Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ISLAND - MOUNTAINS

5 posters

Go down

ISLAND - MOUNTAINS Empty ISLAND - MOUNTAINS

Post  trantanhung_nt Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Hello Forum IBC ,
Salute you ,
I send up to you following stone ... ( It' s a stone of DI LINH - BẢO LỘC Province , VIỆT NAM )
I tried presentation style SUISEKI - JAPAN ( Island in SUIBAN water ) ...?
Please let me know your feel and your assesment ...
Thank you
Sincerely
Hưng - Trần .
_ISLAND - MOUNTAINS :
ISLAND - MOUNTAINS 79_1
ISLAND - MOUNTAINS 79_2

trantanhung_nt

Back to top Go down

ISLAND - MOUNTAINS Empty Re: ISLAND - MOUNTAINS

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:41 am

I like that presentation.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:10 am

Hi Hung Tran,
Good stone is your bottom cut?I like it in a longer suiban to give stone more emphasis.thanks for sharing

Regards,
Alex
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  trantanhung_nt Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:38 pm

Hi Billy M. Rhodes ,
Thank you for your review.
I also enjoyed drawing it' s natural .
Sincerely
Hưng - Trần .

trantanhung_nt

Back to top Go down

Post  trantanhung_nt Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:43 pm

Hi Ogie ,
Many thanks for your review : Suiban not long enough and wide .
This is the uncut stone ( the bottom is very special... almost flat )
Regards
Hưng Trần .

trantanhung_nt

Back to top Go down

Post  vlado Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:41 pm

Hi Hung Tran
Stone is nice but you know, suiban is too small , but deep for this stone. Color of suiban is very sweet.Dark color is better.
Sand is better than water. So, suiban can be bigger maybe three times and no so deep.
Vlado

vlado

Back to top Go down

Post  trantanhung_nt Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:14 am

Hi vlado ,
Many thanks for your comments and criticism .
Regards
Hưng - Trần .

trantanhung_nt

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi Hung Tran... I'm only a student, Hung, but think you've chosen excellent placement for opposite sides of the stone. You placed them in a tray which is not unnecessarily wide/long, which is usually the best choice-- especially for stones placed near-center. You did not squeeze either so close to one side that it feels cramped, which is good. You distinguished which needs a larger open space to one side to indicate the stone's flow, which feels exactly right.

Since the stone is relatively flat on the side which is down, it would look like a larger & more engaging scene in a shallow suiban/tray. Decreasing the height of the sand does not help because the exposed inside rim of the suiban makes the scene feel smaller even though the suiban's width might be fine.

Someone suggested that the suiban is not wide/long enough. For the first placement, the suiban is within range of the right width for me; the range of correct width is not a singular or mathematically-conceived exacting length, but rather within a range of length that is not distractingly ill-sized. The true suiban width is not fully felt if the the entire bottom of the suiban is covered but not close to filled, as in your illustrations. When sand is close to filling the suiban, even the suiban's lip contributes to the feeling of "width."

This suiban is too deep to best display this stone, which you understand. You have to work with what you have. Although the shallow sand signals the stone has a flat bottom (which privileges the stone), it distracts from the scene feeling unbounded. Given those options, I would choose to raise the stone in the suiban as well as the sand. It would signal the stone has a bottom that is probably not flat, but not distract from the scene. In my opinion, the display of an unbounded scene is more important than proof (or signalling) of the stone' flatness. Because the stone foot runs out improbably toward the right side for a naturally-flat stone, the suiban might need to be a bit deep (though not this deep) to make the stone appear natural rather than cut.

Your first image is arguably the best placement because of it concave footprint across the entire front edge of the stone and the extraordinary run-out of the mountain foot at the right & left foot of the stone. This is near ideal for engaging the viewer in a mountain scene. You could constrruct a mat with a false center to make your suiban appear less deep.

The second image is also engaging with various coves between peaks exaggerating the ends of headlands looking out to sea (or abutting a dry plain). As you indicate, these headlands require viewing the scene with more open suiban space leftward (supporting greater visual flow of the stone leftward).

The second image would be enhanced by a considerably wider (left to right) & shallower suiban to support its stronger visual flow.

Last edited by Chris Cochrane on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  trantanhung_nt Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:24 pm

Hi CHRIS COCHRANE ,
Many thanks for the encouragement and enthusiasm of your articles
You are being me the nessessary knowledge for the game view stones ( many myterious ...)
I agree with your critics and choice for stone and the way presented it .
Regards
Hưng - Trần .

trantanhung_nt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down