Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone think this Maple has any potential?

+4
Bolero
Marty Weiser
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
sad_old_man
8 posters

Go down

Anyone think this Maple has any potential? Empty Anyone think this Maple has any potential?

Post  sad_old_man Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:10 pm

I bought this tree 12yrs ago from a garden centre and after putting it in a larger pot it was placed at the bottom of the garden. Yesterday I noticed the crimson colour and went to investigate. I found the tree under a large overhanging bush and was surprised by its colour. I have since put the tree in a new pot and wondered as I have always wanted one if anyone thought that the tree had any potential to become a bonsai tree or should I forget it and just buy one.

The photographs are bad but then again so are my bonsai skill and knowledge....... Shocked

Anyone think this Maple has any potential? 20160610
Anyone think this Maple has any potential? 20160614
Anyone think this Maple has any potential? 20160611
Anyone think this Maple has any potential? 20160613
Anyone think this Maple has any potential? 20160612

sad_old_man

Back to top Go down

Anyone think this Maple has any potential? Empty Re: Anyone think this Maple has any potential?

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:04 pm

it already is a bonsai because it is a tree in a pot.

now its just a matter you wanting to make it a good bonsai...

even trees that may appear to be worth it (and i am NOT saying that is the case with this one) can be valuable for learning and making mistakes on before investing in better stock.

mistakes can be expensive and heartbreaking when dealing with really good material.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Anyone think this Maple has any potential? Empty Re: Anyone think this Maple has any potential?

Post  sad_old_man Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:14 pm

beer city snake wrote:it already is a bonsai because it is a tree in a pot.

now its just a matter you wanting to make it a good bonsai...

even trees that may appear to be worth it (and i am NOT saying that is the case with this one) can be valuable for learning and making mistakes on before investing in better stock.

mistakes can be expensive and heartbreaking when dealing with really good material.

Thank you for the reply which only tells me only what I already know that its a tree in a pot that could/could not be transformed into a bonsai tree! So based on those obvious facts, may I go further into the subject and ask:

1. Has the tree any potential to become a (good) bonsai?
2. If the answer to question 1. is yes then what is the best way for me to go about it?

sad_old_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:21 pm

it doesnt matter if first attempts are good or bad bonsai...
the point is to learn from it...

not trying to be obtuse, but your questions are very broad which can only receive a broad answer...

how to go about it ?
start with research about bonsai techniques for that particular tree...

i.e. pruning, repotting, developing branches and ramification, etc.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:16 am

My thoughts on trying to make a good bonsai from this tree.
Good points
- It looks like the trunk has some movement.
- Good color, particularly if it was in the shade.
- It is a maple and will probably bud back very well if cut back hard.
- It survived 12 years of limited care.
Bad points
- I don't like the top that curves over.
- it does not appear to have much of a nebari (root flare).
- I don't like the deeply cut Japanese maple leaves for bonsai, but some folks do.
Unknown points
- is it grafted? if so where?

Personally, I would probably not try to make it into a traditional bonsai. I have one like it in a similar pot on the front steps to the house so I can use the oddly curving branches to display the leaves.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  sad_old_man Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:40 pm

beer city snake wrote:it doesnt matter if first attempts are good or bad bonsai...
the point is to learn from it...

not trying to be obtuse, but your questions are very broad which can only receive a broad answer...

how to go about it ?
start with research about bonsai techniques for that particular tree...

i.e. pruning, repotting, developing branches and ramification, etc.

Thank you for taking the time to reply and your helpful comments.

sad_old_man

Back to top Go down

Post  sad_old_man Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:57 pm

Marty Weiser wrote:My thoughts on trying to make a good bonsai from this tree.
Good points
- It looks like the trunk has some movement.
- Good color, particularly if it was in the shade.
- It is a maple and will probably bud back very well if cut back hard.
- It survived 12 years of limited care.
Bad points
- I don't like the top that curves over.
- it does not appear to have much of a nebari (root flare).
- I don't like the deeply cut Japanese maple leaves for bonsai, but some folks do.
Unknown points
- is it grafted? if so where?

Personally, I would probably not try to make it into a traditional bonsai. I have one like it in a similar pot on the front steps to the house so I can use the oddly curving branches to display the leaves.

Thank you very much fort those helpful remarks.

Yes it has had 12yrs of limited care???? I would personally describe it as 12yrs of complete neglect! When I found it the other day I literally pulled it out of its pot and placed it in a slightly bigger pot. I didn't want to mess with the root system or canopy until I had sought advice. The tree is not grafted, has not been wired or touched in any way so bearing in mind the other members comments about costly mistakes I can't fail really can I? I already like the tree, It only cost me £6.50 from the garden centre and the only other cost involved is 12yrs of my personal time neglecting it.

Now I have decided to say what the hell and HACK! it around, could you possibly advise me as to the best way to begin the process. Any techniques I need to know about I will gladly research on the net.

Once again thank you for your time and help.

sad_old_man

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:26 pm

Hard to give direction from the pictures since the long looping branches obscure the trunk and they are taken from above. I would cut the long branches back to a promising minor branch or two (seal the larger wounds) and see what develops. Make sure to keep it well fertilized to get as much back budding as possible.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Anyone think this Maple has any potential? Empty Japanese Maple Potential...

Post  Bolero Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:29 pm

Yes they have Bonsai potential.. too soon to tell How Much Potential...

Start by pruning/cutting back several branches to obtain some semetry or balance to the tree and give you another perspective...

Listen to Kevin he has gpood advice...

Anyone think this Maple has any potential? 20160611

Anyone think this Maple has any potential? 20160610
Bolero
Bolero

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:09 pm

Crimson Queen. Big nodes. Nasty graft at the base. Long, lanky leaves that won't reduce much. Pretty landscape tree.
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:18 pm

Just what Lance said.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:46 am

M. Frary wrote:  Just what Lance said.

+1
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:09 pm

Bolero wrote: Listen to Kevin he has gpood advice...

um... er... must be a different kevin Embarassed
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Carterbeall Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:19 pm

Well, if you wanted to mess around with it, you might keep the bend and do something like this (It's an old trident, but you get the point):
I definitely agree that the graft is going to be the biggest issue because there's not much to do to fix that.
Anyone think this Maple has any potential? Triden10

Carterbeall

Back to top Go down

Post  Carterbeall Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:32 pm

Oh, and a few more thoughts:
The laceleaf maples are not that vigourous and it is probably not a good idea to do really hard cuts on them. What you mentioned above about maples backbudding well is true of many but not all types.
Second, have you tried poking around the base for surface roots? They are most often buried with some smaller roots growing on top of them.
There is a good laceleaf at the NC arboretum that is grafted. The graft is still apparent, but aside from that it is a pretty good bonsai.
Still, if you don't like the laceleaf types, it's probably not worth the time or money to make this into bonsai. I suggest that you find a landscape tree in the neighborhood, then locate a fat branch section where multiple shoots emerge at one place and airlayer it just below there. That way you will be starting with material that has great taper and a radial root spread for almost no cost.

Carterbeall

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:28 am

You can still enjoy your tree! Here is a nice looking tree in a fancy container....you can aim for something like this.
Anyone think this Maple has any potential? Img_1210

Nice, right?
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:36 pm

hah - i have a very similarly shaped lace leaf in a very similar pot !

do i call it a bonsai ?
yes
is it a "good" bonsai ?
nah
is it an attractive tree in an attractive pot ?
yep and that = bonsai Wink
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down