Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Potential Shohin, or not

Go down

Potential Shohin, or not Empty Potential Shohin, or not

Post  Guest Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:44 pm

I found this small crabapple growing among other weeds by my work, and I want to know if it is worth collecting this spring or not. The two thick red lines are where I thought the tree should be pruned. And the arrows indicate the direction of future growth. The small red circle shows the bud where the future leader will grow from.

The thing that really caught my attention was the flare at the base which is around 2.5".

Potential Shohin, or not Shohin11

From my experience of crabapples, they bud out wildly when pruned hard in early spring. So I am not too concerned about branch placement at this time.

Thanks,
AH

Back to top Go down

Potential Shohin, or not Empty Re: Potential Shohin, or not

Post  MIKEB Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:47 pm

Well i am no expert, but i dont know that i would be so quick to chop it that low. Will take a long time for the new leader to get any size. I was thinking cut it an inch or 2 above the bend in the trunk and see what pops out there. I know its kinda straight but it does have some movement and a little taper. just a thought.

MIKEB

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:24 am

Here is the same crabapple from the previous picture that I collected last month:

Hopefully, the sacrifice branch will help in thickening the trunk right above the chop, and the other two shoots on the left will develop into rest of the tree. The base and nebari are buried in the turface.

Potential Shohin, or not Crabap10

This will probably be a 3 to 5 year development before it goes in a smaller pot.

- S

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down