Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JBP from seed planted in 1945

+4
Karl Thier
Ravi Kiran
Russell Coker
Bob Pressler
8 posters

Go down

JBP from seed planted in 1945 Empty JBP from seed planted in 1945

Post  Bob Pressler Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:55 am

This tree was grown from seed brought back from Japan after WWII. The veteran that planted it died in 1993 and the tree just sat in a 36" by 36" round clay pot. I acquired this tree in 2005. When I got it, it hadn't been transplanted since he died, all the needles were yellow and the candles almost nonexistent. It had been sitting in the back yard of his house which was being rented out. When the daughter went to sell the house she asked me if I would take the tree. I didn't know if it would live or not but I had to try. I'm really glad I did. First thing I did was get it out of the pot it was in and transplanted it. The root ball was a solid mass there was no soil at all. The two branches that were on the left side where branches that were about 4 feet long with just at small amount of needles at the end so I cut them off. The following year the tree was given its initial styling by Kenji Miyata. Since then I've spent the last 3 1/2 years working on building up the strength of the tree. I've gotten quite a bit of back budding and have been able to push the branches back some. The next steps will be working on getting the needles shorter. Its hard to tell now but more than half the needles are much shorter than the rest. JBP from seed planted in 1945 F5e6a6e5

The bark is amazing with big flakes and deep fissures, and the natural shari is going to make creating the jins from the cut off branches very difficult to do and look natural.
JBP from seed planted in 1945 A53b2d26
JBP from seed planted in 1945 0027f156

Just one more to give an idea of size.

JBP from seed planted in 1945 2ad07abc

Next year I plan on Transplanting it into a more deserving pot. I'm open to suggestions on that.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

JBP from seed planted in 1945 Empty Re: JBP from seed planted in 1945

Post  Russell Coker Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:07 am

Wow, Bob, what a treasure you have there!!!! I remember looking at George Yamaguchi's beautiful JBPs and him saying "Thirty years from seed! Plant seed NOW!!!". Well, that was 1984. I guess I should have listened to him. Anyway, I have a nice pot for that tree, I'll PM you my address. Laughing

Just wonderful!

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:16 am

Thanks. I feel privileged to have this tree it is a treasure. I'll look forward to seeing your idea for a pot.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:08 am

I'd love to see a decent, eye-level shot of this tree - and your beautiful pomegranate too.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:27 am

Wow. What a find and legacy Bob. Ant idea how the shari was created? Looks like a mountain tree with rock fall damage.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:40 am

will baddeley wrote:Wow. What a find and legacy Bob. Ant idea how the shari was created? Looks like a mountain tree with rock fall damage.
I'm guessing but it was probably a stake he used to bend and tie the tree. Its been in a container since 1946.
I know that making the jins look as natural is going to be a challenge. I may pick your brains about that when I'm ready Will.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:43 am

Russell Coker wrote:I'd love to see a decent, eye-level shot of this tree - and your beautiful pomegranate too.
I'll see if I can get a better shot tomorrow.

Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:02 am

Very nice tree Bob. The heritage adds to the beauty of the tree. I really loved the natural shari and the flaky bark. Great work....

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Karl Thier Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:49 am

Bob, a wonderful pine, I congratulate you on this tree. thumbs up
Karl Thier
Karl Thier

Back to top Go down

JBP from seed planted in 1945 Empty JBP From seed

Post  moyogijohn Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:39 pm

You have a treasure of a tree!!! my opion only,,I would leave it as close as possible to its natural state..the branches you had to cut i would trim them to the trunk ahd let heal over...refind the needles,,and keep it as close to natural as possible..65 years growing the way it is would be wonderful to me!!!!! please post what you do in the future..a very nice tree with a lot of history....take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:26 pm

Thank you all for the kind words. I'm glad to be able to share it here.
I feel like I've been honored to have this tree. Its one of only 2 trees not for sale at the nursery. When I can no longer care for it I'll probably donate it to one of the major collections either here in CA or Washington, DC. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy it and do my best to make it the bet bonsai it could be. I don't plan on many changes just getting more back buddding so I can push the branches back a bit and the work on the jins. John I've thought about cutting them flush and I probably will with one of them.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:43 pm

Great job Bob bringing back the health of the tree. It is an impressive specimen with an interesting provenance.
Take it slow and good luck with it.

The bark is really cool.

I would go easy on the jins and use a bit of peeling of the wood with the grain and let them decay naturally a bit to give them some age.

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Russell Coker wrote:I'd love to see a decent, eye-level shot of this tree - and your beautiful pomegranate too.
I hope this is better the guys are moving the tree back to its shelf.
JBP from seed planted in 1945 557663a7
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:32 pm

Bob,

Two things I see - and I'm sure the photos magnify this as they are great for bringing out flaws. The low branch on the left is a little long for me. Also, it looks like the tree is falling over backwards. This can easily be fixed by bringing down the tips of the front branches. This isn't something you really notice when viewed the other way, but it really shows up at eye level. I tend to the the same thing, style from above, and really have to make myself sit in front of my trees at eye level to double check myself.

What a beautiful pine!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi Bob

Very beautiful pines, with a history. I look forward to the future of the tree. I think that a small change, as Russell wrote the tree good. ThumbsUp

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:05 pm

Russell Coker wrote:Bob,

Two things I see - and I'm sure the photos magnify this as they are great for bringing out flaws. The low branch on the left is a little long for me. Also, it looks like the tree is falling over backwards. This can easily be fixed by bringing down the tips of the front branches. This isn't something you really notice when viewed the other way, but it really shows up at eye level. I tend to the the same thing, style from above, and really have to make myself sit in front of my trees at eye level to double check myself.

What a beautiful pine!
Didn't see it until you mentioned it, but now that you did I do. Thanks. The branch on the left is still in need of a little more back budding, so I'm keeping it for now. Most likely when I pull needles next fall, I'll able to shorten it.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  ndleong Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:39 am

Wow what a nice treasure.. is always not easy to deal with treasure. IMHO not to do any drastic adjustment on the tree & lets the current form prevail.
ndleong
ndleong

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:43 am

Hi Bob ,
Russel was bang on the dot when he pointed out that the lower left branch was a little too long for comfort. I fully agree. Having said that the solution IMHO does not lie in shortening the lower left branch but rather in dealing with the negative space just above it. Should you allow a branch to grow into this space or bend a branch to fill this negative space, it would look much better like in the pic below. What do you think???
JBP from seed planted in 1945 55766310

Regards
Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:50 pm

Ravi its hard to tell in the photo but there is a branch in the back that needs to grow more, than it can be moved to fill some of that space. I won't graft a branch on so it's a game of waiting to see where the buds decide to grow and then letting them grow. I'm in no hurry with this tree and I'm definitely please with how much it has improved. This tree has so much character that I don't mind a few defects. The pictures really don't do it justice.
ndleong you're right it is a treasure and don't worry I won't be making any drastic changes.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down