Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One of my elms

+6
hirow08
Ravi Kiran
Dustin Mann
JimLewis
Rob Kempinski
DaveV.
10 posters

Go down

One of my elms Empty One of my elms

Post  DaveV. Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:49 pm

This is an elm that my wife gave to me for Fathers Day in 2006. The first photo is what it looked like when purchased.

This is the way it looked in June of 2006 when I received it.
One of my elms P3210012

After three years of growth and only pruning. At this time I was not sure what I was going to do with it.
One of my elms 000_0111

It was getting too big for by winter storage area. In the winter of 2010 I pruned off severl large branches and pulled the remaining branches down with guy wires. In the process of pruning off large branches I had an idea of where I wanted to go with the tree. This is what it looked like in the summer of 2010
One of my elms 101_0211

This is the tree in autum of 2010
One of my elms 101_0311

Any thoughts/suggestions on how to improve the tree ?

Thank you

DaveV.

Last edited by DaveV. on Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:16 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : could not upload pics)

DaveV.

Back to top Go down

One of my elms Empty Re: One of my elms

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi. This is a very very nice tree. although some branch reduction near the top portion of the trunk will give the tree a neat look.

to the mods: Is there something wrong with the posting of photos? seems that the right portion of the pictures were not copied, same thing happened with my posts thats why I got to adjust the angle of my camera to the left to get the whole tree posted on the screen.

regards,
jun
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:53 pm

It has potential. I'd carefully examine branch taper and give it a hard but back to improve taper and branch placement.

jun wrote:

to the mods: Is there something wrong with the posting of photos? seems that the right portion of the pictures were not copied, same thing happened with my posts thats why I got to adjust the angle of my camera to the left to get the whole tree posted on the screen.

regards,
jun
Smile

Jun,
That happens to me sometimes and I have to restart my browser. Not sure if it s a cache problem or what.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:58 pm

to the mods: Is there something wrong with the posting of photos? seems
that the right portion of the pictures were not copied, same thing
happened with my posts thats why I got to adjust the angle of my camera
to the left to get the whole tree posted on the screen.

It has to do with how you have set up your machine -- screen resolution, image/text size, etc. If you're just seeing it, perhaps some of your settings in whatever browser you use have been changed.

Often, clicking on the image will give you the full monty <g>.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Dustin Mann Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:02 pm

The tree has remained very healthy which is a huge factor in Chinese elms after 5yrs.What is that area in bottom front(a sprout..or is front branch tied down?0 I would remove that so better able to see line of trunk. In the initial photo I like the open feeling and see thru the tree(as they say so birds can fly thru) Present photo shows how primary branches have thickened and the tie downs. I am not sure flat tight branch pads is the way to go in the design. If your primary branches are pulled down then I would create open secondary branchlets that resemble spread fingers on hand by wire moving them up-forward-back. That way they each will look like small tree. You will have to go in and shorten sub-branching so they will taper. Maybe s/o out there can respond w/virtual Dustin Mann Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Dustin Mann

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:04 pm

Hi Dave,

A very nice transformation of what WAS a dull looking tree. Its excellent the way you have styled this tree. I'd say that the tree has arrived so hold on to it... You can't improve perfection Wink

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  hirow08 Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:19 pm

jun wrote:to the mods: Is there something wrong with the posting of photos? seems that the right portion of the pictures were not copied, same thing happened with my posts thats why I got to adjust the angle of my camera to the left to get the whole tree posted on the screen.

regards,
jun
Smile

Hi sir Jun. Try pressing the ctrl key and - at the same time to reduce browser setting resolution?

hth

hirow08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:11 pm

hirow08 wrote:
jun wrote:to the mods: Is there something wrong with the posting of photos? seems that the right portion of the pictures were not copied, same thing happened with my posts thats why I got to adjust the angle of my camera to the left to get the whole tree posted on the screen.

regards,
jun
Smile

Hi sir Jun. Try pressing the ctrl key and - at the same time to reduce browser setting resolution?

hth

Thanks Hirow!
I love typewriter, hand written love letters delivered by a mailman, and developed film photos...hehehe.

regards,
jun Embarassed

Back to top Go down

One of my elms Empty one of my elms

Post  moyogijohn Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:25 pm

Dave I see a very good tree!! i don,t know if i would do anything to it except keep it trimmed..the trunk looks so good...i love elms!! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveV. Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:03 am

Thanks everyone for the input and advice.

Dustin, there is no sprout from the base. What you are seeing are the leaves from a front branch. Why is it that you feel chinese elms loose their health after five years? Maybe I misunderstood what you are trying to say.

Sincerely,

DaveV.

DaveV.

Back to top Go down

Post  tylerwashere Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:46 am

wow, that tree is definitely magnificent, especially with the autumn leaves. very nice!

tylerwashere

Back to top Go down

One of my elms Empty maybe

Post  guy ward Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:28 am

maybe remove that front branch a repot a little deeper

guy ward

Back to top Go down

Post  Brett Summers Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:53 pm

I love this elm. It is not far off being an absolute stunner. I would look at minimising top growth to ramify the bottom branches. You have done such a great job so far but maybe some hands on instruction will take it to the next level.

Brett Summers

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down