Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carpinus betulus

+3
Todd Ellis
Seth Ellwood
rickyricardo
7 posters

Go down

Carpinus betulus  Empty Carpinus betulus

Post  rickyricardo Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:36 am

Hi, this is my recently acquired European Hornbeam. I am not familiar with this type tree. I have very good luck with Korean Hornbeam, not sure how similiar. Can anyone give me any tips on this tree.

Thank you.[img]Carpinus betulus  2011_011[/img]

Last edited by rickyricardo on Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix pic)

rickyricardo

Back to top Go down

Carpinus betulus  Empty Re: Carpinus betulus

Post  rickyricardo Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:40 am

[img]Carpinus betulus  2011_012[/img]

rickyricardo

Back to top Go down

Post  rickyricardo Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:43 am

[img]Carpinus betulus  2011_013[/img]

rickyricardo

Back to top Go down

Post  rickyricardo Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:45 am

Last pic was right before repotting. I had to use same "pot" when repotting cause i dont have anything big enough for the tree.

rickyricardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:48 am

Very nice indeed lots of potential and a great nebari .I would think most of the carpinus can be treated in the same fashion. do all the major pruning and carving b4 bud break and feed and water like you have nothing better to do if in proper mix they seem like they back bud profusely.Once you have your base structure prune vigorously for ramification

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:20 am

What a beautiful monster you have!!!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:09 am

I have dreams about finding Yamadori with nebari like that...Dreams! What a wonderful tree, you could definately carve into those trunk chops and create some wonderful trunk interest, this is one of those rare trees that you look at and forget there's branches all you see are trunk and roots..do her proud, check out Graham Potter, he did a you tube video in which he carved the stumps out on a hornbeam like this one, it might give you some ideas.

Back to top Go down

Post  rickyricardo Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:33 am

Thanks everyone. I have heard that they are fast growers, anyone know if this is true. Also, the leaves are fairly large right now, how well do they reduce?

Thanks.............rick

rickyricardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:58 am

I have reduced leaves on american beech (kissing cousin) very well, to at least one third if not a bit more. You should easily be able to do it with your hornbeam, a defoliation maybe next year around jun 1st could be a possibility too If she stays healthy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Maros Belan Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:07 am

Hi Rick,
it is fantastic tree. I have few of them (check my blog). They grow very fast, and they are very strong. Almost no pests as far as I know. Some danger is in their sensitivity on winter storage (I heard ) but my experience (short) during two seasons with temperatures below -20°C are without any loses. I personally think it is one of the best species for bonsai in Europe. Leaves are bigger thats right but when potted into smaller pot later leaves often tend to get much smaller.
I wish you both good luck. Maros
Maros Belan
Maros Belan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:17 am

Hi rickyricardo

I dont know vere you live, and if we are talking bonsai, it can become difficult for everybody to give advise.

This specie will allways have larger leaves, than the oriental type.
I also find , this tree want a big top, if it becomes too small, will it soon become weak.

Kind regards Yvonne...by the way...very nice tree Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  rickyricardo Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:48 pm

Thank you all again. I am sorry Yvonne, I thought that my profile had my location but I just added it. I live in USA, Massachusetts Zone 5B. I will have fun carving this one!

rickyricardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:59 am

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  rickyricardo Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:36 pm

Hello Everyone,

Just an update on European Hornbeam. I just took it out of winter storage today and did some light pruning. Up until now all pruning has been clip and grow. I will be repotting tree into smaller training pot (mica pot) in the next week. I tend to take my time with my trees, mostly because I dont have the time I would like to have to dedicate to bonsai. Nevertheless I do my best to keep on top of things. I think it is coming along nicely. The tree is 13 inches tall, the trunk is 6 inches wide with a 17 inch root spread.
Carpinus betulus  00612
Carpinus betulus  01111

rickyricardo

Back to top Go down

Post  rickyricardo Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:37 pm

Carpinus betulus  01411

For scale:

Carpinus betulus  01810

rickyricardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:04 am

Looking good . I would not put it in to a smaller pot until you are well on your way with the ramification stage it will slow your tree down to a crawl. I would also re wound the cut areas and seal with cut paste to help with callousing. I take a small fine razor blade( Exacto knife) and cut around the cut site to just expose a small amount of green cambium and than seal it.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  hometeamrocker Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:25 am

Looks great! Keep taking your time, it's working in your favor!

Thanks for sharing, keep updates coming.

hometeamrocker

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:34 am

GREAT little tree, love it, thanks for sharing!  Cool 

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:23 pm

Looking very nice, especially the nebari. Keep it in the big pot so that you get your ramification faster. I would also do some major power tool work on those cut sites because they will never heal or at least definitely not our our lifetime. Make them look more natural. Check out Walter Pall and what he does with the big yamadori and how none of his artificial cuts look artificial after a few years. Looking forward to the progress!
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  rickyricardo Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:28 pm

Thanks for looking and thanks for the advice. Will definitely get to work on the carving.

rickyricardo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down