Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update

4 posters

Go down

Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update Empty Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update

Post  JimLewis Tue May 03, 2011 4:17 pm

This is a rescue -- from a dried out potted plant left at a property we own. It had been planted in almost pure peat and didn't appear to have been watered for weeks. Pic 1 is from 2009, shortly after it was put into its new pot.

Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update False_11

It looked like this yesterday:

Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update Clump_11

I did some thinning, removed a branch or two, and here it is today:

Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update Clump_12

I'm no fan of clump style bonsai, but there seems to be no other choice with his one.

Suggestions welcomed. Does it need to lose any more branches?

I don't know the species, but it seems to bud back very poorly, so I can't really shorten it much, can I?

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited by JimLewis on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update Empty Re: Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update

Post  Guest Tue May 03, 2011 10:53 pm

Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update Clump_10

Jim

This is crude, but I was thinking go for a multi-trunk rather than a clump and thin out the clutter let me see through the tree 'less is more' kind of thing-but yeah this is a tough one to be sure! But there is potential there I'm sure of it. Good on you for the rescue!

Back to top Go down

Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update Empty Re: Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update

Post  JimLewis Wed May 04, 2011 1:12 pm

Well, I'd thought of that, but it doesn't ring my chimes, either. Chances are if I don't start liking it a bit better than I do currently it will end up "rescued" to the yard somewhere.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Wed May 04, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi Jim
If Chamaecyparis pisifera, not with the growing problem. You need to constantly light between the branches and new buds will grow back in the old wood. But I look more as the Thuja occidentalis Rheingold. It would be a bigger problem with growing.

Gretings Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Wed May 04, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi gang, I was thinking the same Pavel, but I'm a bit shy about crossing Jim, he's a real sharpshooter. I kept looking at the tree with question, my C. pisifera are blue. This Thuja looks more like Jims tree, it's an occidentalis 'Rheingold'. Beautiful recovery on the tree, Jim, and I do like clumps even though they're out of favor.
Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update New_sl10
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed May 04, 2011 2:50 pm

Well, my ID was just a guess. It could well be C.o. 'Rheingold'. It is one of the horticultural colored sports -- which I usually avoid.

I'll look more carefully at this one and see if I can find a two-trunk design in there somewhere, but I really doubt I can get backbudding down the trunks to look like anything.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update Empty Clump update

Post  JimLewis Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:39 pm

I let it grow out some more, then trimmed and wired again. After creating several virtuals, I decided on a narrower shape by eliminating several small lower branches, leaving short jins in some cases. I wired and repositioned several trunks, lowered branches, and plucked and trimmed the foliage.

Chamaecyparis pisifers -- clump style - update 7-11_p10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Muscio Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:50 pm

A definite improvement, Jim! It now looks more like a clump of trees, and less like a landscape shrub. I like it.
Oliver

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down