Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Escallonia

4 posters

Go down

Escallonia Empty Escallonia

Post  Peter E. Sun May 08, 2011 8:31 pm

I had the chance to collect some Escallonia from a 40 year old hedge that was being removed.
The first thing that suprised me was that over a 40ft run of hedge there was not a large amount of material worth lifting.
All the trees had nice bark but most were very straight and not of any use for Bonsai.
I collected 4 pieces that i think will make reasonable trees in time.

Escallonia E_1_10

The first is a split trunk Chuhin size.

Escallonia E_2_10

The second a Shohin size piece with some dead wood at the base.

Escallonia E_3_10

This is another Shohin size tree.

Escallonia E_4_10

The last one is the largest.

I am keeping them in a sheltered spot and misting twice a day to help with there survival.

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Escallonia Empty Re: Escallonia

Post  chris Sun May 08, 2011 9:13 pm

Hi Peter,
I am sure you will have some fun with them and with your ability they are going to be great

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Mon May 09, 2011 10:08 am

It's funny how some hedges of the stuff are all poker straight and other twist and turn. I was offered a 40 foot long hedge of the stuff last month but they were all straight and boring and not that heavy either considering the age. At least with heavy ones you can carve character into them clown

My favourite above is the last one. Should be really nice in a few years. thumbs up
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Mon May 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Thanks Chris, Ian.

No 2 and 4 are the keepers. The other two are for swaps when recovered.

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 10, 2011 1:34 am

If there's one thing I'm really starting to learn with regards to Yamadori its this, sculpting bonsai is easy, finding good material to do it with is hard.

I particularly like the last one.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 10, 2011 8:10 am

man on the mountain wrote:If there's one thing I'm really starting to learn with regards to Yamadori its this, sculpting bonsai is easy, finding good material to do it with is hard.

Great bonsai is all about the material...

For the record... Sorry Peter Its got to be said... I would NOT have THIS Escallonia material in my garden it will NOT make great bonsai... I would look for better!

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Tue May 10, 2011 7:13 pm

Tony,

I only said they would make reasonable trees NOT GREAT BONSAI.

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 11, 2011 12:50 am

Hi Peter.

Life is too short for 'reasonable' trees... I know you have great material in your garden... stop wasting time/space/energy and concentrate your efforts, strive to be the best you can, creating the best trees... is this not your aim?

Back to top Go down

Post  Ka Pabling Wed May 11, 2011 1:20 am

tony wrote:
man on the mountain wrote:If there's one thing I'm really starting to learn with regards to Yamadori its this, sculpting bonsai is easy, finding good material to do it with is hard.

Great bonsai is all about the material...

For the record... Sorry Peter Its got to be said... I would NOT have THIS Escallonia material in my garden it will NOT make great bonsai... I would look for better!

AMEN
ka pabling
Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down