Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bald Ficus

+2
JimLewis
bonsaisr
6 posters

Go down

Bald Ficus Empty Bald Ficus

Post  bonsaisr Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:25 pm

Last month at a blind auction, I acquired a big zaftig Green Island fig (F. microcarpa). Of course since then it has been under fluorescent lights (four tubes), jammed right under the tubes. It isn't my conditions; I have several other figs that are doing fine, including a tiger bark (same species).
I think the problem is that this tree was not from anyone's private collection. It was purchased at a florist, so it came from a commercial greenhouse, probably in Florida.
The tree is rapidly defoliating. In a few days it will be completely naked. What to do? Should I try to give or loan it to someone with a greenhouse? Is it likely to die, or will it just go dormant & recover in the spring? Would it help to put a baggie over it?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Bald Ficus Empty Re: Bald Ficus

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:30 pm

I don't think I'd worry. Figs can be temperamental. You might check out the roots, but otherwise, I'd bet it will re-leaf in the spring -- or sooner.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:22 pm

I would make sure that it has good drainage and that it isn't too wet, it should come back.

It has been pointed out to me that it gets COLD in upstate NY and a Ficus could be damage just going from a building to a car.

Last edited by Billy M. Rhodes on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added information)
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Bald Ficus Empty Bald Ficus

Post  bonsaisr Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:
It has been pointed out to me that it gets COLD in upstate NY and a Ficus could be damaged just going from a building to a car.
Those of us who live here are careful to start the car in advance & cover tropicals in transit. Besides, the auction was a month ago, & signs of cold damage would have been much sooner. This is due primarily to prolonged lack of light. I am not seeing the leaf spotting that is a sign of root rot.

Thanks for the encouragement. I will keep it on the dry side & repot it in the spring.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Bald Ficus Empty Ficus help

Post  mandoman Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:43 pm

It looks like a good plant. Put it over a humidity tray as they like a humid environment. This is the best thing short of a greenhouse. Best of luck and keep us posted.
mandoman
mandoman

Back to top Go down

Bald Ficus Empty Bald Ficus Help

Post  bonsaisr Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:29 am

Sorry, humidity trays are a widespread myth. I have my Ficus & other tropical bonsai in an enclosed plant room with three humidifiers. I have my two mame willow leaf figs in baggies, but the room humidity is adequate for a buttonwood and some nias. I think the issue is inadequate light following a transition from a Florida greenhouse.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Dustin Mann Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:32 pm

There is always the possibility that it came from Florida with eggs of that Ficus whitefly, that when temps go up just defoliates immediately. Another possibility was black spot. You have been growing your trees successfully far too long for it to be envirnmental condition in your home. Shabat Shalom Dustin

Dustin Mann

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:34 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. There is no sign of whiteflies or blackspot. The leaves just turn yellow & absciss. Far from being wet, the soil keeps getting very dry. I still think it is an environmental issue. If it survives the winter until I can style & repot it, it should be fine.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:11 pm

Indeed. For more information, go here.
http://www.figweb.org/
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:14 pm

I think part of the problem is that the Ficus is potted in Portland cement. It looks bad. Sad
I have the perfect pot for it, except it is presently occupied by a juniper (J. squamata 'Prostrata'). pale
The juniper is in my sunporch, which has been hovering between just above & just below freezing. If I don't disturb the roots, can I safely repot the juniper right away?
Reminder: I am in Zone 5, so normal repotting season for a juniper is 6 weeks away.
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change in situation.)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:41 pm

This is a question about the juniper. I would like to use its pot for the ficus. A bonsai nursery not too far from here doesn't have any unglazed pots I can use, but it has a lot of glazed pots the right size. Would I be permitted to put a cascade juniper in a glazed pot, as long as it is a dark color?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:18 am

You have my permission.

