Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

air layering question

3 posters

Go down

air layering question Empty air layering question

Post  FEZ Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:37 pm

I have a trident that is straight as a nail with no taper. Its about two feet tall and I want to air layer into three trees. Is it possible to do the two layerings at once. Or should I just start at the top and work down one at a time? THanks

air layering question Img_2611

FEZ

Back to top Go down

air layering question Empty air layering question

Post  Guest Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:46 pm

Hello Fez. You can perform multiple airlayers on the tree at the same time but if you've not done it before, I would just do one at a time.

Back to top Go down

air layering question Empty Re: air layering question

Post  DreadyKGB Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:09 pm

Fez,
I agree with Will here. Start with the easiest, being one at a time, if you haven't done it before. Many will say that it is not advisable to to perform multiple layers inline on a trunk. I have read and seen photos about this process working very well (I haven't attempted it) but the key is having sufficient foliage between the layers so as to support the root growth below.

I would layer the entire upper section off first leaving yourself the trunk base where you see the first tree. This way you have one tree to begin working on sooner and you can then layer the upper section in half in a season or two. Just my thoughts. Good luck

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  FEZ Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Good idea, this will be my first trident layering. Ill start with one. Thanks for the input.

FEZ

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:07 pm

I agree with Todd, it is inadvisable to have more than one layer in line. Air layering off the top and several branches at the same time is fine though.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down