Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms

+2
John Quinn
Vlad
6 posters

Go down

Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms Empty Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms

Post  Vlad Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:52 am

Height: 21 cm
Origin: from cuttings
Pot: the first one I was able to grasp in the storage
Relation: my favourite ( when in full bloom )

Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms Blosso10
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms Empty Re: Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms

Post  John Quinn Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:30 am

Lovely...thanks for the pic.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms Empty Re: Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms

Post  my nellie Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:09 pm

Spectacular blossom!
Please kindly post a picture with the fruits, too Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:16 pm

Maybe next time, Alexandra. Few days after taking this pic I have taken a pair of scissors... No single fruit this time. On the brighter side though, I have left some of the berries on my little blackthorn. They are still green but I will take and share a pic later this week.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Thank you! Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:10 am

Great tree !
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:01 am

Nice tree, well done!
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:46 am

How late in the growing season can you prune these back and still get flowers next spring? I have 5 of which only 1 bloomed. I did not cut back this year at all on that one.

Thanks,

Mike
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:57 pm

Lost2301 wrote:How late in the growing season can you prune these back and still get flowers next spring?

Hi Mike, as you mentioned Pyracanthas flower on last season shoots. So leaving the shoots untouched should results in massive flowering - providing the plant is healthy and well fed. I suppose that trimming/pruning in a mid summer should provide a good amount of time to produce new shoots and get some flower buds before the end of the growing season. Still possibility to shorten too long shoots to keep a reasonable outline of the crown.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:10 pm

Hi Vlad,

Thanks for response. I thought that was the case. One of our club members has a very large one and it is beautiful when it has orange berries on it. My Pyracanthas like growing in different areas around the house. 2 like full sun in the backyard, the other 3 did not like full sun and I had to move them back to the east side of the house with afternoon shade. These 3 east side trees lost about two thirds of their leaves. By next year they were all leafed out again. I moved two of them under shade cloth this year and they love it there. I usually prune them back a couple times a season except for the one that bloomed ! Duh! I am putting one of them into our show next week. It will be interesting how the tree will be received at the show.

Thanks again for sharing you knowledge.
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:26 am

Good luck with your tree/s on the show, Mike.

Interesting point you have raised regarding the differencies between individual plants within the same species. They do differ as much as we do...
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms Empty Pyracantha_Update

Post  Vlad Mon May 11, 2020 5:19 pm

Happy with the rain outside.   I should rather say:  Badly needed rain at last.   Thank you very much for that.  If there is a chance please give us more...

Another good blossoming season for this tree.  
Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms 038_ib10

Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms 041_ib10

And there is a smaller one.  Any time I pass by it I feel guilty not sorting out the pot and roots this year...

Scarlet firethorn_Pyracantha coccinea_Blossoms 007_ib11

I have just realised: the pics from last year were made on 25th of May.  The same tree this year - on 11th May.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:38 pm

Yes I noticed the almost identical pictures. It shows tree in great health and fantastic blooming. Keep good care. Thanks for posting
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:32 pm

Beautiful, well done Cool
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Lost2301 Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:28 am

Hi Vlad, Great photos of a great tree. Have you ever had Pyracantha Scab on your tree. Its a fungus that attacks the leaves and starts producing brownish/blackish spots on them. Then entire leaf turns brown and dies. The fungus spreads through out the tree and if bad enough will kill it. This happen on my tree I entered in local show last fall. A squirrel attacked the tree after the show was over and it started to turning brown. Winter came and the tree was placed in the garage for the winter. Another Pyracantha sitting next to it on the floor. The tree continued to turn brown over the winter and was 70% brown by spring. The tree and the one next to it went outside. The tree died despite my best efforts. The other tree started dying to. I then found about Pyracantha Scab and about fell out of the chair, that is what was attacking my trees. I used Daconil  on my other tree and sprayed every 5 days and saved it. It is now sending out new leaves and growing well. Two more trees were attacked and I have sprayed them to and they seem to be ok.
Lost2301
Lost2301

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:13 pm

Hi Mike, loosing any tree is always a pain. Any information that could help us to reduce these loses is always very welcomed. I have never have a problem with this type of fungus on a firethorn. They seem to be quite hardy - at least that was my feeling. After checking the internet I have realised that I need to take more care about that. I do remember that on one of my firethorn ( I have only two in fact ) there are tiny dark spots on leaves. I have treated that with some fungicides but it seems to be quite persistent. BUt as there was no other signs of major problem I have not paid too much attention to it. So thank you for the heads up.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:57 am

Thanks for sharing Mike. Bought one this year and put in opend ground. Looks healthy. Will pay attantion to the leaves. As Vlad mention any loses are always painfull. Every bonsai is nice when grows healthy. Smile
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down