Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which pot and what angle?

+2
Roger Snipes
Randy_Davis
6 posters

Go down

Which pot and what angle? Empty Which pot and what angle?

Post  Randy_Davis Sat May 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Folks,

I'm in a quandry as to which of these pots looks better for the new angle of this Cedar. I like the new angle (as the lower one made the tree look "sleepy") but not sure if I should change pots when I do it next year. I would love to hear from others on their prefrence.

ta ta for now,
Randy

Which pot and what angle? C_brev10
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Which pot and what angle? Empty Re: Which pot and what angle?

Post  Roger Snipes Sat May 21, 2011 5:48 pm

Hi Randy,

I like the new potting angle as well. I think the round pot is appropriate for the tree. You could probably go to something similar, but not quite as deep. The rectangular pot is way too big IMHO.

Roger
Roger Snipes
Roger Snipes

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat May 21, 2011 6:11 pm

I was pretty much going to say the same thing as Roger but he has quicker typing fingers than I do.

Good choice of new planting angle.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Muscio Sat May 21, 2011 7:09 pm

I'll make it three votes for the round pot and the new angle.
Oliver

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat May 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Four votes
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sun May 22, 2011 5:26 pm

Hi Randy
The new angle and a lower round pot would be ok for me.
But i am bit puzzled by the lowest branch, it prevents me to read the trunk flow in to the tree.
What about opening the green so that the trunk is visible?
Regards, Sunip

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Sun May 22, 2011 10:29 pm

sunip wrote:Hi Randy
The new angle and a lower round pot would be ok for me.
But i am bit puzzled by the lowest branch, it prevents me to read the trunk flow in to the tree.
What about opening the green so that the trunk is visible?
Regards, Sunip

Hey Gang,

Sounds like there's agreement on the round pot and the new angle.

Yeppie!!!!!!

Sunip,
You cought me!!! the fist image was actually the rear view of the tree. Dummy me for loading the wrong image. Here is the front view of the tree the way is should be viewed.

Randy
Which pot and what angle? C_l_br11
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Mon May 23, 2011 9:26 am

Hi Randy,
Just a thought,
Looking at this light tree i was wondering how would it be if one would cut the top?
regards, Sunip

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon May 23, 2011 9:37 am

Hi Randy.

Funnily enough when I replied earlier I also thought about removing the top but didn't mention it. Now that we have it from the front, I would agree with Sunip, and if it were mine that's precisely what I'd do. Stress, of course, on the "if it were mine".

Regards

Fiona
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Mon May 23, 2011 1:28 pm

fiona wrote:Hi Randy.

Funnily enough when I replied earlier I also thought about removing the top but didn't mention it. Now that we have it from the front, I would agree with Sunip, and if it were mine that's precisely what I'd do. Stress, of course, on the "if it were mine".

Regards

Fiona

Sunip and Fiona,

I have also considered doing that on a number of occasions over the last year or so but have not convinced myself to do it "yet". I am more inclined to remove the first lower branch that comes out at the rear of the tree and still maintain that long senuous trunk which I like. Over time, the top growth will fill in, and help thicken the trunk which it needs and is one of the reasons that I've not done what you suggest. But, as aways, bonsai change with time and by the time that trunk thickes up by 50% and starts to bark up I'm sure something different will happen to that top for sure! It's nice to hear suggestions from others. It seems that those suggestions stick around in the back of the head and sometimes come to fruition.

ta ta for now,
Randy.
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Muscio Mon May 23, 2011 3:12 pm

You know, I don't much like that bottom branch at the rear, either (I actually liked it better in the view of the tree from the back.) I think the tree might look better with the top vertical portion of the apex removed, but, as you say, there is no hurry for that--plenty of time for further growth and contemplation.

Oliver

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Mon May 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi Randy,
On first sight i had the same impression about the backside as Oliver.
However your approach would be the same as mine, first i would leave the tree to mature and see what it looks then.
The problem with the lowest branch i feel is, that it looks like it is placed in the middle what does not works nice.
Because of that you let the apex grow to see how the new arrangement works i gather?
Maybe you end up with both; lowest branch and apex removed in a couple of years.
regards, Sunip

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down