turning to green. Witch just puzzles me. The leaves reminded me of the maple family as I set to classify my Sugar Maple. Maybe I should try looking into shrubs, That could be the problem.
Kiyalynn
Kiyalynn

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue May 31, 2011 3:11 am

Kiyalynn,
Before you make any bonsai plans with this plant, it is important to get it properly identified. Hawthorns and maples are from entirely different families. Their growth habits and response to bonsai culture are different. You need to know what to expect from them.
If it comes down to a question of whether this is a hawthorn or a crabapple, you will know how to proceed. They are rather closely related, both in the rose family, and the beginning of their bonsai training will be the same. If this plant has alternate leaves, it is definitely not a maple.
Iris

bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Identifying a Plant ~ PA Empty Identifying a Tree

Post  bonsaisr Tue May 31, 2011 3:22 am

Kiyalynn wrote: I'm very worried that a harsh winter will just kill all my seedlings if I plant them all outside. I live in PA in a valley between two moutain ski resorts... and usually get 2-5 feet over the winter.
You are in USDA hardiness zone 5. Your plants will be fine in the winter if you keep them in a sheltered area protected from excessive wind and blowing snow. A gentle snow blanket is exactly what they need.
Kiyalynn wrote: Second question, Will the twin trunks remain as they get bigger or tend to merge together?
We can't answer that question without a picture. If the bottoms of the trunks are touching now, they will eventually grow together, which is fine.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Kiyalynn Tue May 31, 2011 3:34 am

bonsaisr wrote:We can't answer that question without a picture. If the bottoms of the trunks are touching now, they will eventually grow together, which is fine.
Iris
(I really wish I had a digital camera, Getting one soon)
The trunks are touching use right above thier roots (I burried the merge in the current pot), both come from the same set of roots.
Kiyalynn
Kiyalynn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down