Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy Red Crape Myrtles at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh.

4 posters

Go down

Fantasy Red Crape Myrtles at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh. Empty Fantasy Red Crape Myrtles at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh.

Post  Sam Ogranaja Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:21 pm

I thought you'd enjoy that Nebari. Smile

Fantasy Red Crape Myrtles at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh. Photo_10

Fantasy Red Crape Myrtles at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh. Photo_11

Fantasy Red Crape Myrtles at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh. Photo_12
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Red Crape Myrtles at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh. Empty Re: Fantasy Red Crape Myrtles at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh.

Post  Sam Ogranaja Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:22 pm

Fantasy Red Crape Myrtles at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh. Photo_14

Fantasy Red Crape Myrtles at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh. Photo_15

Fantasy Red Crape Myrtles at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh. Photo_16
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Fantasy Red Crape Myrtles at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh. Empty Re: Fantasy Red Crape Myrtles at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh.

Post  JimLewis Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:16 pm

The sideways ones give me a crick in the neck, but yes, I do enjoy those bases. I like the bark patterns, too. Do you know the cultivar name?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:20 pm

The colours are amazing.

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:35 pm

Do Lagerstroemias grow so much?!?!?! Shocked
Amazing!!!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:37 pm

I dont know the cultivar name actually. I can find out. I'm hoping to take some cuttings in the spring. These are the largest and oldest "fantasy red" crape myrtles growing outside of Japan. According to the arboretum anyway. The bark is amazing. These pictures were taken with a camera phone and they don't do it justice. here's another picture i found.

Fantasy Red Crape Myrtles at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh. Plant-10[b]
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:17 pm

This is actually Lagerstroemia fauriei 'Fantasy'. It's different from the old fashioned L. indicas that are planted throughout the South. The species fauriei is much larger and faster growing than the indicas and produces small clumps of white flowers, but tons of them. They were actually crossed with the indicas by the USDA to produce hybrids like 'Natchez', and others named after Native American tribes. 'Natchez' looks much more like its fauriei parent.

'Fantasy' is the name of this particular selection of L. fauriei. Largest in the US? There are some very old ones on the campus of Mississippi State University, as well as the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. There are some really big ones here in Mobile too, but I've never compared them to anything.

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:11 pm

Russell Coker wrote: Largest in the US? There are some very old ones on the campus of Mississippi State University, as well as the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. There are some really big ones here in Mobile too, but I've never compared them to anything.

Russell

I was wondering about that myself. According to the NCSU website these were planted in the 1950's from seed. I can't wait to go get cuttings. They encourage people to come and get cuttings of any plant they have. These are really impressive in person. They're beautiful trees.

Happy Holidays
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:52 pm

Sam,

If you look around you may find some seedlings in the beds nearby, if they aren't mulched too heavily. They should also have plenty of seed capsules on them now - if you can reach them.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down