Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ROCK PLANTING REPOTTED

+9
Todd Ellis
Hawaiian77
Geof
John Quinn
jgeanangel
Rick Moquin
pine queen
bumblebee
mike page
13 posters

Go down

ROCK PLANTING REPOTTED Empty ROCK PLANTING REPOTTED

Post  mike page Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:49 pm

I acquired the rock about 16 years ago, and the San Jose Juniper about 20 years ago. The juni was 5 gallon nursery stock, and has been attached to the base of the rock for about 15 years. The roots grow into the pot, and can be easily trimmed by lifting the rock from the pot.
Today I repotted tree and rock into this Sara Rayner pot. Height including pot is 24 inches.

ROCK PLANTING REPOTTED Kv-1-211
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

ROCK PLANTING REPOTTED Empty Re: ROCK PLANTING REPOTTED

Post  bumblebee Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:05 am

Its beautiful. How do you keep the rock from falling over?

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  pine queen Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:38 am

There is a broom stick that passes through the table, up through the pot and through the rock. Am I getting warm? Beautiful look!

Q

pine queen

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Moquin Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:52 am

This is "transformer" not bonsai.

These are crude observation, but there is absolutely no balance in the entire composition. The rock overwhelms the entire composition, altough it should mesh with the tree, it overpowers it.

If you enjoy this composition, then that it all that matters.

Last edited by Rick Moquin on Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  pine queen Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:32 am

"Beauty in things exists merely in the mind which contemplates them" David Hume

I see a fantastic precipice cliff (rock) that scales in well in texture with a tree that has done its best to grow under challenging circumstances but still manages some grace. Sarah would be proud to see this effort. Thanks for showing!

Q

pine queen

Back to top Go down

ROCK PLANTING REPOTTED Empty Grace and decency

Post  jgeanangel Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:39 am

Rick Moquin wrote:

Another waste of a beautiful Sarah Rayner IMO.

Hey Mike, Thanks for sharing...I always appreciate the level of detail in your work and your photography!!
John

Rick...I noticed that you left off the "H" from the end of your statement quoted above...but then again it appears to be missing from your implied intent as well???

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks all for your comments, pro and con. Cool

Libby, to answer your question; The rock can stand on it's own, even out of the pot as it is fairly flat on the bottom. In this case, it's wired to the pot though the drain holes using #12 copper wire. It's very stable.

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:14 pm

Mike...have you considered bringing in the foliage into more of a cascade image? Love the pot...

ROCK PLANTING REPOTTED Page10
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:14 am

[quote="Rick Moquin"]This is "transformer" not bonsai. quote]

Rick, you don't like the rock planting, and that's ok. But one thing has been bugging me, so I must ask. What the hell is a "transformer"? Rolling Eyes As an old electrician I know the word as it applies to voltage, but understanding it's use in this case eludes me. Please explain. Thanks.

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

ROCK PLANTING REPOTTED Empty RE: Rock Planting Repotted

Post  Geof Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:08 pm

Hi Mike,
Your tree reminds me of this Nick Lenz creation Alien Gobble.
ROCK PLANTING REPOTTED Larch_11
Do you have a photo without the rock? The tree has nice movement!
Regards,
Geof
Geof
Geof

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:15 pm

Howzit Mike,
Very interesting composition. I would like to see more branches to may be a cascade but really liking the bonsai pot. Very Happy

-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:50 pm

Geof wrote:Hi Mike,
Do you have a photo without the rock? The tree has nice movement!
Regards,
Geof

Geoff, I don't have any "before" pictures of this tree. Before I acquired the rock. the juniper was in a training pot and had never been photographed.
Attached is a pic taken in 2004.

ROCK PLANTING REPOTTED Horseh12
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:03 am

Mike, was there die-back on this tree between 2004 - current? I like the fuller tree "before" compared to the newer minimal (foliage pads) look. Or, did you try to make the tree look older by reducing the number of foliage pads? Or was there another reason? Where did you find that beautiful rock? The pot is perfect for the rock! Great composition. Regards, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  sixhunter Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:04 am

Hmm, for some reasons I agree with Rick. I personally feel that the composition is kind of weird. The "weight" of the rock seems like it is "crushing" on the tree itself, and my first impression/visual was that it doesnt seem right/natural. I just cant help feeling the "weight" itself feels weird. Maybe it's just me and Rick perhaps? ROCK PLANTING REPOTTED Confused
sixhunter
sixhunter

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaistud Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:43 pm

G'day Mike and all...

To me, this is the classic depiction of the fight for survival...and less foliage is better...it shouldn't look like it just came from the hairdresser. Furthermore, the rock SHOULD overwhelm the tree. And, the pot works very well...

Outstanding my friend...

IMAFMHO (InMyAncientFeebleMindedHumbleOpinion)…

Pat…mounted on my trusty stead, riding off wildly in all directions…
bonsaistud
bonsaistud

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:16 pm

bonsaistud wrote:G'day Mike and all...

To me, this is the classic depiction of the fight for survival...and less foliage is better...it shouldn't look like it just came from the hairdresser. Furthermore, the rock SHOULD overwhelm the tree. And, the pot works very well...

Outstanding my friend...

IMAFMHO (InMyAncientFeebleMindedHumbleOpinion)…

Pat…mounted on my trusty stead, riding off wildly in all directions…

Thanks Pat. You have the correct view. The mountain is always large and the tree is small.
In this cass the viewer should imagine the rock as being much larger than it appears in the picture. Bonsai is about imagination. Following is a haiku I posted on another site. It may be appropriate here, with a minor change I made to line 3.

IMAGINATION
A JOURNEY WITHIN THE MIND
A TRUTH DISCOVERED

Last edited by mike page on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:54 pm

"Every picture tells a story" or so the song by Rod Steward goes. This tree and the rock to which it clings to tells of a story very common to the mountains. A story that is very similar to stories that inspired Zen Monks and Sumi-e Painters of ancient Japan. The story of persistence, survival amidst odds and grace under pressure.

The large overbearing rock, the feeble tree with its sparse foliage, clinging onto the rock for dear life, is almost a real life picture of what one often finds in the mountains.

A story very well told indeed and something very similar to Mike's own in the last couple of years.

Keep it up Mike... thumbs up
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:21 pm

Ravi Kiran wrote:"Every picture tells a story" or so the song by Rod Steward goes. This tree and the rock to which it clings to tells of a story very common to the mountains. A story that is very similar to stories that inspired Zen Monks and Sumi-e Painters of ancient Japan. The story of persistence, survival amidst odds and grace under pressure.

The large overbearing rock, the feeble tree with its sparse foliage, clinging onto the rock for dear life, is almost a real life picture of what one often finds in the mountains.

A story very well told indeed and something very similar to Mike's own in the last couple of years.

Keep it up Mike... thumbs up

Thanks, Ravi. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Mike
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

ROCK PLANTING REPOTTED Empty Hmmm

Post  Mike Pollock Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:12 am

I like the current trunk line along with the foliage from the 2004 photo.

Actually, I'd prefer the foliage silhouette from 2004 with the trunk line and smaller foliage density of the current tree. I'd reduce the current density, then wire the remaining foliage to resemble the older image.

But that's just me... Smile

BTW Mike, are you coming to Bill V's 2nd U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition?
Mike Pollock
Mike Pollock

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Mike Pollock wrote:.

BTW Mike, are you coming to Bill V's 2nd U.S. National Bonsai Exhibition?

Mike
I haven't made up my mind yet, but probably not. Airfare from the West Coast to Rochester is big bucks. But, it's still in the "maybe" category.
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down