Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Of British 'The Trees'

+13
Les S
Jarod K
Geof
rock
Bob Brunt
Rob Kempinski
casper
bigsteve
RyanFrye
Kev Bailey
Stone Monkey
Lee Kennedy
bob hill
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Best Of British 'The Trees' - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Of British 'The Trees'

Post  Guest Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:48 pm

Les S wrote: why are table makers not mentioned in bonsai show

I have championed Duggs Tables and indeed commisioned one of the first he made, I own two and will be commisioning another in a couple of months. In Fact for me the best single Item in the show was one of Duggs tables... (the one under Ian Stewardsons Juniper.. second image on this post)...

BUT... I really think that labelling at Bonsai Shows has already gone too far, Tree, style, owner, artist, style, pot by, years in training, origin... and now Table! I am happy with NO LABEL just a number and maybe a list displayed nearby... and let the display speak for itself without the clutter, If I want to know who made the pot or table whatever I can refer to the list or simply ask someone... why does it always need to be spelled out. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Walker Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:05 am

Tony wrote:BUT... I really think that labelling at Bonsai Shows has already gone too far, Tree, style, owner, artist, style, pot by, years in training, origin... and now Table! I am happy with NO LABEL just a number and maybe a list displayed nearby... and let the display speak for itself without the clutter, If I want to know who made the pot or table whatever I can refer to the list or simply ask someone... why does it always need to be spelled out.
Regarding display furniture, most of the time we do not know who made the stands. Most of the time the best one could do on the ID would be to know the country of origin.
I agree with Tony that we can overdo the labeling, but the primary function of an exhibit is usually educational in nature. The distribution of a reference list associated with a bonsai's number or letter is often a practical way to try to get the best of both worlds. It removes the signage clutter from the display, yet it meets the educational/informational needs of the viewing public.
Alan Walker
Alan Walker

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:06 am

Tony

I think you may be right a "list" sounds like a good idea Cool

Best regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Best Of British 'The Trees' - Page 2 Empty best of british

Post  alex e Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:49 am

Yo Lee, your tree looked really elegant on the day,it was one of my
favourites Cool it was good meeting up with you guys lol! when are we gonna
do some work to-gether Cool

all the best Alex e
alex e
alex e

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:21 am

alex e wrote:Yo Lee, your tree looked really elegant on the day,it was one of my

all the best Alex e

Hi Alex, hope you did not mind me targeting you to help with Marc on Sunday?

Back to top Go down

Post  alex e Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:58 am

Hi Tony,
Did,nt mind at all Cool any time just wished you had roped me in earlier
I love it ,wish I could do more ,we might even have finished
the wiring completely, any photos of finished result.

take care best regards Alex e
alex e
alex e

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:58 pm

This post is a little late, but I think I found a scroll that would work with the "octo-pine" in the future.
http://www.susannebarrymorescrolls.com/category/Hanging_Oriental_Scroll_Gallery/c21p2
Look at the second scroll down on the right of the page. Susanne's work is really nice.
-PT
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:48 pm

alex e wrote:Yo Lee, your tree looked really elegant on the day,it was one of my

all the best Alex e
Thanks a lot Alex,it was amazing to have my cheap tree in between 2 of the best tree's in europe,and it didnt look to bad either which was a bonus!
The best things about this show were very few thought it could be pulled off due to the internal politics and strife,well there now proved totally wrong this show was a resounding sucsess hell it even made money for the national collection!
and the 2nd important thing is what Alex says here,it was great meeting up making new friends seeing old ones,and lets work together for a brighter bonsai future on our little island!
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  alex e Fri May 01, 2009 9:53 am

" SPOT ON" Lee,your tree was not about how much it cost, its size or anything else No its about the quality of the work put in to produce it, money can buy lots of
things BONSAI INCLUDED!!!!!! but not talent thats a gift [ thats £20 you owe me ]
lol!

Alex e
alex e
alex e

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri May 01, 2009 9:21 pm

prestontolbert wrote:This post is a little late, but I think I found a scroll that would work with the "octo-pine" in the future.
http://www.susannebarrymorescrolls.com/category/Hanging_Oriental_Scroll_Gallery/c21p2
Look at the second scroll down on the right of the page. Susanne's work is really nice.
-PT

Forget the scroll, I think a poster from Alien Vs Predator would suit it better.

http://www.impawards.com/2004/alien_vs_predator_ver1.html
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2