Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gmelina Hystrix

3 posters

Go down

Gmelina Hystrix Empty Gmelina Hystrix

Post  Mohan Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:16 am

Gmelina Hystrix Gmelin10

Hi IBC,
My 14 years young Gmelina Hystrix, stands (rather leans) 18 inches tall and is 21 inches broad. Am making efforts to give some movement to the straight portion in the upper half of the trunk.
Suggestions and comments will be appreciated.

Regards,
Mohan.

Mohan

Back to top Go down

Gmelina Hystrix Empty Re: Gmelina Hystrix

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:10 am

Mohan,

gmelina responds very well to simple clip and grow. If something is too straight, it can be pruned shorter.

What do you envision down the road for this shrub?
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:34 am

Hi.
IMHO the branch going to the apex doesn't seem to go with the flow of the slanted trunk. If it were mine I'll cut it near the trunk and form a new apex that can follow the slanted form.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mohan Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi Khaimraj and Jun,

Appreciate your comments and suggestions. Thanks.

Regards,

Mohan.

Mohan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mohan Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:24 am

Hi IBC,
Feel that if the Members could post pics of their Gmelina Hystrix, it will contribute greatly to a learning experience. Comparative study of all the specimens in one thread will visually highlight the characteristics and capabilities of the species leading to possible design solutions for it. Idea Thanks.

Regards,

Mohan.

Mohan

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:31 am

Mohan,

I have a few, and in the topic - Tropical - defoliation, all those Mame are also gmelina.
It's a bit wet today, so I may not get a chance, but I will post for you to see.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:27 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Mohan,

I have a few, and in the topic - Tropical - defoliation, all those Mame are also gmelina.
It's a bit wet today, so I may not get a chance, but I will post for you to see.
Khaimraj
Of course you do. I am blown away by the fact you have at least a few of any given type of tree, hahaha.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Mohan Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:43 am

Hi Khaimraj,
Thanks. I had seen your group of beautiful defoliated Shohin Gmelinas presented in the thread Tropical - defoliation, confirming the suitability of the species for that. Eagerly await the additional pics.

It would be nice if other Members of the IBC post their Gmelinas to complete the picture.
Regards, cheers

Mohan.

Mohan

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:11 am

Mohan,

a beginning -

The quality of the Gmelina - in memory of Mr. John Yip Young [ died Feb.2011 ] - one of the founding
fathers of Bonsai in Trinidad [ the others are Mr. John Fung Yew and Mr. Johnny Lee - John is a very popular name for Chinese men by the way - My grandfather was also a John - wonder what John sounds like in Chinese - Penjing / Bonsai in Trinidad is supposed to be somewhere around the late 1800's with the arrival of the Chinese immigrants ]

http://www.trinibay.net/?q=node/217

I have no connection to this page or business.
Enjoy.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Okay Mohan,

here are 2 examples.
[a] First is from either seed or cutting and is about 28 years of so old.
Second is perhaps 12 or so years old from a cutting from the first.

Please note after I re-pot, I wait a month and then defoliate to change the old leaves. If it is going to exhibit about 2 months before the show I defoliate a second time. The leaves reduce to 1/3 the size.

The properties of the gmelina are,

[1] Leaf dense, but not branchlet dense.
[2] Has great surface roots if the design needs it.
[3] With age a strange sort of bark cracking.

So I imagined a tree with domes on domes [ upside down bowl ] and like a pine, few but very thick branches. Tree gives a great sense of volume.

[4] This shrub also has two leaf shapes, diamond and frog foot. Plant is called by the Chinese - the indoor maple.
[ I am leaving this for those new to gmelina or newly exposed to the shrub.]
Khaimraj

Heh heh Jesse ------ that's why you grow around 200 trees to begin, lot's of choices. Dare you Laughing

Placement is full sun. Easy shrub to grow.

1st tree - front

Gmelina Hystrix Mohan_10

The design -

Gmelina Hystrix Scan13

The side -

Gmelina Hystrix Mohan_11

The back -

Gmelina Hystrix Mohan_12

The second tree - no drawn design, I haven't decided what I want as of yet.

Gmelina Hystrix Mohan_13

Last edited by Khaimraj Seepersad on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Mohan Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:53 pm

Hi Khaimraj,
Thank you very much for the detailed information on Gmelina. I am sure that the write-up must have created a lot of interest in Gmelina, amongst IBC Members.
Your 1st Gmelina is a very good mature specimen of the species and the 2nd shows a lot of promise. Thank you again for sharing.

Regards, cheers

Mohan.

Mohan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:04 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:

Heh heh Jesse ------ that's why you grow around 200 trees to begin, lot's of choices. Dare you Laughing

"...around 200 trees to begin" How many would you guess you have now? We only live on .28 of an acre Sad Not sure where I can field grow anywhere close to as many as you seem to. I am getting close to wiping out a chunk of our landscaped backyard to be used for bonsai purposes, haha. I have a daughter who is 3 and a 6 month old little boy who need play area though. How to balance things out...might need to take over the backyard all together and send them to play at the park nearby scratch

I absolutely the first tree you posted.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:26 pm

Mohan,

your most welcome and that's the last you will seeing of my gmelinas as I am continuing on with the training.

Jesse,

Care to share a few memories ?
I used to live in Lafayette. Lousiana, and at that time all I had to use was the red cedar porch space. Though we had a large actual backyard, it was at the time a rented house, so --- no digger de lawn.

Working with children, is simple, just choose the spot you need and fence it. Here at home, mom had her untouchables, and all it took was a no, or I will tan your hide, and the shrubs became untouchable.
We also had a habit of running through the house and also got the, touch my ornaments and I will tan your hide.
We broke nothing.

From the time we could walk, until we could play unsupervised, we had a nanny, so we learnt very quickly to respect other peoples' property.

Before you go thinking we were prisoners, note we also had permission to set up bed sheet tents on the lawn and built forts from the morris chair cushions on cleaning days [ about once a month.] and a slip and slide on the old linoleum from the washroom also on the lawn.
My parents were strict, but could be wacky.
Thanks for looking.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Mohan Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:11 am

Hi Kahaimraj,

You have stated “Leaf dense but not branchlet dense".
Since the Gmelina does not ramify well despite defoliation, has grafting of branches been attempted and with what success? Question

Regards,

Mohan.

Mohan

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:21 am

Mohan,

I study the properties of trees, what makes them special, what drew your eye to the plant. With leaf density, you can create an effect similar to say, a mango tree, when seen at a 45 deg. angle, morning or evening light.
On our side, gmelina is a hedge shrub, and any shape goes.

That said, no I haven't, but at the same time I wouldn't need to.

Why not try and see what happens.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:47 pm

With regards to leaf dense, just in case anyone is confused. I will try to clarify.

Example -
http://www.travelpod.com/travel-photo/bronwen/africa/1139329560/06_mango_tree.jpg/tpod.html

Dark zones, shadows created by the leaf masses. You have to do --- to fully understand and appreciate.
[If you are going to claim it is sculpture, you have to think like a sculptor - leaf masses.]

Drawn diagram, which loosely follows the light and shadow pattern of the tree. Using the abundant leaves of the gmelina, you grow a simple branch seen in the lower section, and add just a few branchlets, the v's and use the leaf mass to create the mound, just follow the arrows.

No need to try and genetically change the gmelina, simply use it's natural properties.
Questions?
I will try to explain.
Khaimraj

Gmelina Hystrix Mango10
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Mohan Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:10 am

Hi Khaimraj,

Thanks for the input. cheers

Regards,