Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My beautiful plum tree

+9
moyogijohn
Kev Bailey
Ian Young
my nellie
fiona
Tom Benda
Khaimraj Seepersad
Storm
海上闻樵
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My beautiful plum tree - Page 2 Empty Re: My beautiful plum tree

Post  Randy_Davis Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:29 pm

my nellie wrote:
Do you think it is worth while to start from seed? Which is the rate of mume growth (slow, fast)
Thank you!

Alexandra,

The rate of growth of Prunus mume is quite good and will produce a tree in a reasonable timeframe (in bonsai years that is). However, Trees grown from seed are very, very, very slow to start flowering and can take up to 10 years to produce the first flower. If you have the time and patients they are worthwile, but if you can find cutting grown plants they should flower right away. In your zone 9 you may need to supply some supplemental cold during the winter months by putting the tree in a refrigerator to make sure that the tree gets enough cold to satisfy the dormancy requirements. I would give it a try if you have the desire!!!!!!

Randy

Last edited by Randy_Davis on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:
Name changed to - Armeniaca mume
I don't think the name was really changed. Somebody did their homework & found that is the original correct name.
I tried Armeniaca mume once. This was a zaftig (plump & well-developed) seedling close to ten years old. It never bloomed. I finally got rid of it because it couldn't tolerate our Zone 5 inland summers (hot dry wind). No matter what I did, by the end of the summer the leaves were rags. And the true apricot came down with crown gall.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  海上闻樵 Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:34 am

My plum varieties are " gulihong ". Stripping bark of xylem is red, is the most red plum flower color. cheers
海上闻樵
海上闻樵

Back to top Go down

Post  海上闻樵 Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:37 am

The plum blossom is a species of China should not be called " the Japanese apricot ". cheers
海上闻樵
海上闻樵

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Randy, thank you!
Time...? A little younger than you are but I don't think I can wait so long to admire those magnificent flowers...

Kevin, thank you!
I have known Athens as 10 and I have also seen 9b in another map.

Khaimraj, thank you!
Yes, there are plum trees (prunus genus) here, too. But the blossoms have nothing to do with those of prunus mume. And the blossoms are what I would like to enjoy, but it seems I will only admire them in pictures...
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  charlesryder Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:10 pm

I'd really like to see the pic for this mume but it doesn't appear. has it flowered this year ...... ?
charlesryder
charlesryder

Back to top Go down

My beautiful plum tree - Page 2 Empty my beautiful plum tree

Post  moyogijohn Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:16 am

What has happened to the picture ???? can you post a up date ??? thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:39 am

I would also love to see the picture but it doesnt show up.

With regards zones & suitability, I live in zone 10 and currently have Prunus armeniaca, X blireiana, cerasifera 'Nigra', domestica, 'Elvins', dulcis, incisa, mume, persica, persica 'Magnifica', serrulata & subhirtella... all grow & flower well in my climate.

Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2