Libby Wink

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:23 am

I had to take action because the tree was dying. I slipped my juniper into a plastic pot temporarily without disturbing the roots.
The Ficus turned out to be not only potted in unsuitable potting soil, but to be not a tree but a rooted cutting. There are no large roots at all; what a mallsai!
The pot is a nice Nick Lenz semi-cascade pot. I potted it in my coarse home-made conifer mix, mainly aquarium gravel, chopped bark, and expanded shale. I use a top-dressing of regular mix for appearance & growing moss. Now I have it in a baggie, back under the lights.
If I am sure it is going to live, I will post a picture. You see enough of the dead & dying.
If anyone wants more information about expanded shale, let me know.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:37 pm

The Experts were right. Figs are tough, and 'Green Island' must be one of the toughest. After I repotted it, nothing happened. There was a bare trunk. Most of the branches were dead. There were three leafless branches with greenish tips hanging on. I said a Misheberach, stuck it on a windowsill in the guest room (heat off), and watered it about once a week.
Meanwhile, I tried to get a refund or replacement. I told the club about it, but didn't ask for anything (I try to be a Good Sport).
The tree came with a tag from the florist that had the store name & "Bonsai." No other information. Here's the weird part. I called the florist, but the manager swore his store sells only artificial plants for the past 20 years. They haven't even sold artificial bonsai for years. He had no idea where the pirated tag came from.
Then the other day, Low and Bee Holed (as Pogo would say). One of the branches is Growing New Leaves. cheers The other two branches look more alive. If it continues to wake up, I will post a picture.
I don't know what I can do about styling. The trunk is made of iron. I can't tell yet how far back the tip has died. We shall see.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:13 pm

Administrators: You might want to move this thread to Bonsai Questions, as there is no further question of disease & I might need styling help.
In our last thrilling episode, the tree was starting to recover & I had it under lights in a nice Nick Lenz pot, on a pile of overturned pots. As luck would have it, the whole thing fell over and the pot broke. Sad
I went to the nursery nearby & searched high & low online, & couldn't find a suitable affordable pot. Finally I bought one from a potter buddy of mine near Utica.

Bald Ficus Img_0110

This is what it looks like now, with two original live branches. It will be going outdoors in a few weeks. I wired the leader to follow the original intended line. I didn't know what to do with the extra branch on top, so I kept it for a secondary line. I can always cut it off later. The two new branches near the ground will be kept for now to fatten the base, and in case I need a thread graft. I cut off the dead part. The stub will be trimmed after the leader gets fatter and stronger.

Here is the back view.

Bald Ficus Img_0111

According to background information, 'Green Island' is a spreading ground cover cultivar, & recommended in Florida for foundation planting. I found numerous encouraging pictures online of it used as a cascade or semi-cascade.
As always, suggestions are welcome.
Happy Easter,
sunny
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:15 am

According to background information, 'Green Island' is a spreading ground cover cultivar, & recommended in Florida for foundation planting.

I have never heard that.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:39 am

From "Ficus for the Landscape" By Derek Burch.
<<Green Island tends to spread out sideways and is easy to train as a ground-hugging shrub clinging closely to rocks, across a bed, or even trailing down a wall.>>
I don't think a short quote violates the copyright.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:49 am

Hmm. scratch Go here:http://www.horticulturist.com/mastermag10/ficus.html
The picture with this article shows leaves without a point. Another picture of Green Island is the same. I was told that mine is Green Island, but some of my leaves have a slight point. Could be from growing under lights, or juvenile regrowth. I'll see what it looks like outdoors. There are many varieties & cultivars of F. microcarpa, & they could easily get mixed up. I'm open to ID opinions.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Bald Ficus Empty Bald Ficus with Comb-over

Post  bonsaisr Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:25 am

As the experts promised, now that it has recovered, it is growing like mad. The leader is styling itself in the lazy s that is usually desirable. Any further design suggestions welcome.
I have also seen several pictures of 'Green Island' exactly like mine, some leaves very round & others with a faint point. It may be a cultural variation, or a variation from taking cuttings from cuttings from cuttings. That eventually disturbs the chromosomes.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Bald Ficus Empty Bald Ficus with Comb-over

Post  bonsaisr Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:13 pm

I trimmed the die-back and covered it with cut paste. The tree is growing slowly outdoors. Since I have too many trees and plans for a few more, affraid I am selling it at the Mohawk Valley auction.
End of topic.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down