Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Larch Repotting

3 posters

Go down

Larch Repotting Empty Larch Repotting

Post  Bonsai4life Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:12 am

Hi. I would like to ask if this is a good time to repot a larch bonsai (about 25yrs old), i will try to post the pics tomorrow. I live in Fresno, California.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jason.

Bonsai4life

Back to top Go down

Larch Repotting Empty Larch Repotting

Post  bonsaisr Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:58 am

I'm not sure about your climate, but I was told that the time to repot a larch is when the buds turn shiny & start to swell. If there is more than a dot of green, it is already too late & wait till next year.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Larch Repotting Empty Re: Larch Repotting

Post  Bonsai4life Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:49 am

We never get below 10F here in Fresno. I might be wrong, but after a bit of research, i saw that some folks prefer to repot conifers in the late fall. That's why i was wondering if i should repot this larch (i got this tree from a bonsai nursery, and they told me that the tree has been in this pot for 3 yrs).

Thank you very much for the reply.
Jason

Bonsai4life

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:51 am

Larch are not the same as other conifers, obviously, as they shed all their needles and shut down more for winter. Three years in the pot shouldn't make it an urgent candidate for a repot. Not so urgent that you risk anything. Wait for the buds to tell you it is repotting time, as Iris suggests, and all will be well. I've never lost one from hundreds repotted doing it this way. I have lost the occasional one collected too early.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bonsai4life Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:34 pm

ohh. so i guess i should wait until spring to repot it.

Bonsai4life

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down