Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Planning a Rock Planting

4 posters

Go down

Planning a Rock Planting Empty Planning a Rock Planting

Post  jgeanangel Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:17 pm

Hello all, It has been a while since I have posted but here is video that talks about a stone that I am planning to use for a vertical rock planting. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do but since I have a while before I will actually undertake this project I thought I might ask for some input.

If this were your stone to plant, what would be important to you in the process and outcome?

Thanks,
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Planning a Rock Planting Empty Re: Planning a Rock Planting

Post  Guest Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:03 pm

John,

that's a very good rock with lots of character. I'm not so sure with tree though, kinda big for the rock and the root ball would need lots of space from the upper part of the rock.

If it were my rock, i would probably put it in a shallow elongated pot then plant vertical trees at the base of the rock, then put some smaller trees planted in vertical position onto the rocks, gradually reducing volume and sizes of tree and foliage as the small trees ascend on the rock.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:33 pm

WOW! That's a nice stone you've got there John. Why can't I find good stuff like this? *sigh*

How far did you have to carry it and how long were you in hospital afterwards?

I like the idea of putting it in a pot. The one you used as an example was just the right size, I think. As for the tree, I think your idea with the Juniper is spot on. Maybe add a scattering of ferns/mosses?

Looking forward to watching this project progress.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks Jun...I appreciate your insight. I hope you will have a different opinion of the juniper once it has been trained for this rock. There is a perfect crook between the roots and the trunk that will allow the tree's base to be snugged right up against the stone.

Thanks Steve, Fortunately I didn't have to carry it very far!

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:47 am

Good luck then John!

Keep us posted on the progress.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:55 am

Hi John, Your stone is beautiful! That is a heavy stone. Are there pots made strong enough to support the weight of a pillar like that? I can't imagine a pot with feet would be wise. I like the idea of planting on the stone; mucked and mossed with accents. Kimura could be a good source for inspiration. I have a piece of iron stone which sits in my garden which could be an incredible bonsai, but I can't move it around very well; it weighs over 150 pounds (I think), so in the garden it stays!
Have fun dreaming and planning your project! Certainly keep us posted.
Regards, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:25 pm

140lbs!

Good lord!

Looking forward to seeing more of this one, John.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down