Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rose as bonsai

+7
landerloos
moyogijohn
JimLewis
Kev Bailey
my nellie
Bob Bailey
Bonsai4life
11 posters

Go down

Rose as bonsai Empty Rose as bonsai

Post  Bonsai4life Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:39 am

I think this is rather dumb question, but Can roses (regular roses, not dessert rose) become a Bonsai??

confused Very Happy

Bonsai4life

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Bailey Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:13 am

In a short answer yes. I currantly have a Mame Japanese wild rose 9cm tall with 5 cm nebari,lovely flowers in the summer and beautiful autumn leaf colour. Also Peter Warren displayed a beautiful shohin wild rose in last years BSA show at Willowbog.

Bob Bailey

Back to top Go down

Rose as bonsai Empty Re: Rose as bonsai

Post  my nellie Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:39 am

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t1126-rose-bonsai&usg=__rhDSvhrnnVB-

I think that I have read that the leaves do not become smaller. So do the flowers.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:39 am

Choose a miniature variety with smaller leaves and flowers. They are regularly available at large supermarkets and some are left over after Valentines day here in the UK. I got a pot with three plants in, dirt cheap and they have delightful deep red small flowers. Will grow them on in the ground for a few years to thicken. They are easy to root from cuttings too.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:54 pm

Here's what can be done . . . even on a small scale:

http://www.mini-bonsai.com/hyousie/4_list_msg.html

http://www.mini-bonsai.com/hyousie/2_list_msg.html

I wish I could put the pictures themselves here . . . but copyright . . .
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:24 pm

Bob Bailey wrote:In a short answer yes. I currantly have a Mame Japanese wild rose 9cm tall with 5 cm nebari,lovely flowers in the summer and beautiful autumn leaf colour. Also Peter Warren displayed a beautiful shohin wild rose in last years BSA show at Willowbog.

Hello Bob. Would love to see some photos of yours. Is it possible to collect Rosa rubiginosa from the wild? I would be interested in giving it a go.

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonsai4life Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:34 pm

Thank you guys for the info. i target is a rose bush thats about 20yrs old at my grandma's house, it has a 5-6 in nebari, then taper to 1-2 in within 8 in, it barely push out buds, can i collect it? confused

Bonsai4life

Back to top Go down

Rose as bonsai Empty rose as bonsai

Post  moyogijohn Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:10 am

I also picked one up at a near by nursery..it is suppose to be a dawrf one.. mine is small but to me has a nice trunk..try one and maybe we can post pictures in the spring..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonsai4life Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:23 am

Ill try to convince my grandma to let me dig it up, Smile, that tree was planted by my late grandpa.

Bonsai4life

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:32 am

Bonsai4life wrote:Ill try to convince my grandma to let me dig it up, Smile, that tree was planted by my late grandpa.

A fitting tribute. I like it. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonsai4life Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:36 am

i think make the tree into a bonsai is a better way to remember my grandpa then left it in the ground. Very Happy

Bonsai4life

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Bailey Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:14 am

Hi Will
At the moment the rose is fully wired and very bare, leaf buds are just starting to break so I hope to de-wire and display it at the BSA show at Willowbog in March,will post pics then.
Bob
P.S. are you coming to Swindon Sunday?

Bob Bailey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:57 am

Hello Bob. I can't make it to Swindon as I'm working. Few club workshops and demo's coming up and back to Denmark soon as well. Hope to catch you at BoB though. Do you think Dog rose would transplant from the wild? I'd love to give it a go.

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:03 am

will baddeley wrote:Hello Bob. I can't make it to Swindon as I'm working. Few club workshops and demo's coming up and back to Denmark soon as well. Hope to catch you at BoB though. Do you think Dog rose would transplant from the wild? I'd love to give it a go.

Hi Will,

give it a go, roses are not very rootbound and produce new roots from the mainroot quiet easely.
Keep it damp and shaded and warm after digging.
I dont have one yet, but I am a former rosegardner (greenhouse)

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Landis Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:32 pm

I dug a rater large rose bush (Hybrid type) from the landscape 1.5 years ago with very few roots and it has done well. Potted pretty deep it in a rather coarse mix in a 5 gallon container. Will repot into a slightly smaller container this spring.
Paul Landis
Paul Landis

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:19 pm

Bonsai4life wrote:i think make the tree into a bonsai is a better way to remember my grandpa then left it in the ground. Very Happy

Indeed. And you could grow some cuttings from it to replant into the ground to continue his legacy.
Best, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonsai4life Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Do i have to take a lot of root with it, is it easy rooting?

Bonsai4life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:43 pm

Most roses are very forgiving and will grow away well if you just collect the main roots with very little fibrous root attached. That is how all the major rose sellers send their bare root varieties in spring. Just make sure that they don't dry out after collection.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:51 pm

I found a very nice fat tapered rose trunk at the side of the house. Decided to dig it up and have a go but it has not been very rewarding. I think the main problem is fungus. As I had fungus issues with other trees last season it got sprayed alot and was the best I had seen it. When I read that Fat rose trunks are unusual I thought I better put more effort into it but with less spraying this year (maybe drying out a little too much as well) It has again been a disappointing season for it. Tried to take a pic but have to wait for batteries to charge Neutral

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Rose as bonsai Empty Rose as Bonsai

Post  Bob Bailey Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:02 am

One piece of advice I have been given from a friend.He met Mr Akimoto in Japan last november and Mr Akimoto told him that Rose lose their vigour very quickly and MUST be repotted every year to ensure their survival. Food for thought.
Bob

Bob Bailey

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonsai4life Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:24 am

does rose like free draining soil or heavy on organic?

Bonsai4life

Back to top Go down

Post  creekfield Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:59 am

I dig it up after 13 years under the ground.

Rose as bonsai Img_1612

creekfield

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down