Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tree collection

4 posters

Go down

Tree collection Empty Tree collection

Post  Guest Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Alright I collected this tree which had not yet started to leaf out and I stuffed it into this 2.5 gal. bucket. I removed it from between two fences and it was hugged up next to a Sycamore of immense size. My mother told me that it had been there for years but I wouldn't know exactly how long and when I found it I just had to "save" it. Lol

Here is the link for the tree I have it on my image hosting site.
http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=21417bKEsK&i=11563389

I was wondering, what size of a pot should I put it in? Also how short should the tap root be cut? I believe it has about 6 to 8 inches of tap root on it but has a small feeder root system. I want to buy the pot today and re-pot as soon as possible. It is also put in mostly dirt from my mothers flower bed which is dense and lacking in any porous material. Suggestions as to the mixture I should put in the pot would also be helpful. Also I would appreciate the watering schedule I should put it on to help it survive the summer. Possibly will not do anything to it this year unless you all feel it would help the root system grow better.

The tree is beginning to turn green from being in the sun but I have it under the porch since I dug it up. I don't know what the species is but I suspect possibly a elm of some sort.

Thanks in advance,

Arklady

Back to top Go down

Tree collection Empty Re: Tree collection

Post  zooloo10 Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:05 pm

i would suggest making a "grow box" for the tree. http://ofbonsai.org/techniques/propagation/grow-boxes-and-training-pots i used 1x4 pine planks, and that is what i would suggest getting. but how big is the root ball's diameter, make the training pot about 3 inches bigger than that, on both sides.

zooloo10

Back to top Go down

Tree collection Empty Tree Collection

Post  bonsaisr Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:48 pm

First of all, unless you live in an apartment, don't try to pot the tree at all. Your best bet is to plant it in the ground, in good well-drained flower bed type soil. Plant it in full sun, but if it is starting to leaf out, give it a little temporary shade. Feed heavily and let it grow for this year, except you should prune the top to a single leader.
You need to have it identified. Some trees are not suitable bonsai material. There is a key to all the species of elms that grow in the US on Google. What makes you think it's an elm?
Is this your first bonsai?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:45 am

bonsaisr wrote: What makes you think it's an elm? Is this your first bonsai?
Iris

The bark seems to be different than the sycamore but in any case it will be leafing out soon and I will be able to post a image. Actually I don't have any bonsai, I have trees I am hoping will be bonsai. For now I am trying to learn the best way to keep them alive and work with them. This particular tree was in a horrible place and my mother was determined to kill it. I don't mind having it grow for a year or two life does flow by. I did see a small bud opening so soon there will be a leaf to look at. I will get a picture as soon as I can. My mom said it was but I am just going to wait and see.

Arklady Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:10 pm

Next time you collect, have your plans for what to do with it finished and ready. You should move the ree from the ground to its next home immediately after it is collected. NO delay.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi Arklady,
I feel that your tree might be too young & too straight to give you pleasure for being a bonsai,Iris & Jim has give you good advice,i know how you feel for growing it,but plant it outdoor try air layer the top to give you a bit drama of an older tree.don't be frustrated if you can't find a good tree,we all start from where you're at right now,everyone are still learning from each other,keep on posting and share,there are lots in this forum who are willling to help,Take care
Alex/Ogie
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:12 am

That certianly looks like the back and forth bud placement of an elm but which elm who knows? I have very successfully collected some very girthy and beefy elm stumps that were chopped back from 15-20 foot trees and thrown them into a box with nothing but potting soil and been shocked by the ammount of roots that regrew after only a year! Yet with a tree of that slender build I would stick it in the ground as Iris says and let it grow out its trunk then chop it down in the spring after a few years and start from there..look up the term "trunk chop bonsai" and you'll get the idea. either that or chop it down as a thinner trunk tree like you have there and sculpt a much shorter shohin sized elm.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down