Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chinese elm

4 posters

Go down

chinese elm Empty chinese elm

Post  jason Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:02 pm

HI Everyone,im new to bonsai and have just aquired a 5yr old chinese elm,whilst i have done a lot of research on this type of tree i am still a bit dubious about undertaking some basic maintenence ie pruning/wiring and general care,due to a lot of conflicting opinions, not that this was unexpected or that i believe any of them were wrong as such,but i dont want to just do the first thing i hear and get it all wrong,I live in enland so its very cold at the moment so the tree is indoors and if possible will be from now on.as for the watering i think ive got that covered but as for the rest im slightly unsure. At the minute i cant upload any photos (Sorry if this doesnt help).But any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

jason

Back to top Go down

chinese elm Empty Re: chinese elm

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:10 pm

Welcome once more to the IBC Jason.

Odd as it may seem, watering is probably the most difficult thing to get right at first. Only water when the compost is drying out. You can test this by inserting a bamboo chopstick or ice lolly stick down in the side of the pot. Only water when it comes out nearly dry to the touch. Overwatering kills trees almost as often as underwatering.

Keep it indoors for now but these Elms prefer to be out once the frosts have passed, in late spring.

For now read, read and read more.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

chinese elm Empty chines elm

Post  jason Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:24 pm

Ok I willkeep an eye on it,also because its indoors at the minute and not going through its dormant phase should i still give it the same amount of fertaliser as you would in the summer or should this be cut down accordingley?

jason

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:01 pm

No feeding now. It's resting for the winter.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

chinese elm Empty Chinese Elm

Post  bonsaisr Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:31 am

Why is it indoors? You have a mild climate. Elms can easily winter outdoors with a little protection.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  jason Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:07 am

well where i am its gettin down to anywhere bitween -5 and -15 at night so i wasnt sure if this is this still ok?

jason

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:29 am

Jason, I keep my Chinese Elms in an unheated greenhouse over the winter up here in west central Scotland. Like yourself we have been experiencing similar cold temperatures both overnight and during the daytime. This is pretty unusual - our normal winter temperatures sit in the -3C (night) to 6C (daytime) range. I only have cheap chinese elms that I use for landscaping, so if one or more of them dies it isn't a calamity. If yours is a prize specimen it may be different. Any chance of a picture?

If you're keeping it indoors for the moment, a coolish window sill will do fine. But stick it outside in a sheltered position once the temperatures look like they are getting back to normal. Whatever that is nowadays.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  jason Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:19 pm

Thanks Fiona,yeah this weather is unusually cold for sure,but if it would be more benaficial for the tree then i will make preparations for moving outside when the milder weather comes,If it comes!!im not sure if it will be a specimine tree, I would like it to be if possible.However it is my first so i really would like to do the best i can with it!also it is about 5yrs old and as far as im aware and has always been indoors,does this make the transition difficult for the tree or will it adapt quitw easily?As for pics I cant at the moment (cameras playing up)but yes i will post some asap.

jason

Back to top Go down

chinese elm Empty Chinese Elm

Post  bonsaisr Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:29 am

I believe the best strategy for a Chinese elm or similar specimen that has been kept indoors is to keep it during the winter in as cool a place as possible, but above freezing. Do not feed it or encourage it to grow, but if it has green leaves, it probably needs some light.
Then in spring, put it outdoors as soon as temperatures go above freezing. If you have time, put it out during the day as early as you can, then take it indoors if it will go below freezing. Once it has been acclimated to the outdoors, leave it out for the rest of its life.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down