Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn

5 posters

Go down

Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn Empty Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn

Post  RichLewis Thu May 26, 2011 4:50 pm

Hello all

How well do 'Scarlet Paul' hawthorns take to airlayering? I removed a ring of cambium and dusted with rooting hormone and am just keeping it damp.

You tend to see a lot of hawthorn bonsai with white flowers, I thought I would give this cultivar a go as the red/pink flowers are quite attractive. Don't know how well they take they take to this method of propagation. Any tips or ideas would be appreciated!

Cheers

Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn Hawtho10

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn Empty Re: Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn

Post  Lee Brindley Fri May 27, 2011 9:07 pm

There was a recent thread on Paul's Scarlet and the subject of air-layering came up. I would be interested to read the replies here. I too have attempted an air-layer a few weeks ago. What I have read from various sources is that they are slower to take than common hawthorn.
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn Empty Re: Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn

Post  Ian Young Fri May 27, 2011 10:36 pm

They say [who ever they are] that they are slower than a normal hawthorn, but I'm interested to see how yours progresses. I've been wanting to do the same, just can't find one good enough.
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  RichLewis Sat May 28, 2011 1:26 am

Thanks for the replies guys! I guess we'll have to wait and see. This tree belongs to my father and he has spent several years pruning and shaping it; I could have chosen a better branch but didn't want to ruin the tree as it's not mine.

I had an idea to cut off all the spent flowers to see if that would help rooting but it's not feasible as the branch is way too high. I often see this cultivar for sale grafted onto another rootstock, so perhaps it's not as robust root-wise.

Something has been chewing at some airlayers on another tree in the garden, so I may have some work to do this week! Mad

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn Empty airlayering paul scarlet

Post  paul.spearman Mon May 30, 2011 8:42 am

Hi Richard i airlayard a paul scalert 5 years ago they dont airlay very well after 8 months i removed
from tree into a 50 percent grit and akerdama mix taken the 5 years to start growing and root development best of luck Paul

paul.spearman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 30, 2011 10:00 am

'They' do say that Paul's Scarlet takes longer.. and if that 'Paul' is paul.spearman then 'They' may well be correct.

I too would like to air layer a Paul's Scarlet but have yet to find a suitable donor branch as they are all rather straight and with little character. Sad

Back to top Go down

Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn Empty airlayer paul scarlet

Post  paul.spearman Mon May 30, 2011 10:57 am

yes its Paul Spearman of the 2 i tried both of them were slow ,on a large common Hawthorn I
airlayered 14 inch truck six months job done all airlayers done in march
reg Paul

paul.spearman

Back to top Go down

Post  RichLewis Mon May 30, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks for your replies guys! Paul, would you describe the method you use? There are plenty of common hawthorn available in the garden. Would now be good time to try a layer?

If the Paul's Scarlet doesn't root, I won't lose too much sleep. Although, perhaps it would be possible to graft some common hawthorn whips (which spring up everywhere here) onto a branch and severe it once they have bonded over a few seasons.

Cheers

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Mon May 30, 2011 4:02 pm

Here's a link that might be of interest. It's a layer on a hawthorn that I did last year.

http://bonsaieejit.wordpress.com/case-studies/air-layering-a-hawthorn/
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 30, 2011 4:04 pm

Ian Young wrote:Here's a link that might be of interest. It's a layer on a hawthorn that I did last year.

I really like this post on your blog when I saw it earlier... 'cept he is not happy when its cut off... cheer up mate

Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn 5083479751_5f9f4b3aa9

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Mon May 30, 2011 4:43 pm

tony wrote:
Ian Young wrote:Here's a link that might be of interest. It's a layer on a hawthorn that I did last year.

I really like this post on your blog when I saw it earlier... 'cept he is not happy when its cut off... cheer up mate

Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn 5083479751_5f9f4b3aa9

Oi!! It was baltic and the mate kept feckin about with the camera lol!

Going to trawl the interweb for grumpy photos of you now jocolor
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Mon May 30, 2011 5:03 pm

Is this grumpy? Hard to tell flower
Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn S_4
and you don;t look the life and soul here either jocolor jocolor
Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn Image-upload-286-773617
Isn't the interweb fun ThumbsUp

I must admit, in 99% of my search, you were smiling Very Happy
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  RichLewis Mon May 30, 2011 7:45 pm

Thanks for the link Ian, seems I was along the right lines. It was a good layer, cheer up!

Smile

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Mon May 30, 2011 11:39 pm

RichLewis wrote:Thanks for the link Ian, seems I was along the right lines. It was a good layer, cheer up!

Smile

Don't you start
Suspect lol!
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 31, 2011 9:16 am

Ian Young wrote: I must admit, in 99% of my search, you were smiling Very Happy

Hi Ian this Interweb thingy is a Dangerous tool in the wrong hands.

Its a shame you chose this photo as we were in a state of shock after visiting the Flanders War Museum Ypers on a trip to Belgium... well worth a trip 'Lest we forget' Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Tue May 31, 2011 9:25 am

tony wrote:
Ian Young wrote: I must admit, in 99% of my search, you were smiling Very Happy

Hi Ian this Interweb thingy is a Dangerous tool in the wrong hands.

Its a shame you chose this photo as we were in a state of shock after visiting the Flanders War Museum Ypers on a trip to Belgium... well worth a trip 'Lest we forget' Crying or Very sad

I did a battlefields tour of France and Belgium last September. My wife, not a history person, came with and was as stunned as I was by what we saw. The War graves on both sides were beyond comprehension. Hard to smile indeed, but because of their sacrifice, we are free to smile today.
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn Empty airlayering paul scarlet

Post  paul.spearman Tue May 31, 2011 11:29 am

Hi Richard
Ian Youngs link is spot on. the only difference being i left a 10mm strip down each side
for saftey as i airlayered the whole tree at the base i also used hormone rooting powder
reg Paul

paul.spearman

Back to top Go down

Post  RichLewis Tue May 31, 2011 3:15 pm

paul.spearman wrote:Hi Richard
Ian Youngs link is spot on. the only difference being i left a 10mm strip down each side
for saftey as i airlayered the whole tree at the base i also used hormone rooting powder
reg Paul

ThumbsUp

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn Empty Update

Post  RichLewis Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Hello all

Had a check under the moss today; it's forming a callous on one side and what appears to be the beginning of very small roots. Looks to be working!

Found a few earwigs in there, are they likely to pose a problem?

Cheers

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

Airlayering 'Scarlet Paul' Hawthorn Empty Air-layering 'Paul's Scarlet'

Post  bonsaisr Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:12 am

RichLewis wrote:
Found a few earwigs in there, are they likely to pose a problem?

Cheers
Earwigs are reported to eat plants, but I have never found them particularly voracious. The only problem is they bite.
'Paul's Scarlet' and the other named hybrid hawthorns are Crataegus xmedia. The common hawthorn is C. monogyna. It is not surprising that they behave a little differently.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down